Frequent Contributor
DenisePW
0 Kudos

Libraries: No New EBooks

It seems that now that the last publisher caved in to the agency model, there are virtually no best sellers available in epub format at the libraries.  Checking Overdrive, only 3 of the first 12 top NYTimes best sellers are available in any US ilbrary.  Interesting. So it's not even that the libraries can't afford to purchase ebooks using the newest, absurd licensing model, but the books themselvare are not even being made available.  I wonder if this comes from the authors or the publishers themselves, as authors that I used to find in libraries no longer seem to be making their newest available. Either way, the publishers have won:  there's a new price point (upwards of $12.99); and, more importantly for them, there are no free reads:  they are keeping books out of libraries, either permanently or at the minimum are not making them available in the first weeks after release (thereby shutting out the option of some e-reader users to wait for a new book to become available at a local library).  The "new books" seen at libraries now, or those listed as "bestsellers" are at least 6-10 months old.

Kind of sad.  Although I applaud ereader use, I am sad to think that libraries are dying....

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,004
0 Kudos

Re: Libraries: No New EBooks

DenisePW wrote:

they are keeping books out of libraries, either permanently or at the minimum are not making them available in the first weeks after release (thereby shutting out the option of some e-reader users to wait for a new book to become available at a local library).

That may or may not be the case. Libraries have to buy the e-books to get them available, and that usually involves some administrative work. Government agencies aren't known for moving quickly — except when they're out to get you — so this could be just be paperwork delay.

Or it could indeed be at the publisher's end.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

Government agencies aren't known for moving quickly — except when they're out to get you — so this could be just be paperwork delay.

Or it could indeed be at the publisher's end.

*dons Pollyanna Sunshine cap*

Or it could just be libraries deciding that since Harper Collins has neutered their ebooks, the other pulblisehrs might follow suit and it's better to hold onto the budgeted funds rather than piss them down the toilet.  They could just be waiting to see what happens.

B&N Bookseller
Brad_W
0 Kudos

Interstingly enough, ebooks at libraries are handled very much the same way as print books.  They purchase the rights for so many downloads at one time (usually one or two).  That license pricing, from what one librarian told me, is not nearly the same as an ebook price you and I pay when buying one.  

As time goes on, these new challenges will even out.  

With purpose and on purpose
Frequent Contributor
DenisePW
0 Kudos

I think what I find so disturbing is that the books aren't even available for the libraries to purchase from Overdrive, which is the distributor that libraries use. 
D

Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa

It's too bad we can organize some kind of boycott by everyone with an ereader - don't buy any ebooks or new print books until the publishers renounce the agency model and their hostility toward libraries.  There are plenty of books at used bookstores (who could use the business!) that we haven't read to keep us happy for months.

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

DenisePW wrote:
I think what I find so disturbing is that the books aren't even available for the libraries to purchase from Overdrive, which is the distributor that libraries use. 

Are we sure about this?  Just because nobody has bought doesn't necessarily mean they aren't being made available.

It's probably the only statistically likely possibility but until it's confirmed I can hold out hope that it's much less nefarious, can't I?

Frequent Contributor
DenisePW
0 Kudos

I would like to think it's much less nefarious as well, but my instinct is that this is being driven by the publishers are we are on the losing side of the equation.  Overdrive is the library distributor; I don't think they can get many books from other sources other than those for free books, those with no DRM.  The books I have been watching are all best sellers from well known authors.  They are just not available on Overdrive.  Right after I got my nook, I would ask my library to obtain certain books.  The librarians advised me that they could only purchase what was available from Overdrive, and the librarians directed me as to how to search Overdrive for a book's availability. Here's the link:  

http://search.overdrive.com/

When I have searched Overdrive recently, as I noted in my first post, only 3 of the top 12 NYTimes best sellers were even available in ebook format.  

Disconcerting.  

D

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,004

[ Edited ]

DenisePW wrote:

only 3 of the top 12 NYTimes best sellers were even available in ebook format.

Which list are you looking at?

Combined Print and Ebook list:

1. Water for Elephants [Algonquin/Workman] - Available
  2. Buried Prey [Penguin] - Not Available
  3. Dead Reckoning [Penguin] - Available
  4. 10th Anniversary [Little, Brown/Hachette] - Available for Sale only
  5. Something Borrowed [St. Martins/Macmillan] - Macmillan title
  6. The Help [Penguin] - Available
  7. The Sixth Man [Grand Central/Hachette] - Available for Sale only
  8. The Lincoln Lawyer [Little, Brown/Hachette] - Available
  9. A Game of Thrones [Random House] - Available
  10. Something Blue [St. Martins/Macmillan] - Macmillan title
  11. The Fifth Witness [Little, Brown/Hachette] - Available for Sale only
  12. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest [Knopf Doubleday/Random House] - Available

So out of that 12, we have 6 available for library rental, 2 Macmillan titles (Macmillan won't participate in library lending), 1 that's completely unavailable through Overdrive, and 3 non-Macmillan titles that are available for sale but not lending.

Those three are all from Little, Brown, and two are from the same author: Michael Connelly. This does suggest that it is indeed publisher-specific, and only affects titles by Little, Brown.

Distinguished Correspondent
GeneHunter
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

All the books that Doug listed as available are listed at Maryland's Digiral eLibrary Consortium, which includes most of the county systems.  I put a hold on a couple of them while researching this.

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

I'm not trying to be a huge wet blanket but the situation will probably be much worse by the end of the year. Nate Hoffelder spoke to the Overdrive rep at the BEA conference about Amazon's entry into public library lending. He says: "I’m still not sure how they plan to work the technical details, but my source was quite clear. If a library owns an ebook in Mobi, Epub, or PDF, that eBook will be lendable for the Kindle." Since it's clear the book will be checked out through Overdrive and the book downloaded from Amazon, it's the license, not the book, that will be checked out. (If you'll recall, Amazon said that highlights and notes would be available if the book is later purchased) However long you've been having to wait for a book, you'll have to wait much longer...you will have Kindle owners competing for that same book once this goes into effect. The way library budgets are being slashed, it's not likely they'll have the resources to purchase a lot of new book licenses.

Frequent Contributor
Ostracus
0 Kudos

Yes and hopefully it'll be the independents that lead the way.

Frequent Contributor
DenisePW

Doug, 

From the list you were checking, 6 of the 12 were available to libraries to be lent to the public.  Of that 6, The Help, The Lincoln Lawyer and Hornet's Nest are all "older" books (pre-agency model). I just am noticing that there are less and less newer ebooks; the more popular, best seller books do not seem to me to have availability to libraries.  I will be more observant to see if it is indeed Little Brown that has dug in its heels like MacMillan.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

DenisePW wrote:

Doug, 

From the list you were checking, 6 of the 12 were available to libraries to be lent to the public.  Of that 6, The Help, The Lincoln Lawyer and Hornet's Nest are all "older" books (pre-agency model). I just am noticing that there are less and less newer ebooks; the more popular, best seller books do not seem to me to have availability to libraries.  I will be more observant to see if it is indeed Little Brown that has dug in its heels like MacMillan.

It might also be a money issue.  Some government agencies run on a fiscal year that ends June 30, they may have simply run out of money at this time and you may see purchases pick up again in July.

Inspired Correspondent
NikiGunn

One of the libraries I go to adds new books all the time. They've had e-books for approximately 8 months but already have over 1,700 fiction titles and most having waiting lists. Of the other libraries I hold cards at, two add books regularly and the others add sporadically, but all generally add books around the first of the month. They may not be bestsellers, but I usually have no interest in bestsellers. I keep track to get in a good spot on the waiting lists. 

Brad_W wrote:

That license pricing, from what one librarian told me, is not nearly the same as an ebook price you and I pay when buying one.  

My sister is a reference librarian and in charge of the non-fiction e-book purchases for her library. Your librarian source is right -- libraries pay much more than we do for their e-books. My sister says a cheap e-book is in the low 20s and most are more than that. I'm not sure what her budget is each quarter. She won't buy HarperCollins books anymore since they added the 26 checkout limitation. She doesn't want to squander her tiny budget.

Wordsmith
swan480

bklvr896 wrote:

It might also be a money issue.  Some government agencies run on a fiscal year that ends June 30, they may have simply run out of money at this time and you may see purchases pick up again in July.

I've been lurking on this thread and it's driving me crazy that people aren't getting this.  In order for a library to buy an ebook it first has to be available through Overdrive.  The OP is commenting on how few new ebooks are even available through Overdrive, rather than what's been purchased by specific libraries.  I believe the publishers decide which ebooks to make available to libraries, not Overdrive, but in either case this has nothing to do with library funding or purchases.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

swan480 wrote:

I've been lurking on this thread and it's driving me crazy that people aren't getting this.  In order for a library to buy an ebook it first has to be available through Overdrive.  The OP is commenting on how few new ebooks are even available through Overdrive, rather than what's been purchased by specific libraries.  

No, what was said that of the NYT Top 12 , only 3  were available in any US Library.

Second, Doug explained that of the top 12, 2 were Macmillan so obviously not available to libraries and 3 were Little Brown and not available, suggesting that Little Brown is/will be following Macillan model of snubbing libraries and a single Penguin title not available through Overdrive for any reason.  This left 6 which were available at Overdrive for library lending. 

OP has then said that it "seemed newer books were not available to libraries" but we haven't done any analysis to know if it's true that newer books aren't available or if it's just a Little Brown following Macmillan.  

So far it seems more that we've got 2 of 6 publishers being bastards than that all of the publishers have removed only their new books.  We haven't confirmed either but the former is what we have evidence for. 

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

Thanks for the link DenisePW, that was very helpful!

Pinky

Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

swan480 wrote:

I've been lurking on this thread and it's driving me crazy that people aren't getting this.  In order for a library to buy an ebook it first has to be available through Overdrive.  The OP is commenting on how few new ebooks are even available through Overdrive, rather than what's been purchased by specific libraries.  

No, what was said that of the NYT Top 12 , only 3  were available in any US Library.

Here is exactly what the OP said:
"Checking Overdrive, only 3 of the first 12 top NYTimes best sellers are available in any US ilbrary."
The emphasis is mine, because she was clearly talking about what's available through Overdrive, rather than what individual libraries are buying.
Then later, when everyone kept misunderstanding, the OP gave the link for search.overdrive.com, which is how you find books available to libraries:

DenisePW wrote:

The librarians advised me that they could only purchase what was available from Overdrive, and the librarians directed me as to how to search Overdrive for a book's availability. Here's the link:  

http://search.overdrive.com/

The ebooks available at this link have nothing to do with what original libraries can afford to buy.  If an ebook doesn't have a "find at a library" button beside it, the libraries can't purchase it.  Whether or not they have the money.
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

swan480 wrote:
The ebooks available at this link have nothing to do with what original libraries can afford to buy.  If an ebook doesn't have a "find at a library" button beside it, the libraries can't purchase it.  Whether or not they have the money.

Which I flipping understand.  The comment was that at Overdrive she'd found that libraries had only purchased 3 of that 12, which spurred the concern.  Doug showed that 6 of that 12 were available for purchase by libraries.  So their not being available was false, no?

If NEW books aren't available, give some examples.  Then maybe we'll have some evidence that new books aren't available for purchase by libraries.  Right now we don't have any evidence of that.  Right now it more appears that Little Brown is following in Macmillan's footsteps. 

It's entirely possible that the books aren't being made available.  But from what was originally purchased, that wasn't the only possible conclusion.  

Since you seem to want to make the assertion but provide no evidence, I'll go flipping look.