Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Re: Libraries: No New EBooks

[ Edited ]

Ya_Ya wrote:

It's entirely possible that the books aren't being made available.  But from what was originally purchased, that wasn't the only possible conclusion.  

Since you seem to want to make the assertion but provide no evidence, I'll go flipping look.

• Caleb's Crossing      [Penguin]   5/3/11    Not Available
  • In the Garden of Beasts     [Crown]      5/10/11    AVAILABLE
  • Lies Chelsea Handler Told Me    [Grand Central/Hachette]  5/10/11   For Sale Only
  • America Pacifica   [Little Brown/Hachette]  5/18/11  For Sale Only
  • Bossypants   [Little Brown/Hachette] 4/5/11  For Sale Only 
  • I'll Walk Alone   [Simon & Shuster]  4/5/11    For Sale Only
  • 44 Charles Street   [Random House]  4/5/11  AVAILABLE
  • Swim Back to Me   [Knopf/Doubleday]  4/12/11   AVAILABLE
  • The Pale King  [Little Brown/Hachette]  4/15/11   For Sale Only
  • The Pale King  [Penguin]  4/15/11  AVAILABLE
  • Abandon   [Scholastic]  4/26/11   Not Available

(I don't understand how The Pale King is both Little Brown and Penguin, but according to Overdrive it is; same authors, different cover art, one available, one not available to libraries???)

I realize this is a small sample; I had trouble finding many lists of new releases to work from; these are April & May's higlights from a random book club I googled.  Most of the results were Hachette - and those are not being provided to libraries.  Random House and Knopf seem to still have new books available.  [New Releases per Barnes & Noble included books 6 months old; not the point of the exercisse I didn't think.]

It wouldn't surprise me if publishers quit selling ala Macmillan or limited like Harper Collins with Kindle announcing their participation; it's the same behavior they exhibited when Kindle began allowing Lend Me...

I still don't think we can draw any conclusions because I have a disproportionate number of Hachette up there.  I think it's fair to say that Hatchette is beginning to limit the ebooks they provide/sell to libraries - I'm not sure if we can say everyone's doing it yet, though. 

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

A few more  (list from goodreader that I should have just gone to in the first place)

• The Kane Chronicles: Throne of Fire     [Disney]     5/3/11   Not Available
  • Buried Prey   [Penguin ]   5/10/11   Title not found
  • Magic Slays [Penguin]   5/31/11   AVAILABLE   < --- release date seems wrong, but I double checked it.  :smileyindifferent:
  • Bumped  [HarperCollins]  4/26/11   AVAILABLE
  • City of Fallen Angels  [Walker]   4/5/11  AVAILABLE
  • Chasing Fire  [Penguin]   4/12/11  AVAILABLE

Still not very helfpul because it's not a large enough sample, but it doesn't look as if all publishers are refusing to provide all new releases... 

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ya_Ya wrote:

Ya_Ya wrote:

<snip>

(I don't understand how The Pale King is both Little Brown and Penguin, but according to Overdrive it is; same authors, different cover art, one available, one not available to libraries???)

<snip>

The Pale King is available in libraries in the UK. Penguin Adult publishes this book in the UK...Hachette publishes it in the US.

ETA: Although I said Hachette, technically it is Little, Brown...I believe Hachette owns LB.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Tim40744 wrote:

The Pale King is available in libraries in the UK. Penguin Adult publishes this book in the UK...Hachette publishes it in the US.

Gracias!  

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

Tim40744 wrote:

Gracias!  

You almost need Sherlock Holmes to figure out what book is published in what locale.  :smileyvery-happy:

Wordsmith
swan480

Ya_Ya, I don't understand why you are so angry, but I think you are misunderstanding my comments.  Please reread my original post and you'll see that I was responding solely to the folks who kept suggesting funding as the reason why the libraries don't have these ebooks, even after the OP explained how to search Overdrive to see whether ebooks are even available to the libraries.

But since you seem to want me to stay on topic, yes, Doug found that 6 of the 12 titles are available in Overdrive -- but the OP was looking at the availability of new titles.  As she pointed out, 3 of the 6 Overdrive has aren't actually new, which was why she disregarded them.

Not that it bothers me much.  My reading list is so long that I rarely ever read books right when they come out, anyway.

Frequent Contributor
DenisePW
0 Kudos

Didn't mean to get everyone angry at each other (which is not to say I wasn't interested in pointing out the unsavory behavior of the publishers intent on eliminating free access to free ebooks--even if a reader is willing to wait).  My point has been that it appears to me that the more "popular" fiction---stuff that I find amusing to read, such as Stuart Woods or John Sandford are now joining the ranks of unavailability for purchase by the libraries through Overdrive.  I wasn't saying there's nothing new available; I was saying that it appeared that less was available to libraries through Overdrive than had been in the past.  

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

DenisePW wrote:

Didn't mean to get everyone angry at each other (which is not to say I wasn't interested in pointing out the unsavory behavior of the publishers intent on eliminating free access to free ebooks--even if a reader is willing to wait).  My point has been that it appears to me that the more "popular" fiction---stuff that I find amusing to read, such as Stuart Woods or John Sandford are now joining the ranks of unavailability for purchase by the libraries through Overdrive.  I wasn't saying there's nothing new available; I was saying that it appeared that less was available to libraries through Overdrive than had been in the past.  

Denise, I noticed Strategic Moves by Stuart Woods (Jan 2011) was available through OD in Epub but Bel-Air Dead (Apr. 2011) was only available in audiobook. Penguin appears to be "windowing" and only allowing the ebooks in OD after they've been available for a few months. Without checking others to be more certain, that's my hunch. 

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

swan480 wrote:

Ya_Ya, I don't understand why you are so angry, but I think you are misunderstanding my comments. .

I wasn't the slightest angry.  I was frustrated that you kept repeating an assertion (one which people were likely to take as fact) without providing any evidence of it.    

Contributor
P_Warten
0 Kudos

When I worked in libraries, we would only get the new bestsellers about 2-4 weeks after they were in the bookstores first.  Booksellers want you to buy first.  Rarely did they ship leased copies to libraries at the same time as the bookstores (if it was a surefire bestseller like a Harry Potter title).  So I'm not surprised it takes a few weeks for Overdrive to display the new books.

Correspondent
BooksOnTheKnob

P_Warten wrote:

When I worked in libraries, we would only get the new bestsellers about 2-4 weeks after they were in the bookstores first.  Booksellers want you to buy first.  Rarely did they ship leased copies to libraries at the same time as the bookstores (if it was a surefire bestseller like a Harry Potter title).  So I'm not surprised it takes a few weeks for Overdrive to display the new books.

Which is probably why some library systems buy from Amazon (cheaper, available day one).

Karen
Books on the Knob
http://blog.booksontheknob.org
Frequent Contributor
DenisePW
0 Kudos

Interesting that Overdrive seems to have audiobooks available to libraries far sooner than ebooks. Not so sure that it's a function of money & am more convinced that publishers aren't making books available to Overdrive for library purchase in ebook format. 

D