Reply
Distinguished Correspondent
gobasso
Posts: 156
Registered: ‎12-26-2009

Loss of Laurel Symbol

I know we all have more important things to think about but, I really don't like the star replacement for the old laurel symbol. The old symbol looked like a laurel, something with ties back to the ancient Greeks. The star looks like a hold over from the disco age. I feel better now. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,771
Registered: ‎01-05-2010

Re: Loss of Laurel Symbol

I preferred the old icon also - I found it easier to tell if I'd already given laurels as the laurel box would be dark.  In the new icons I can tell via the plus sign, but it's not as noticeable IMO.

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy
Posts: 514
Registered: ‎03-21-2011

Re: Loss of Laurel Symbol

I like it.  It reminds me, and I hope it remonds everybody of the great Lone Star State.

 

Nah, not really.  Actually I didn't even notice that it changed.  

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
Posts: 2,218
Registered: ‎07-25-2011

Re: Loss of Laurel Symbol

Maybe it's my OCD but I'm just bothered that we have text that sagas "n Laurels" next to a symbol that isn't  a laurel.  If the symbol is a star (or a little over half a star, actually) then it shouldn't be labeled a laurel.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
Posts: 2,486
Registered: ‎01-22-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Loss of Laurel Symbol


MacMcK1957 wrote:

Maybe it's my OCD but I'm just bothered that we have text that sagas "n Laurels" next to a symbol that isn't  a laurel.  If the symbol is a star (or a little over half a star, actually) then it shouldn't be labeled a laurel.


We don't agree on much, but we agree on this.

 

Bibliophile
5ivedom
Posts: 3,544
Registered: ‎12-03-2011

Re: Loss of Laurel Symbol

There's so much wrong with the new one.

 

Like Keriflur I miss knowing instantly whether Laurels had been given or not.

 

Laurel > Star. Especially when the star is half hidden.

 

Let's not even go into the absurdity that is 11 Laurels shown next to a Lone Star State Star.

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy
Posts: 514
Registered: ‎03-21-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Loss of Laurel Symbol


5ivedom wrote:

There's so much wrong with the new one.

 

Like Keriflur I miss knowing instantly whether Laurels had been given or not.

 

Laurel > Star. Especially when the star is half hidden.

 

Let's not even go into the absurdity that is 11 Laurels shown next to a Lone Star State Star.


The stars at night are big and bright

Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
Posts: 586
Registered: ‎05-19-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Loss of Laurel Symbol

[ Edited ]

B&N has apparently renamed laurels as "kudos," so I guess the stars make slightly more sense now.

 

EDIT:  Well, they are still named "laurels" on this thread, although they're showing as kudos on my blog comments.  What is it they say about consistency being the hobgoblin of little minds?

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,771
Registered: ‎01-05-2010

Re: Loss of Laurel Symbol


BrandieC wrote:

B&N has apparently renamed laurels as "kudos," so I guess the stars make slightly more sense now.

 

EDIT:  Well, they are still named "laurels" on this thread, although they're showing as kudos on my blog comments.  What is it they say about consistency being the hobgoblin of little minds?


They are laurels untl you give some, and then they become kudos.  Because that's not confusing at all.

Doug_Pardee
Posts: 5,522
Kudos: 4,015
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Loss of Laurel Symbol

[ Edited ]

BrandieC wrote:

 

B&N has apparently renamed laurels as "kudos,"


"Kudos" is the standard term used by the Lithium forum system. B&N renamed them as "laurels," but never did get them renamed everywhere.

 

What I want to know is why it's "0 laurels" and "2 laurel."

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
Posts: 469
Registered: ‎02-24-2010

Re: Loss of Laurel Symbol

[ Edited ]

Interesting, I gave you a laurel/kudo for your comment and now you no longer have 2 laurel.  However, you are the only one to have kudos.  Congratulations Doug!

 

Now I'm seeing it back to laurel, swear I saw 3 kudos.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
Posts: 2,218
Registered: ‎07-25-2011

Re: Loss of Laurel Symbol

When I laureled/starred/kudoed Doug's post, the label changed to "5 kudos", but when I left the thread and came back, they were back to "5 laurel".

 

Still a few bugs in the system.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
Posts: 1,497
Registered: ‎09-28-2011

Re: Loss of Laurel Symbol

Such first world problems we have.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
Posts: 1,762
Registered: ‎09-10-2011

Re: Loss of Laurel Symbol


kamas716 wrote:
Such first world problems we have.

This is important compared to some of the stories on local tv news.:smileywink:

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
Posts: 2,218
Registered: ‎07-25-2011

Re: Loss of Laurel Symbol


patgolfneb wrote:

kamas716 wrote:
Such first world problems we have.

This is important compared to some of the stories on local tv news.:smileywink:


It's still more important than Snooki's new hair color.

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy
Posts: 514
Registered: ‎03-21-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Loss of Laurel Symbol


beeyebickiebuy wrote:

5ivedom wrote:

There's so much wrong with the new one.

 

Like Keriflur I miss knowing instantly whether Laurels had been given or not.

 

Laurel > Star. Especially when the star is half hidden.

 

Let's not even go into the absurdity that is 11 Laurels shown next to a Lone Star State Star.


The stars at night are big and bright


Clap, Clap, Clap, Clap.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
Posts: 2,218
Registered: ‎07-25-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Loss of Laurel Symbol

Just curious.  Was it always possible to click on the number of laurels to see who awarded them, and I never noticed it before, or is it a new feature?

Nallia
Posts: 4,758
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
Registered: ‎02-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Loss of Laurel Symbol


MacMcK1957 wrote:

Just curious.  Was it always possible to click on the number of laurels to see who awarded them, and I never noticed it before, or is it a new feature?


We've always been able to do that. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy
Posts: 514
Registered: ‎03-21-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Loss of Laurel Symbol


beeyebickiebuy wrote:

beeyebickiebuy wrote:

5ivedom wrote:

There's so much wrong with the new one.

 

Like Keriflur I miss knowing instantly whether Laurels had been given or not.

 

Laurel > Star. Especially when the star is half hidden.

 

Let's not even go into the absurdity that is 11 Laurels shown next to a Lone Star State Star.


The stars at night are big and bright


Clap, Clap, Clap, Clap.


Deep in the heart of Texas.

 

(I am very disappointed that I had to finish that myself.)

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
Posts: 1,762
Registered: ‎09-10-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Loss of Laurel Symbol

Surely you didn't expect cornhusker support during football season.:smileyhappy: