Contributor
mayaBN
0 Kudos

Member price for ebooks?

Has anyone heard if they plan on having member pricing for ebooks like they do for regular books and other things?

This should be a membership benefit and I hope that it is being seriously considered, especially in light of all that is going on with the ebook prices...

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

Re: Member price for ebooks?

I doubt they can.  That is the whole point with Macmillan.  Amazon would have no problem cutting prices to $10 and taking a loss while still giving the publisher the amount they want.  However, the publisher refuses and wants the customer to actually pay the higher price.  I seriously doubt they will authorize any kind of discounting and with it being a license as opposed to a physical book, they have more pull. 

Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

Investing $260 in their eReader device should give all Nook owners a lifetime B&N membership.

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

mayaBN wrote:

Has anyone heard if they plan on having member pricing for ebooks like they do for regular books and other things?

This should be a membership benefit and I hope that it is being seriously considered, especially in light of all that is going on with the ebook prices...

That's why I let mine lapse and spent the money on a Fictionwise membership instead.

Inspired Correspondent
jynclr
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

mayaBN wrote:

That's why I let mine lapse and spent the money on a Fictionwise membership instead.

Yeah, I didn't even become a member because eBooks weren't included in B&M bookclub membership.

I'm considering the Fictionwise membership, but I just don't know if I read enough to make it worth it.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

jynclr wrote:

I'm considering the Fictionwise membership, but I just don't know if I read enough to make it worth it.

It doesn't take long for it to pay off, you get $10 off your first purchase!  :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
KeithK
0 Kudos

Why should I pay to become a member to get a small discount.

"Why would I join a club that would have me as a member" - Grocho Marx

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

KeithK wrote:

Why should I pay to become a member to get a small discount.

I guess that would depend on how much you shopped at the retailer in question... 

Correspondent
Large_Marge
0 Kudos

KeithK wrote:

LOL, too true.

I never understood the B&N membership.  $25 just didn't seem to be worth it.  My Borders membership is free and even though the stores are somewhat different I can get anything I want in bound book on Borders.com.

Now if B&N ever applies the membership to ebooks I would seriously reconsider.

Contributor
gailoo
0 Kudos

Not only is the membership discount not allowed Barnes and Noble raised all the prices of 16 books on my e wish list within ONE WEEK.  Some ebooks that were $ 9.99 are not $ 19.99.  As far as I am concerned the NOOK WAS A SCAM!

Contributor
MechaNab
0 Kudos

I was about to purchase a membership, but was then told it didn't apply to ebooks. Too bad.

As for the price increases, this is the publishers. They know their business models are seriously threatened by ereaders. When such devices become universal, anyone will be able to publish their book and cut the publishers out of the loop. They want to slow ereader growth and squeeze as much out of their shrinking pricing power as they can.

Frequent Contributor
hymie
0 Kudos

Using a B&N credit card available to members which gives an extra 5% off the entire sale, the break-even point for membership is $172.42. If you spend more than that per year then the membership is worthwhile. I live around the corner from a B&N, and I'm a regular customer for their books, games, and coffe shop so I beat that total easily - I probably average around $60 per month.

Of, course, that makes me extra annoyed that the member discount doesn't apply to eBooks (although the 5% credit card discount does, or did) and is one reason why I'm still holding off on a Nook purchase.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Inspired Contributor
Naosnote

I'm not getting a B&N credit card just to get a discount...that's trouble (for me at least :smileyvery-happy:). However, I do think they should consider giving other member "nook" benefits - if they can't offer it on the price of a book...maybe offer a free e-book for a limited time (and an actual good book) ...

In addition, I think it would be nice if while in the store - we get the "store" prices on the clearance items that are available. I was once in a store that offered a book at $5.00 and it would be nice if I could have purchased that on my nook at that price - instead of the $9.99 that it was at....

Contributor
klauver
0 Kudos

We can also blame Apple!  In thier hurry to setup their eBook library they cut really poor deals with some of the publishers.  Once they got Apple to cave they started raising the prices for everyone.

The most rediculous part of this is that all books start off as digital files to begin with and all they have to do is perform a "Save As" ePUB, or any other format they wish.  Technically, eBooks should be available way before they can be delivered as dead trees!

Contributor
klauver
0 Kudos

Since I purchased my nook, I have seen several occasions where the eBook price is higher that the list price of the book at the store! :smileymad:

Contributor
Christina30

I do agree about the lifetime membership.... if we're not able to get a member discount on ebooks at least give us the membership free for whatever else we might purchase.