Reply
Frequent Contributor
Dyrinn45
Posts: 240
Registered: ‎03-29-2010
0 Kudos

More good reads like "A Song of Ice and Fire"?

I read the 4 books, two times while waiting for his next book to release(umm hurry the f up) and then i tried switching back to some forgotten realms and christopher moore, and i just cant seem to get the same depth of reading. Ice and Fire was rich in character developement and political intrigue, and i would like some more "adult" stuff like that. Its cool that no one dies in the forgotten realms really, but I liked watching main characters get slaughtered whole sale...any good fantasy series like that out there?

flyingtoastr
Posts: 3,021
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,951
Registered: ‎11-11-2009
0 Kudos

Re: More good reads like "A Song of Ice and Fire"?

[ Edited ]

Short answer, no.

 

No one writes epic fantasy like GRRM.

Inspired Contributor
sam_ann
Posts: 60
Registered: ‎09-24-2010
0 Kudos

Re: More good reads like "A Song of Ice and Fire"?

[ Edited ]

Not epic fantasy, but...

 

The series with the highest body count around is the First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie, including The Blade Itself, Before They Are Hanged and Last Argument of Kings. Fantastic characters and dark, bloody storyIine. I love this series, but they aren't in ebook format yet. He has a standalone, Best Served Cold, which IS in ebook and I can't wait to read it.

 

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch is different than your usual fantasy fare. The hero is a genius of a conman that heads a gang of thieves. It's gritty and fun. The sequel is Red Seas Under Red Skies, and the third book, Republic of Thieves, will be out next year.

 

And though I've yet to start it, numerous other Song of Ice and Fire fans have recommended Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series to me. I'm told its similar in complexity and quality to SoIaF. The first installment is Gardens of the Moon.

 

I really wanted to include cover art/links, but couldn't figure out how. Curse my computer illiteracy!

~Sam

Correspondent
growlingraven
Posts: 120
Registered: ‎04-21-2010
0 Kudos

Re: More good reads like "A Song of Ice and Fire"?

 


flyingtoastr wrote:

Short answer, no.

 

No one writes epic fantasy like GRRM.


True enough, but Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy fits the bill. A dark tale filled with great characters, murder, mayhem and a few laughs. Highly recommended.

 

Frequent Contributor
Dyrinn45
Posts: 240
Registered: ‎03-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: More good reads like "A Song of Ice and Fire"?

awesome guys thanks!

Nallia
Posts: 4,758
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
Registered: ‎02-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: More good reads like "A Song of Ice and Fire"?

The Way of Kings, by Brandon Sanderson, is very intricate, but very long (1,008 pages in the hardcover).  It's the first book in what is supposed to be a 10 book series and is very, very good.

Inspired Correspondent
TrevorS
Posts: 156
Registered: ‎08-20-2010
0 Kudos

Re: More good reads like "A Song of Ice and Fire"?

[ Edited ]

Dyrinn45 wrote:

I read the 4 books, two times while waiting for his next book to release(umm hurry the f up) and then i tried switching back to some forgotten realms and christopher moore, and i just cant seem to get the same depth of reading. Ice and Fire was rich in character developement and political intrigue, and i would like some more "adult" stuff like that. Its cool that no one dies in the forgotten realms really, but I liked watching main characters get slaughtered whole sale...any good fantasy series like that out there?


 

Tales from the Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson.

 

The first book is titled Gardens of the Moon. If you're looking for senseless slaughter, book 2, Deadhouse Gates should sate your bloodlust nicely.

 

Frankly, the world-building is better than Martin's, the writing style is slightly more cumbersome and apt to wander, metaphysically, but the character development is quite good. Action scenes are amazing, and actually included in the story (A peeve of mine... by book 3, Martin had developed a nasty habit of having exciting and important events happen "offscreen" and get related into the story third-hand).

 

And lots of people die or are otherwise corrupted and defiled. The only difference is that it seems a little more rational and evenhanded in Erikson's world. The evil and corrupt are just as likely to die horribly or senselessly as the good guys.

 

Superior to ASOIAF, in my opinion.

 

Edit:

Also, Erikson has a nice track record; 9 books, a year to 18 months between each book. Last book is almost published. No worries about waiting for ten years for the author to decide he doesn't know what to do and has to rewrite the last book from scratch.

Inspired Contributor
sam_ann
Posts: 60
Registered: ‎09-24-2010
0 Kudos

Re: More good reads like "A Song of Ice and Fire"?

 


TrevorS wrote:

 

Tales from the Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson.

 

The first book is titled Gardens of the Moon. If you're looking for senseless slaughter, book 2, Deadhouse Gates should sate your bloodlust nicely.

 

Frankly, the world-building is better than Martin's, the writing style is slightly more cumbersome and apt to wander, metaphysically, but the character development is quite good. Action scenes are amazing, and actually included in the story (A peeve of mine... by book 3, Martin had developed a nasty habit of having exciting and important events happen "offscreen" and get related into the story third-hand).

 

And lots of people die or are otherwise corrupted and defiled. The only difference is that it seems a little more rational and evenhanded in Erikson's world. The evil and corrupt are just as likely to die horribly or senselessly as the good guys.

 

Superior to ASOIAF, in my opinion.

 

Edit:

Also, Erikson has a nice track record; 9 books, a year to 18 months between each book. Last book is almost published. No worries about waiting for ten years for the author to decide he doesn't know what to do and has to rewrite the last book from scratch.


Part of what's kept me from wanting to read this was seeing the names of characters. I thought they were pretty silly and annoying. I guess I'm going to have to get over this at some point.

 

~Sam

Nallia
Posts: 4,758
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
Registered: ‎02-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: More good reads like "A Song of Ice and Fire"?

 


TrevorS wrote:

Dyrinn45 wrote:

I read the 4 books, two times while waiting for his next book to release(umm hurry the f up) and then i tried switching back to some forgotten realms and christopher moore, and i just cant seem to get the same depth of reading. Ice and Fire was rich in character developement and political intrigue, and i would like some more "adult" stuff like that. Its cool that no one dies in the forgotten realms really, but I liked watching main characters get slaughtered whole sale...any good fantasy series like that out there?


 

Tales from the Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson.

 

The first book is titled Gardens of the Moon. If you're looking for senseless slaughter, book 2, Deadhouse Gates should sate your bloodlust nicely.

 

Frankly, the world-building is better than Martin's, the writing style is slightly more cumbersome and apt to wander, metaphysically, but the character development is quite good. Action scenes are amazing, and actually included in the story (A peeve of mine... by book 3, Martin had developed a nasty habit of having exciting and important events happen "offscreen" and get related into the story third-hand).

 

And lots of people die or are otherwise corrupted and defiled. The only difference is that it seems a little more rational and evenhanded in Erikson's world. The evil and corrupt are just as likely to die horribly or senselessly as the good guys.

 

Superior to ASOIAF, in my opinion.

 

Edit:

Also, Erikson has a nice track record; 9 books, a year to 18 months between each book. Last book is almost published. No worries about waiting for ten years for the author to decide he doesn't know what to do and has to rewrite the last book from scratch.


I concur.  This is one of my favorite series!

 

Inspired Correspondent
TrevorS
Posts: 156
Registered: ‎08-20-2010
0 Kudos

Re: More good reads like "A Song of Ice and Fire"?


sam_ann wrote:

 

Part of what's kept me from wanting to read this was seeing the names of characters. I thought they were pretty silly and annoying. I guess I'm going to have to get over this at some point.

 


Understandable. I loathed a couple of the names at first. By the end of the second book, I didn't notice it anymore, and frankly some of the character names in the later books are pretty good.

 

It's just going to take you a bit to get acclimated.

 

Distinguished Correspondent
Coanda-1910
Posts: 128
Registered: ‎03-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: More good reads like "A Song of Ice and Fire"?

I was never that partial to ASOIAF, so I might not be the best to recommend books like it. However, you might check out Monarchies of God series by Paul Kearney (which I was also not that big a fan of... but for basically the same reasons, so if you liked one you might like the other).

Distinguished Correspondent
kc5455
Posts: 138
Registered: ‎01-26-2010
0 Kudos

Re: More good reads like "A Song of Ice and Fire"?

I highly recommend

The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time Series #1) 

 

If you don't like the Prologue, start with the first chapter and read the prologue later.

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
__Dr. Seuss
Inspired Contributor
sam_ann
Posts: 60
Registered: ‎09-24-2010
0 Kudos

Re: More good reads like "A Song of Ice and Fire"?

 


kc5455 wrote:

I highly recommend

The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time Series #1) 

 

If you don't like the Prologue, start with the first chapter and read the prologue later.


I love the Eye of the World prologue. It hooked me from word one. :smileyhappy: I would provide a disclaimer to the OP though; The Wheel of Time is a wonderful story, but for very different reasons than A Song of Ice and Fire.

 

~Sam