Contributor
Special-Circumstances

Mormon Literature - The Bible, The Doctrine and Covenants

I am sure that I am not the only member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints that is DISAPPOINTED that their is NOT a Doctrine and Covenants ebook. I also have not found a King James Bible that I am impressed with (or that I trust to be the exact "mormon-version" translation). 

I am happy to have a good Book of Mormon ebook and a Pearl of Great Price. I would be absolutly thrilled if these collections were added. I am sure Deseret Book (whoever) would be happy to add this as well. 

I also LOVE the new Nook update and can't wait to see what's in store for the Nook in the future (it has only been the 4th month)! I hope that with the release of the iPad, the more competition will result in more ebooks. 

Special Circumstances

Correspondent
illmunkeys
0 Kudos

Re: Mormon Literature - The Bible, The Doctrine and Covenants

A quick search on Google Books turns up quite a few eBooks for Doctrine and Covenants that are fully downloadable.  I'm not sure how they read.  Google is hit and miss (usually miss) on quality.

Basically, this is something you'll need to bring up with whoever publishes Mormon material.  They need to start publishing eBook versions.  The only place I saw selling the Doctrine and Covenants online was MobiBooks.

Frequent Contributor
TogTogTogTog
0 Kudos

I could be wrong but isn't The Bible, The Doctrine and Covenants etc. all 'public domain' and thus free? So therefore you could just google search for any of them and sideload it to your Nook. Took me 30s to find: http://www.archive.org/details/doctrineandcove01saingoog

Not sure if its what you're looking for, but it might be a start.

Contributor
Special-Circumstances
0 Kudos

Thats the think, all the Google books aren't the right ones. They have like 12 pages in them! Oh, well, I will just have to wait or contact the publisher. 

Frequent Contributor
TogTogTogTog
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I just looked at the Google one, in fact the exact one I linked and it has ~333 pages. But if you're still looking then you have two options, google for it and download a free version, or purchase it from a different eBook company and sideload it onto your Nook. Maybe try: http://www.eldersconference.org/ebooks/ if you're looking for different versions.

Note: If the book isn't in the right format, I find Calibre an excellent piece of software for converting and putting books onto your Nook.

Contributor
RowdysMom
0 Kudos

I, too, wanted a good version of the KJV of the Bible but I have read that it's just hard to look up verses, etc. The formats look up by chapter which would be "books" of the Bible but it can't find chapters, verses, etc. It's a lot easier to just open up a Bible and find what I want rather that going to the book and skipping to what verse the pastor is discussing! Until they can perfect it on an ereader I think I am sticking with my very used KJV of my Bible that I recieved at my Confirmation many moons ago!! Good luck!
Frequent Contributor
dreamcatcherSM
0 Kudos

The Triple Combination Bible, Book of Mormon and Pearl of Great Price (the Triple Combination) is available on the kindle.  I believe it will eventually be available on the nook.

Contributor
kabloink
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Until Barnes and Nobles gets a epub, you can download the books directly from the church's website in pdf format. They offer the triple Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and Pearl of Great price on this page.

LDS PDF Publications

This is the direct link to the pdf triple book.

Direct Link To PDF

Contributor
hitekrider
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Tough to scripture search using a .pdf

Reader
terib
0 Kudos

I agree --- There are a lot of RLDS books to choose from -- but next to no books for those belonging to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  I would very much like to see these made available -- as would many other members of the church I've spoken with. 

Reader
terib
0 Kudos

How do you go about downloading an ebook from another source and sideloading it onto your nook?  I've never heard of that option -- I'd love it if someone would provide the instructions.  The LDS church site has all of their scriptures available in ebook form -- but for some reason they're not compatible with the Nook -- so sideloading would be a wonderful option!!!!

Reader
terib
0 Kudos

Okay -- I see how to download it into .pdf (thanks for the link:smileyhappy:)  But once downloaded into .pdf format, how do you make it compatible with the Nook?

Frequent Contributor
Greeny
0 Kudos

I am not sure what entity is the owner of the Moron items, the church in general, Deseret Industries, etc, but either way if a version is needed you should pass that information on through your bishop and let the technology end of the church get a Nook version together. They have so much technology at hand they should be able to whip it out fast, provided it is already not out there. Contacting Deseret directly might work as well, I forget if the Deseret book store are directly owned by the church, but that is my understanding (here in SLC).

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

terib wrote:

Okay -- I see how to download it into .pdf (thanks for the link:smileyhappy:)  But once downloaded into .pdf format, how do you make it compatible with the Nook?

terib:

the nook can read .pdf files, but it's probably the "worst" format in terms of what the nook is technically capable of reading.  If you download calibre, you can use it to convert it to .epub, including setting it up so that it is specifically formatted for the nook.  

Edited to add: this is, of course, assuming that there isn't any DRM on the pdf file.  Calibre can't break DRM.  If there is, the nook can still read the pdf.  it just may be formatted a little "ugly".