Reply
Inspired Correspondent
jaquellae
Posts: 227
Registered: ‎08-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Cost of ebooks


JustTrish wrote:

Don't count on it.  Did you see they have "The Eagle Has Landed" for $9.99 with a "suggested" e-book price of $14.99?!

 

Book was published 36 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

They're trying to hose us b/c the technology is new.


Well, that's how it has been in the past, but that was before the agency model. And the tech isn't all that new either; the Kindle and Sony Readers have been around since about 2007, but they've been selling ebooks for PDA's since about 2000.  I do think they're trying to take advantage of the rising popularity in the last few years and the agency model to try and squeze as much as possible out of ebooks. I do find some ebooks overpriced. There is no way, for example, that I'd pay $18.99 for an ebook copy of Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged".

Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,818
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Cost of ebooks

 


JustTrish wrote:

jaquellae wrote:

 

Actually, this is *exactly* how I saw it. You want it right away, pay the hardcover price; otherwise wait for the price drop when the paperback comes out. Just because you don't get the hardcopy, it doesn't mean the publishers don't need to pay the author, editor, and tech support for the ebook version. Not that I don't mind a lower price for anything, of course. :smileywink:

 


Don't count on it.  Did you see they have "The Eagle Has Landed" for $9.99 with a "suggested" e-book price of $14.99?!

 

Book was published 36 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

They're trying to hose us b/c the technology is new.


 

I don't see why this is any different that a HC that has a suggested retail price of $28.00 and BN is selling in for $14.99? 

 

The publication date is irrelevant in book pricing.  I've yet to see the cost of a book be lower in a bookstore because it was older, if the book was originally published 20 years in paperback at say $7.99 a new copy today is still going to cost $7.99.  In fact it's more likely that 20 years ago that paperback was about $5.99 but a new reprint of the book today is more like $8-9.  The only exception is when the books wind up on the remainder table, which is never going to happen with eBooks.

 

There are a log of older paperbacks I would like to replace with eBooks, but at $7.99 a pop I'm not going to do it. 

Distinguished Correspondent
msmoonlite
Posts: 177
Registered: ‎10-03-2010

Re: NEW E BOOK PRICES

Every time I come to the board there is at least one thread about the expense of ebooks on B&N.com. With the plethora of other ways to get books, if people don't like the prices here I don't get the problem.

 

If you don't want to spend the money don't.

 

If you hate the prices of the books DON'T. BUY. THEM. The world is not ending. I don't understand the constant griping.

 

I'm not one of the "us" referred to by the op. I love my Nook. I'm actually counting the minutes until I get on the train for my interminable subway ride home, which is only made bearable by my Nook.

 

My Nook is full of books that I've paid cheap prices for, and of books that were a bit pricey. Oh well. I love to read. My budget is not unlimited but I'm certainly not going to cheap myself out of a book because it costs a few bucks more than it did a few days ago. If I want it I'm getting it, and I'm not going to bash BN for pricing, or get on a message board and moan about prices.

 

If other e readers will serve your purpose of getting cheap books then I say go ahead, but don't say that you represent any large group of Nook owners when you complain.

Correspondent
julianka
Posts: 244
Registered: ‎09-30-2010
0 Kudos

Re: NEW E BOOK PRICES

So many people complain about "another thread about the price of ebooks", yet all these threads end up being  pages and pages long with people complaining about them.   If you don't like threads about ebook prices, don't open them and reply in them!  :smileyhappy:

 

TO THE ORIGINAL POSTER:  You can't blame BN for the prices because with most books the ebook prices are set by the publishers.  NOT included in this is of course all the self-published books, and the few publishers that are not imprints ("brand names") under the major six publishers of Random House, Penguin, McMillan, Hachette, Harper Collins and Simon and Schuster.  But most popular books are, unfortunately, published by one of those six.

 

I understand your frustration over the prices of ebooks, but it would be the same thing whether you had a Kindle or a Sony ereader or any other ereader.  If you want to give up ebooks altogether because of the prices, I understand that (though I wouldn't do it myself), but I can't say whether or not BN would allow you to return you Nook just because you don't like the prices.  If you bought it less than 14 days ago you can return it no matter what, but longer than that I sort of doubt it.  But you could sell it on ebay. 

 

 

 

 

Nallia
Posts: 4,758
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
Registered: ‎02-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: NEW E BOOK PRICES

 


julianka wrote:

So many people complain about "another thread about the price of ebooks", yet all these threads end up being  pages and pages long with people complaining about them.   If you don't like threads about ebook prices, don't open them and reply in them!  :smileyhappy:

 

TO THE ORIGINAL POSTER:  You can't blame BN for the prices because with most books the ebook prices are set by the publishers.  NOT included in this is of course all the self-published books, and the few publishers that are not imprints ("brand names") under the major six publishers of Random House, Penguin, McMillan, Hachette, Harper Collins and Simon and Schuster.  But most popular books are, unfortunately, published by one of those six.

 

I understand your frustration over the prices of ebooks, but it would be the same thing whether you had a Kindle or a Sony ereader or any other ereader.  If you want to give up ebooks altogether because of the prices, I understand that (though I wouldn't do it myself), but I can't say whether or not BN would allow you to return you Nook just because you don't like the prices.  If you bought it less than 14 days ago you can return it no matter what, but longer than that I sort of doubt it.  But you could sell it on ebay. 

 

 

 

 


PubIt books are also on the Agency Model . The authors set the prices, not B&N.

 

Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,818
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: NEW E BOOK PRICES

 


julianka wrote:

 

TO THE ORIGINAL POSTER:  You can't blame BN for the prices because with most books the ebook prices are set by the publishers.  NOT included in this is of course all the self-published books, and the few publishers that are not imprints ("brand names") under the major six publishers of Random House, Penguin, McMillan, Hachette, Harper Collins and Simon and Schuster.  But most popular books are, unfortunately, published by one of those six.

 

 

 


What's funny about this is that the original post was made in February of 2010, more than a year ago.  And before agency pricing went into effect.  Yes, agency pricing is controlling most of prices these days, and all the statements, arguments, etc since then are probably valid, but, at the time the OP posted this, there was no agency pricing.

 

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
Posts: 661
Registered: ‎12-05-2009

Re: Cost of ebooks

 


JustTrish wrote:

Don't count on it.  Did you see they have "The Eagle Has Landed" for $9.99 with a "suggested" e-book price of $14.99?!

 

Book was published 36 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

They're trying to hose us b/c the technology is new.


 

That's nothing new where technology is concerned.  Remember vinyl records, 8 tracks, cassette tapes, cd's, VHS, Betamax, DVD, HDDVD, BlueRay.  Never got any one of the newer technologies free or discounted because it was an old recording, an old movie or I already owned a copy..  Don't expect it to be any different with books.

 

Just vote with your wallet.  Don't like the price, don't buy it,

Inspired Correspondent
bobwa
Posts: 85
Registered: ‎12-28-2009

Re: NEW E BOOK PRICES

Santa Fe Dead by Stuart Woods

 

ebook price $9.99

Costco        $5.79

 

I imagine that even agency publishers cannot believe the premium ebook customers are willing to pay. They keep raising prices trying to find the ceiling.  So far, they seem not to have found it. 

Frequent Contributor
hymie
Posts: 41
Registered: ‎10-21-2009
0 Kudos

Re: NEW E BOOK PRICES

They're charging $11.99 for E. L. Doctorow's Ragtime, which was written in 1975. Paperbacks of this book are virtually free, ~50¢ + shipping on Amazon, and likely available in every used bookstore and library in the country. Kindle price is the same. They're out to soak the e-reader market for everything they can. With luck, it will take much less time to destroy the publishing industry than it took to destroy the music industry.

 

Meanwhile, I propose an illegal but moral solution - locate a bootleg e-book copy of a book you want to read, then find the cheapest paper copy of that book that you can and buy it. Either dispose of the paper copy, or keep the e-book only as long as you keep the copy. This is analogous to taping your LPs or ripping your CDs, transforming a legally owned copy into a more convenient form.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,818
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: NEW E BOOK PRICES

 


hymie wrote:

They're charging $11.99 for E. L. Doctorow's Ragtime, which was written in 1975. Paperbacks of this book are virtually free, ~50¢ + shipping on Amazon, and likely available in every used bookstore and library in the country. Kindle price is the same. They're out to soak the e-reader market for everything they can. With luck, it will take much less time to destroy the publishing industry than it took to destroy the music industry.

 

Meanwhile, I propose an illegal but moral solution - locate a bootleg e-book copy of a book you want to read, then find the cheapest paper copy of that book that you can and buy it. Either dispose of the paper copy, or keep the e-book only as long as you keep the copy. This is analogous to taping your LPs or ripping your CDs, transforming a legally owned copy into a more convenient form.


 

You really cannot compare used book prices to eBook prices because there, at least at this point, will never be a used eBook market and the publishers aren't selling the used books.  That's like comparing the price of a new DVD or CD in Best Buy to picking up a used copy on eBay.  There just not comparable.

 

A new HC of that book is $13.68.  

 

Publication date of a book has never factored into the price of buying a new copy of a book.  If a paperback was $5.99 20 years ago, a new copy is probably $7.99 today.  I've never seen a new copy of book be less simply because it was an older book.  The exception might be books on the remainder table, but those generally aren't that old and that's due to overstock, again, another condition that will never occur with eBooks.

Contributor
stricknook
Posts: 22
Registered: ‎11-28-2010
0 Kudos

Re: NEW E BOOK PRICES

dont be an ass, root it, lock b&N out of it, thank em for the tablet by bying books from an independant. its not like they used to be the "nice megastore" sides theve been rippin us off for years-breathe- i blow off steam just posting what crap they pull, and then i remember, hell i havent paid for a book since the wifi first came out-atleast not to b&n

Contributor
stricknook
Posts: 22
Registered: ‎11-28-2010
0 Kudos

Re: NEW E BOOK PRICES

ahh the failed kindle experiment of the early 21st cent.

look the single and only feature(beyond the leagal pad sized one-and still more keyboard than reader) is the instant email delivery feature amazon nailed down early,- then they got lazy and nook handed them there walkin papers and took their lunch money-and market share.

and for the confused to the rooted there is a kindle emulator for the nook color-----read kindle/amazon ebooks on a ROOTED w/rom o your choice,now b&n wont tell you this, their heasd are too far up in their assests. nooks only probuble doom is allowing anybody that understands basic computer programing theroy to make them look like fools with their own product. the ebook price inflation being one example of a larger disconnect problem that will take down b&n like thinking they had ebooks nailed down is killing boarders/amazon.

baenfreelibrary/scifi

or---ummmmm---habla google?

Frequent Contributor
hymie
Posts: 41
Registered: ‎10-21-2009
0 Kudos

Re: NEW E BOOK PRICES

 


bklvr896 wrote:

You really cannot compare used book prices to eBook prices because there, at least at this point, will never be a used eBook market and the publishers aren't selling the used books.  That's like comparing the price of a new DVD or CD in Best Buy to picking up a used copy on eBay.  There just not comparable.

 

A new HC of that book is $13.68.  

 

Publication date of a book has never factored into the price of buying a new copy of a book.  If a paperback was $5.99 20 years ago, a new copy is probably $7.99 today.  I've never seen a new copy of book be less simply because it was an older book.  The exception might be books on the remainder table, but those generally aren't that old and that's due to overstock, again, another condition that will never occur with eBooks.

 


 

 

Yes, in fact I can compare e-book prices to used book prices. I can do this because the business models of the publishers and bookstores are not my problem! They can set whatever prices they like, but only I decide what I'm willing to pay. In the case of an old book, there are many ways for me to legally read it for very little money - I can go to a book shop or a web site and buy a cheap pre-owned copy, and I can go to the library and read it for free. And if I should choose to buy a used copy, I would feel completely justified in finding a bootleg electronic copy and reading that, just as I feel completely justified in ripping my CD collection to my various computers and electronic devices. Companies may wish to build business models on the notion that people should buy new copies of the same content every time they wish to peruse that content in a different way, but as I said, that's not my problem. I think that if they want to capture ongoing revenue from an older product, they should price it with respect to the competition they face from the used and library market, but if they don't want to, fine. Not my problem, but they won't get any money from me.

 

New User
MindyJ
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎09-05-2011
0 Kudos

Re: NEW E BOOK PRICES

I just did a massive price comparison between Nook and Amazon Kindle books. I feel like an idiot. Out of 42 books,  only TWO were the same.  ALL the others were $2.00 to $4.00 LESS than Nook. No joke. I loved my Nook but felt it was just a bit much to be paying. My budget is not unlimited.  So, before you feel so blessed and wise to own a Nook, check out the price differences. Something is very wrong.

 

Frequent Contributor
geertm
Posts: 1,193
Registered: ‎02-09-2010

Re: NEW E BOOK PRICES


MindyJ wrote:

I just did a massive price comparison between Nook and Amazon Kindle books. I feel like an idiot. Out of 42 books,  only TWO were the same.  ALL the others were $2.00 to $4.00 LESS than Nook. No joke. I loved my Nook but felt it was just a bit much to be paying. My budget is not unlimited.  So, before you feel so blessed and wise to own a Nook, check out the price differences. Something is very wrong.

 


All books sold by the 6 agency publishers should have the same price at every store.

All books that have a mention "price set by publisher" at Amazon must have that same price at B&N.

If a book at Amazon does not have the mention "price set by publisher" than the store sets the price. As Amazon is in a much better financial position than B&N, and can afford to use e-books as a loss-leader, in that case sometimes books will be cheaper at Amazon (although even then B&N will often price match Amazon).

I wonder what kind a books you were looking at that so many were cheaper at Amazon?

Doug_Pardee
Posts: 5,522
Kudos: 4,015
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: NEW E BOOK PRICES


MindyJ wrote:

 

Out of 42 books,  only TWO were the same.  ALL the others were $2.00 to $4.00 LESS than Nook.


What books were you looking at? For novels from the 'Big 6' US trade publishers, there shouldn't be any difference (plus or minus a bit of delay in repricing). These are the main fare that the typical e-reader buyer will be considering.

 

I'm sure that there are e-book categories that are, on the whole, less expensive at some place or other. It'd be helpful to indicate which e-book category or categories you're looking at.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
Posts: 1,619
Registered: ‎10-21-2009
0 Kudos

Re: NEW E BOOK PRICES


MindyJ wrote:

I just did a massive price comparison between Nook and Amazon Kindle books. I feel like an idiot. Out of 42 books,  only TWO were the same.  ALL the others were $2.00 to $4.00 LESS than Nook. No joke. I loved my Nook but felt it was just a bit much to be paying. My budget is not unlimited.  So, before you feel so blessed and wise to own a Nook, check out the price differences. Something is very wrong.

 


From a statistical perspective, I would hardly call 42 titles a "massive price comparison." Also, you don't mention the type/publisher of the books.

 

I'd say something was wrong, if you checked several hundred titles from agency model publishers and their was a major pattern of price discrepancies.

 

Otherwise, what you are seeing is Amazon using its deep pockets to try and force a monopoly on the market. Sure it helps consumers in the short run with some lower prices, but once they've driven away the competition their prices normalize, likely to a level higher than what you would have paid if they had competed fairly.

 

Just my 2 cents.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,826
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: NEW E BOOK PRICES

"Something" might be wrong, but not in the way you mean.  So you checked a bunch of books that I presume you want to buy, and they were cheaper at Amazon.  These wouldn't be agency books since Amazon is not allowed to sell those for a discount, and Amazon can set any price they want on non-agency books, just as B&N can.  So there's nothing "wrong" with B&N's prices being different from Amazon's.

 

It's a great idea to do they check you did before choosing to buy a device, because it can help you choose which device will be best for you.  If you didn't do that before you bought your nook, then you probably should have.  Keep in mind that you can always go out and buy a kindle if you desire one, or use the kindle apps to read on computers, tablets and cell phones.