Frequent Contributor
DenisePW

Newest Price Point $14.99 & up

Anyone noticing lately that the price point for more and more new releases seems to be $14.99 & up?  I guess as the Agency 5 convince themselves that the public is accepting their $12.99 price fix, they can now push the price up? 

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980
0 Kudos

Re: Newest Price Point $14.99 & up

When I check the NYT bestseller list I see 3 out of the first 45 books that are $14.99 or higher.

Just saying.

Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard
0 Kudos

Not this discussion again. No, that's not "the newest price point", and if it were, who cares? If you don't like the price, don't buy. As stated so many times, this is the ONLY thing that will force the prices down.

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/wekempf
Correspondent
EffieTX

Sure, why not this discussion again?  Its important to a lot of people.  No one has been appointed GOD over these forums and thereby gets to pick the subject of all the threads. Geez, I am so tired of the MEANNESS on these boards.

And yes, while many of the books on the NYT bestseller list may be below $14.99, I have noticed how much more expensive the new releases are also.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015

EffieTX wrote:

while many of the books on the NYT bestseller list may be below $14.99, I have noticed how much more expensive the new releases are also.

Some of the publishers seem to be applying a "just released" surcharge of about $2 to the price of some new-release e-books. The surcharge tends to expire at about the time that the book has been out long enough to make it onto the NYT bestseller list (a week or two).

Distinguished Wordsmith
FantasyRider

I believe that the prices are probably related to the increasing demand and popularity of eBooks as a whole.  In my opinion, as the availability of more eBook titles and the market share of eBook vs. DTB increases, we will see the prices moving back down as publishers and authors are forced to compete with each other. 

We will always see the prime authors sporting the big prices...but like anything popular (think Apple)...you pay for the privilege to posses it.  Some people wait for cheaper alternatives. 

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother." Albert Einstein
Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69

Doug_Pardee wrote:

EffieTX wrote:

while many of the books on the NYT bestseller list may be below $14.99, I have noticed how much more expensive the new releases are also.

Some of the publishers seem to be applying a "just released" surcharge of about $2 to the price of some new-release e-books. The surcharge tends to expire at about the time that the book has been out long enough to make it onto the NYT bestseller list (a week or two).

So, in essence, whenever someone says, "Hey!  It sure seems like they are jacking up the prices on new books lately!" and the usual suspects come in with, "WRONG!  I checked the bestseller list and that isn't the case!  WRONG!  WRONG!  Stupid person!  Back to your hole!" then their little search wasn't a very accurate take on what the new release prices might be.  

And yes, that was an exaggerated example, but I'm sure that is how it sometimes feels to the person that is being berated.  

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
Wordsmith
steffiebaby140

Ozman69 wrote:

And yes, that was an exaggerated example, but I'm sure that is how it sometimes feels to the person that is being berated.  

I haven't seen anyone being "berated" on this thread or most of the others.  It is true that this seems to come up at least once every 2 or 3 days, and ultimately the conversation just goes around in circles and never gets anywhere.  I'm not happy with the constant changing of the Agency pricing either, but it's not going to get me anywhere to talk about it on the B&N boards when they have nothing to do with it.  It further won't get me anywhere to simply not buy it because the publishers can interpret people not buying as a lack of interest in ebooks and stop offering them.  What is more helpful is to not buy anything you think is overpriced, and inform the publisher that is why you're not buying from them. 

In a perfect world the chicken would be able to cross the road without his intentions being questioned.
Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

NYT bestsellers vs. brand-new releases

Yes, the New York Times bestseller lists don't list books that haven't actually been out and selling. Consequently, they don't list titles that are so brand-new that the pages are still warm from the presses. (NYT only covers print books.)

Um, speaking as one of "the usual suspects", I don't think I've ever suggested that someone was "stupid" for saying that e-book prices are going up. I've said that there's apparently this "early buyer surcharge" from some publishers, and that it goes away pretty quickly. If anyone feels or felt berated by that, I apologize.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69

Re: NYT bestsellers vs. brand-new releases

Doug_Pardee wrote:

Um, speaking as one of "the usual suspects", I don't think I've ever suggested that someone was "stupid" for saying that e-book prices are going up. I've said that there's apparently this "early buyer surcharge" from some publishers, and that it goes away pretty quickly. If anyone feels or felt berated by that, I apologize.

I was speaking of noone in particular (and especially not yourself).  I was more discussing the fact that some people on these forums find it their place (for who knows what reason) to decide what should be discussed and at what times.   

Yes, these topics get discussed and brought up over and over again.  Probably because a lot of people have opinions on them.  It is a discussion forum after all.  If the actual B&N moderators wish to combine or close certain threads that they feel either go together or don't need to remain open, then so be it.  That is what they are supposed to do.

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
Correspondent
EffieTX

What really drives me crazy on this forum is the damm if you do, damm if you don't mentality sometimes. 

People complain about a new thread being started about a subject that has been discussed before.. but if you dare post on a thread thats old, there are complaints about how thats an OLD thread and therefore not relevent. 

The price of ebooks is a continuing concern of mine, as it is to many other people. Therefore, I appreciate the continuing dialogue about the issue.

Inspired Correspondent
Goodword
0 Kudos

With the new pricing model on ebooks, they are usually about 50% of the hardback price, right?  So if the new books are priced at $14.99, that would indicate an increase in the price of hardbacks. 

I mostly pay $9.99 or less for ebooks, but occasionally I'll spring for a 12.99 if it's one I must have.  It would be a rare book that I'd pay $14.99 or the $19.99 for (and I've seen several priced at this point recently), but I suppose there are those who will. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree

steffiebaby140 wrote:
  It is true that this seems to come up at least once every 2 or 3 days, and ultimately the conversation just goes around in circles and never gets anywhere.

The discussion never seems to get anywhere, but it does serve to keep the industry on notice that customers are still unhappy with the pricing structure, that the Agency 5 haven't succeeded in putting one over on them and, that after six months, the market still hasn't resigned itself to the Agency Model.  It also gives B&N, Amazon and the other resellers ammunition in their discussions with the publishers ("See!?!?  Our customers are still angry at you!")

Those seem like good things to me, and worth a few electrons.  For those who think not, there's always the "Mark as Read" option in the Thread Options to make it all go away.  :smileywink:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Goodword wrote:

With the new pricing model on ebooks, they are usually about 50% of the hardback price, right?  So if the new books are priced at $14.99, that would indicate an increase in the price of hardbacks. 

No, what it probably indicates is the addition of the "early buyer's premium" of about $2 to the typical $12.99 price of the e-book. This premium is typically kept around for a week or two, then the e-book drops to its normal (*cough*) price.

For example, Bill O'Reilly's Pinheads and Patriots released on September 14th at $14.99. It's now $12.99:

Pinheads and Patriots

(I chose this one only because I have a record of it being priced at $14.99, and its release date, from a prior posting.)

Which doesn't mean that hardcover prices might not be going up. The list price of the hardcover of this title is $27.99, while $25.99 has been more typical in recent times. Added: a quick look at some of the NYT bestsellers here on B&N suggests that $27.99 might indeed be becoming a common price point for hardcovers.

Anyway, my point is that if an e-book initially comes out at $14.99, just wait a couple of weeks and you will probably see it at $12.99.

flyingtoastr

[ Edited ]

ABthree wrote:

It also gives B&N, Amazon and the other resellers ammunition in their discussions with the publishers ("See!?!?  Our customers are still angry at you!")

Minor note, but BN probably gave unspoken approval to the agency model. They were losing too much money having to match Amazon's loss-leading with the wholesale model.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0

Vote with your wallet.

That's all I have to say.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Has anyone checked the prices of the HC bestsellers, because it seems to me that they are going up also.  Where I recall most of the new releases being $24.95-25.94 price range, I notice a lot of them are now up at $27.99, so that may be driving it also.

$14.99 is too high for me for almost any eBook, so I just put the book on my wishlist and wait for the price to come down or, if possible, request it from the library.

Frequent Contributor
DenisePW

I know this pricing topic is repeatedly brought up, and I AM one of the offenders that keeps bringing it up.  First, if this topic's repeated discussion offends you, sorry.  Feel free to skip my posts, and if you feel the need to blast me for boring you to tears, go right ahead.

BUT:

I have no intention of NOT bringing up pricing.  I am offended by the price fixing, anti-trust violative behavior of the Agency 5.  I am offended by the retailers that bent to the will of the Agency 5.  I am angry that because of the illegal price fixing by the Agency 5, there will not be competition to bring down prices over time.  Sooner, rather than later, $14.99 will become the new price point.  And, according to the Agency 5, we have no choice but to accept it. 

And, at least 1 of these Agency 5 refuses to make their books available to libraries, so that alternative source is also shut down.  

So, YES, I will in almost all instances refuse to pay what I feel is an excessive price for an ebook.  And YES, I will bring up this topic again.  Because the retailers like B&N need to keep hearing it, & they need to tell the Agency 5 that their customers are unhappy.  For every 1 customer complaining about it, there are 20 more who are annoyed and frustrated but may not even know there is a place to express their frustration. 

flyingtoastr
0 Kudos

Once again, I point out that every retailer is happier with the evil Agency 5 model, outside of the loss-leading Amazon. They have the option here to actually make money instead of losing $3 off of every new release ebook purchase.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree

flyingtoastr wrote:

Once again, I point out that every retailer is happier with the evil Agency 5 model, outside of the loss-leading Amazon. They have the option here to actually make money instead of losing $3 off of every new release ebook purchase.

Being glad to see Amazon knocked off its perch and being happy with the Agency Model are two different things.

In my experience, business management detests having its freedom of action in sales and marketing dictated by outside entities, even if the imposed model makes them some money.  At the B&N head office, I'm sure that more than one person recognizes that a model where Apple can impose and enforce both a floor on everybody else's losses and a ceiling on everybody else's profits is more stable and so a bigger longterm threat than a model where Amazon is losing money with everybody else.

After all, eventually Bezos will decide that he's lost enough -- it's a question of outlasting him.  Aside from consumer anger or government intervention, there's no corresponding pressure on Jobs and his collaborators to change anything, ever.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+