Bibliophile
bklvr896

No Longer Free Posts

I really wish people would stop posting such and such a book is no longer free.   I know people are trying to be helpful, but it's annoying to go check the thread because there's new posts only to find out it's a post telling me something I already checked out is no longer free.  Honestly, I can figure out it's no longer free when I click on the book and there's a price listed instead of the word "free".

Distinguished Correspondent
javabird

Re: No Longer Free Posts

I agree with you, but there has been resistance from some people whenever this has been requested. I think it's a losing battle getting people to cooperate .
Bibliophile
bklvr896

Re: No Longer Free Posts

I know there has been resistance, I just done understand it.  I don't see the point of the post and its just annoying and a waste of time to think there might be a free book only to find out it's another it's no longer free post.

Scribe
Froide

Making No Longer Free Posts = Trolling

[ Edited ]

INTRODUCTION AND THANKS: Thank you, bklvr896, for starting this thread, and previous posters for your contributions.

TO "NO LONGER FREE" ("NLF" POSTERS): Would you please read this thread and heed it?

I respectfully suggest, if you feel compelled to post something when a NOOKbook in the "Free NOOKbook summary thread - please no OT" is no longer free: why not post a tag that reads: "No Longer Free" or "NLF"? But would you please refrain from making an entire NLF post?

CAUTION TO EVERYONE: I vent below. And it ain't all pretty.

I love reading, but not OT, troll posts, or electronic SPAM - all of which (in my book) "No Longer Free" posts equate to.

This "Making No Longer Free Posts" thread was created specifically to address NLF posts being made on the informatively titled thread: "Free NOOKbook summary thread - please no OT". Anyone capable of reading that thread or this one - heck, of making "No Longer Free" posts, even - is fully capable of understanding that all members of the above-linked forum:

1. Expect posts to address FREE NOOKbooks (not those that are no longer free),
  2. Understand that many books posted are free temporarily, and readers should therefore check the current price before buying (hence, "No Longer Free" posts are unnecessary and, like weeds ina flower garden, would become numerous if allowed to proliferate), and
  3. OT (definition: Off-Topic) posts are unwelcome (and so, given points #1 and #2 above, the OT shoe fits NLF posts).

Doubtless, some "No Longer Free" posters are well-meaning but unaware they're offending. To them, I say, "I appreciate your good intentions. Now please, cease and desist. As Dr. Krakauer told Carmela Soprano in 'Second Opinion': Now you can never say you haven't been told. Now, God bless, and a'salut."

Then there are the willful offenders, who consciously resist entreaties to refrain from making "No Longer Free" posts, insistent upon fulfilling their own (unfathomable but ultimately self-serving) motives for littering the forum and wasting everyone's time (theirs and everyone else's) with extraneous data they've already been advised is neither value-added nor appreciated, and therefore is in fact, OT. These posters, according to "Wikipedia: Troll (Internet)" - particularly, in the section titled "Usage" - are tantamount to Internet trolls. And their OT, "No longer free" forum posts are tantamount to what "Wikipedia: Spam (electronic)" describes as a non-commercial form of Forum Spam.

The terms "troll" and "spam" have taken on pejorative shadings, for good reason, and I'm sure no NLF posters appreciate being seen as trolls or spammers.  But I tell ya, your posts are rubbing some of us that way.

If you find this post insulting (and insulting you is not my aim, communicating with you is), please try to consider the perspectives expressed by the posters above me in this thread and in similar posts within the "Free NOOKbook summary thread - please no OT" forum. And pretty please, with your favorite flavoring on top, also consider the proposal I posed at the top of this post (rant) (screed).

[Edited to correct a typo and provide a more specific URL.]

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx

[My quicklinks to pick/post limited-time ebook and audiobook freebies in the Limited-Time NOOKbook Freebies and Official OT threads.]
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

Making No Longer Free Posts =/= Trolling

Alright, obviously some of you have some very strong feelings about this, but just because you don't like something doesn't make it trolling.  The people posting those are doing so because they would want to know if something wasn't free, so they believe others would too.

Seriously, people, this is not that big of a deal, and it's certainly not worth name-calling over.

Scribe
Froide

Re: Making No Longer Free Posts =/= Trolling or = Trolling? It's up to the beholder

[ Edited ]

@ Kerifleur - "No thanks" means just that. And the terms I used were clearly defined - and noted as not necessarily being pejorative ("name-calling") - in the definitions I linked to. The rest of this post acknowledges that fact, as well as the reality that some might not bother to click on and read the linked definitions.

As per the Wikipedia defnition pasted in my OP above (which is my working definition, and therefore not idly pasted) for the noun and verb "troll (Internet)", the use of that term is apt here. I've pasted the relevant definition below:

"off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of [...] otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion"

And as the relevant content I've pasted below from the "Usage" section of Wikipedia: Troll (Internet) indicates:

• The term has an objective meaning; thus its use is not necessarily pejorative, and
    • Granted, whether or not one classifies a post as a "troll" is subjective; in the case of this "No Longer Free" discussion, that judgment is up to the beholder (not the poster).

From the "Usage" section of Wikipedia: Troll (Internet)#Usage:

Application of the term troll is subjective. Some readers may characterize a post as trolling, while others may regard the same post as a legitimate contribution to the discussion, even if controversial. Like any pejorative term, it can be used as an ad hominem attack, suggesting a negative motivation.

Regardless of the circumstances, controversial posts may attract a particularly strong response from those unfamiliar with the robust dialogue found in some online, rather than physical, communities. Experienced participants in online forums know that the most effective way to discourage a troll is usually to ignore it[citation needed], because responding tends to encourage trolls to continue disruptive posts – hence the often-seen warning: "Please do not feed the trolls".

OK, I'm done: I've voiced my piece. I've vented. I've defended my OP.  And I don't want to clog THIS board with troll posts. 

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx

[My quicklinks to pick/post limited-time ebook and audiobook freebies in the Limited-Time NOOKbook Freebies and Official OT threads.]
Bibliophile
bklvr896

Re: Making No Longer Free Posts =/= Trolling

[ Edited ]

keriflur wrote:

Alright, obviously some of you have some very strong feelings about this, but just because you don't like something doesn't make it trolling.  The people posting those are doing so because they would want to know if something wasn't free, so they believe others would too.

Seriously, people, this is not that big of a deal, and it's certainly not worth name-calling over.

I agree it's not worth name calling and that was never my intention.  While it's not a big deal, there are many times, when I'm short of time and basically making a hit and run through the boards.  I see there are several new posts on the free books thread, go to the thread, only to find that they are "no longer free" posts.  That's annoying to me and a waste of my time.  Again, not a big deal, just annoying and a waste of my time.  But I certainly don't feel it's trolling or spam.  Mostly it's (IMHO) well meaning people, I just wish they'd stop. 

In fact, for  a while, I'd just quit checking the thread at all.

MacMcK1957

How about closing out the old Free NOOKbook summary thread - please no OT thread and replacing it with one labeled Free NOOKbook summary thread - Note: prices may change at any time?  That way your warning is at the top of the page and it should be self-evident that we do not need individual notices on specific books.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58

keriflur wrote:

It's not trolling if you do it.  :smileylol:

keriflur

deesy58 wrote:

keriflur wrote:

It's not trolling if you do it.  :smileylol:

No, it's not trolling, period.  Sorry if you're not smart enough to understand.  I know big words can be confusing for you.

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1

Personally I don;t see why people get so concerned over the few "no longer free" posts. I just scroll right past them as if I had been interested in the book when I saw the posting for it I would have already clicked on it and found out whether or not it was still free well before I got to the "no longer free" post. If it makes someone feel like they are helping others by posting this info then that's fine, it doesn't personally bother me and I don't understand why so many individuals get all worked up over them - it's not that difficult to just keep scrolling right past them...
Inspired Scribe
kamas716

MacMck, I suggested something similar several months ago. It didn't go over too well. Seems most people just wanted to keep b*tchin' and complainin' rather than actually do something constructive about it.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Bibliophile
bklvr896

Nevermore1 wrote:
Personally I don;t see why people get so concerned over the few "no longer free" posts. I just scroll right past them as if I had been interested in the book when I saw the posting for it I would have already clicked on it and found out whether or not it was still free well before I got to the "no longer free" post. If it makes someone feel like they are helping others by posting this info then that's fine, it doesn't personally bother me and I don't understand why so many individuals get all worked up over them - it's not that difficult to just keep scrolling right past them...

Nevermore1, since I started the post ill explain why it bothers me.  There are days when I have very limited free time available, I hit the boards and check to see if there any free books listed.  i see some new posts listed, click on the thread only to find that the new posts are posts telling me some book I already looked at is no longer free.  So basically I've just wasted some of my free time.

It's not that big a deal, I agree, it's just annoying at times and when I wrote this post, I had made a quick check earlier that day during a short break at work, only to find the new posts were not free anymore posts.  

javabird

[ Edited ]

Nevermore1 wrote:

Some people have set up alerts, so they can get notified whenever there's a new post in a forum. I have this set up for the free books so I won't miss new posts -- this is especially helpful because some of the freebies are available for a limited time only and they've been known to go away quickly. This is helpful if you're at work and can't easily keep checking in from your work PC.

I haven't noticed anyone  "getting so concerned" about it -- people have just made polite requests, because it's frustrating to check in to see a new post, just to find out it's a "no longer free" message. The fact that any book could be no longer free is a given anyway so it seems pointless to post it.

I'm sure everyone realizes that the people who are posting the those messages are just trying to be helpful, and no one has "gotten worked up over it," they've just tried to educate people about why it's not helpful.

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy

[ Edited ]

kamas716 wrote:
MacMck, I suggested something similar several months ago. It didn't go over too well. Seems most people just wanted to keep b*tchin' and complainin' rather than actually do something constructive about it.
Awhile ago I created "The-Official-OT-Free-NOOKbook-summary-thread" located here:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Book-Discussion/The-Official-OT-Free-NOOKbook-summary-th...

This is a place that was designed specifically for any discussion related to free Nook books, including NLF announcements.  It is absolutely the perfect place for NLF messages and I encourage all NLF posters to use this thread instead of the free book thread, for all of the reasons posted earlier.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716

beeyebickiebuy wrote:

kamas716 wrote:
Awhile ago I created "The-Official-OT-Free-NOOKbook-summary-thread" located here:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Book-Discussion/The-Official-OT-Free-NOOKbook-summary-th...

This is a place that was designed specifically for any discussion related to free Nook books, including NLF announcements.  It is absolutely the perfect place for NLF messages and I encourage all NLF posters to use this thread instead of the free book thread, for all of the reasons posted earlier.

Creating a new thread for OT posts is great.  But, it doesn't really solve the problem.  Most new people to the thread are probably only going to read the first page (maybe the first couple) and the last couple of pages.  Doug's opening post says "Everyone should feel free to post here, as long as it's on-topic for free NOOKbooks. If you find a freebie that's not on the list, let us know! If a NOOKbook becomes un-free, let us know! If you want to post Smashwords freebies, go right ahead; I'm not in charge."  Anyone new who reads that is going to think it's perfectly OK to make NLF posts because the rules changed sometime later in the 200+ pages.  That's why NLF and Smashwords posts continually pop up.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
MDD73
0 Kudos
MDD73

Re: New Free Comic

[ Edited ]

D'oh!  I totally put that post in the wrong topic.  Sorry about that.  I don't know what the heck I was thinking.

Throwing in my $.02 on the actual topic here, though:  I don't mind the NLF posts.  I only pay attention to the free thread and the Smashwords free thread.  If I don't check it for a while, the NLF posts actually come in handy for me.  But, of course it's not my board nor my rules.

javabird
0 Kudos

kamas716 wrote:

beeyebickiebuy wrote:

kamas716 wrote:

Creating a new thread for OT posts is great.  But, it doesn't really solve the problem.  Most new people to the thread are probably only going to read the first page (maybe the first couple) and the last couple of pages.  Doug's opening post says "Everyone should feel free to post here, as long as it's on-topic for free NOOKbooks. If you find a freebie that's not on the list, let us know! If a NOOKbook becomes un-free, let us know! If you want to post Smashwords freebies, go right ahead; I'm not in charge."  Anyone new who reads that is going to think it's perfectly OK to make NLF posts because the rules changed sometime later in the 200+ pages.  That's why NLF and Smashwords posts continually pop up.

The previous section it puts that comment in context:" 

"This thread is intended to be an ongoing list of the latest free NOOKbooks of note.

Personally, I'm not going to be including routine Smashwords freebies in my postings on this list. Nor some of the perennial freebies, especially from Harlequin. Check the B&N Free NOOKbooks page for those:http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Free-eBooks/379001668/"

The problem is that the thread has evolved quite a bit since Doug originally started it, and since Doug stopped maintaining it.

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy

Ever the optimist I had hoped that this thread woudl do some good, but alas and alack no such luck.