Contributor
APerson
0 Kudos

Nook book costs more than THREE TIMES the cost of paperback

[ Edited ]

Barnes and Noble has just lost my business. I just spent more than half an hour with their online "customer service" (is that an oxymoron?) chat when I tried to find out why they are selling a Nook book for $85 when I could buy a hard copy of the EXACT same title from the other big online book seller (named after a jungle) for a mere $27.53 (and that includes free shipping). After wasting too much time, the best that Barnes and Noble could do was tell me that the publishers are the ones who set the prices (oh really?) and that there are "differences" in prices between eBooks and hard copies (duh). In answering a complaint I filed with Barnes and Noble about the matter via e-mail, they had the audacity to state, 

"However, Barnes and Noble does not control the pricing of eBooks. Publishers control the pricing of digital books. 

"We are committed to offering these eBooks and ePeriodicals at a very competitive price. As per your request, we will be forwarding this information to the publisher for consideration and possible revision of the price. eBooks will continue to offer an extraordinary value versus most physical books."

Well, Barnes and Noble's eBook prices are extraordinary - extraordinarily OBSCENE! Competitive? Maybe their employees are having a contest to see who can get to the unemployement lined the fastest. I just saved nearly SIXTY DOLLARS by ordering the hard copy from the jungle place and Barnes and Noble has just lost me as a customer.

Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

Re: Nook book costs more than THREE TIMES the cost of paperback

@APerson:

The information you received was correct; B&N does not set the price of eBooks.  Search these boards for discussion of the "agency model" for all of the previous discussions regarding the bizarre results which sometimes occur under the agency model.

Before you get too upset at B&N, did you check Amazon's price on the Kindle version of the book in which you were interested?  I suspect you will find that their eBook version is the same price as the NOOKbook version - precisely because, under the agency model, the publisher, rather than the retailer, sets the price for eBooks and the agency model dictates that all retailers must sell the same eBook for the same price.  If you find that the Kindle version is cheaper, then you might have reason to get upset, although again, any price glitch on an agency model eBook is probably the fault of the publisher's communication with B&N, rather than B&N's failure.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0

The OP is comparing the cost of an e-book to hardcover?  As stated previously e-book prices (if published by one of the major publishers) are set by the publisher.  For hardcover books anything goes.  I saw an apple the other day and it was more expensive than an orange.  Same thing.

►Without order there is chaos◄
BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
Solutions: 41
0 Kudos

BN_AlexG
0 Kudos

BN_AlexG
0 Kudos

Contributor
APerson
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@ BradieC,

Sure did, the Kindle Book was more than $20 less. If Barnes and Noble, Amazon, or any other "business" allows their suppliers to set prices, then they deserve to go out of business. B & N will soon be going the way of Borders and it will be their own fault.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Distinguished Correspondent
DCLOVELL
0 Kudos

I would also like to know that the book is.  I have been following this thread and another one on this subject and the book title or author is never mentioned.

Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

@APerson:

I, too, would be interested in knowing what book you're talking about.  As I said in my prior post, if this is an agency model eBook, you have every right to be upset because Amazon should not be able to beat B&N's price; you can tell if your eBook is an agency model product by looking at the product page to see the "Product Details."  If they show the publisher's name after "Sold by:," it's an agency model eBook.  You can usually also tell by looking at whether the price is shown with a discount; if no discount is indicated, it's probably an agency model eBook.

I know you're happy with the DTB purchase you finally made, so you probably don't want to talk to B&N any more, but if this is an agency model eBook and you can show them that Amazon is selling it at a cheaper price, they should be able to match Amazon's price.  The information you initially received from B&N Customer Service is, however, the correct standard response with respect to agency model eBooks.

I also know that you probably aren't interested at this point, but B&N, Amazon, and the other retailers did not "allow their suppliers to set prices"; they were forced into the agency model for reasons and under circumstances which have been discussed to death in other threads on these boards.  The fact is, however, that the agency model may actually have helped B&N's financial health, as, before the agency model, Amazon was able to use its size to undercut other retailers' prices by taking losses those other retailers could not tolerate.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

APerson wrote:

@ BradieC,

Sure did, the Kindle Book was more than $20 less. If Barnes and Noble, Amazon, or any other "business" allows their suppliers to set prices, then they deserve to go out of business. B & N will soon be going the way of Borders and it will be their own fault.

Well, I then I guess all the eBook sellers, Amazon, B&N,  Apple, Kobo, Sony, etc are going out of business because the big six publishers all set the price, since they are the seller, the retailer is agent and gets a commission.

Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

Why didn't you buy the ebook at Amazon? Then you might have something to complain about.
Contributor
APerson
0 Kudos

So many B&N  cheerleaders on this board! Too bad you didn't read my OP! I did buy the book from Amazon and saved nearly SIXTY DOLLARS. Enjoy wating money with B&N, I'm sure they enjoy taking it as much as their troll enjoy whining about legitimate complaints.

keriflur
0 Kudos

APerson wrote:

So many B&N  cheerleaders on this board! Too bad you didn't read my OP! I did buy the book from Amazon and saved nearly SIXTY DOLLARS. Enjoy wating money with B&N, I'm sure they enjoy taking it as much as their troll enjoy whining about legitimate complaints.

Actually, we asked you what the book was and you're not responding...

MacMcK1957

DNFTT

keriflur
0 Kudos

...and people who complain without giving any details are obviously trolls.

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Yup.  Especially repeatedly ignoring a specific and direct question.

DCLOVELL
0 Kudos

Makes me think maybe there's more to the story...of course without the title of the book...I question this whole post.  I am not a B&N cheerleader.  They have their good points and bad points like Amazon or ANY other decent company....

Will we ever know what the title is?????

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The story never held together.  The Nookbook price was outrageous, such as I have seen only rarely, on pretty obscure academic works.  Only thing I could think of would be an obsolete book that was remaindered on the hard copy but the Nook price never adjusted.

DCLOVELL
0 Kudos

Yep...and there is also the used book sellers that are on Amazon....