AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0

Re: Nook book costs more than THREE TIMES the cost of paperback

DCLOVELL wrote:

Yep...and there is also the used book sellers that are on Amazon....

B&N won't let you sell a used e-book.  They claim the Nook gets dog-eared.  What a rotten company!

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

B&N won't let you sell a used e-book.  They claim the Nook gets dog-eared.  What a rotten company!

The mustard stains look really bad in e-ink.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

APerson wrote:

So many B&N  cheerleaders on this board! Too bad you didn't read my OP! I did buy the book from Amazon and saved nearly SIXTY DOLLARS. Enjoy wating money with B&N, I'm sure they enjoy taking it as much as their troll enjoy whining about legitimate complaints.

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat

I am not the OP here, and I do know how to compare apples to apples. I happened upon an interesting example, comprising books by an author who interests me. Here's a quick comparison among several of his titles available on NOOK, Kindle, and Google. These are from various non-agency publishers, so discrepancies shouldn't be a surprise. But some of them are large.

Author: Stuart Kauffman

At Home in the Universe

Google: $9.99

Kindle: $9.99

NOOK: $10.41 (and listed under the wrong author name)

Reinventing the Sacred

Google: $9.99

Kindle: $8.99

NOOK: $10.33

(Wait, it gets better.)

Investigations

Google: $16.50

Kindle: $16.50

NOOK: $30.00

The Origins of Order

Google: $40.00

Kindle: $27.50

NOOK: $42.00

In every case the NOOK book has the highest price, though sometimes by just a few cents.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
AlanNJ
0 Kudos

As we all know non-agency books are priced by the vendor not the publisher.  I would expect discrepancies.  Granted some of them are pretty big but who is B&N hurting except themselves?  I wonder if there are book prices the other way around?  For example, B&N charging less than Amazon or Google?  Honestly I'm not interested enough to look.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013

Kauffman

I've said it before, I'll say it again: if you're interested in non-fiction e-books, B&N isn't the place to look. B&N's NOOK Book focus currently is on fiction.

keriflur
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

As we all know non-agency books are priced by the vendor not the publisher.  I would expect discrepancies.  Granted some of them are pretty big but who is B&N hurting except themselves?  I wonder if there are book prices the other way around?  For example, B&N charging less than Amazon or Google?  Honestly I'm not interested enough to look.

LOL, I'm not either, but I'm sure they're out there.  I guarantee there are people on the Amazon and Google forums complaining and posting examples of B&N being cheaper.

Frequent Contributor
Irishelf
0 Kudos

I must be reading the wrong kinds of books, since I've NEVER found B&N to have the lowest price-they almost always have the highest price (and not just for nonfiction-Hunger Games is a good example).
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Irishelf wrote:
... I've NEVER found B&N to have the lowest price-they almost always have the highest price ...

Sony almost always has the highest price.  NOOK is usually higher than Kindle, true, but Sony almost always outprices them both.

In any case, Google books and Sony books and Kobo books all work on NOOK.  If Google or Kobo or Sony are less expensive than B&N, you can buy from them and read them on NOOK.

keriflur
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

Irishelf wrote:
... I've NEVER found B&N to have the lowest price-they almost always have the highest price ...

Sony almost always has the highest price.  NOOK is usually higher than Kindle, true, but Sony almost always outprices them both.

In any case, Google books and Sony books and Kobo books all work on NOOK.  If Google or Kobo or Sony are less expensive than B&N, you can buy from them and read them on NOOK.

Kobo is usually just a little higher than B&N, with Sony being higher than Kobo, at least for the stuff I read (mostly YA and urban fantasy).  I'm starting to check Google now before buying - I can't imagine any company more prepared to give Amazon a run for their money than Google.

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I haven't purchased any books from Google but you need to go thru Adobe digital editions to put them on the Nook, right?  

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

AlanNJ wrote:

I haven't purchased any books from Google but you need to go thru Adobe digital editions to put them on the Nook, right?  

Yep, they work just like Sony and Kobo books.

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

Re: Nook book costs....attorney's opinion

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

Yep, they work just like Sony and Kobo books.

Thanks Ya_Ya!

Distinguished Correspondent
k2nax

So just for fun, try a search of all Nook books (2.7M of them) and sort them highest to lowest price.  You will find that after 50+ pages at 90/page, there are over 5000 books that cost more than $180 for the Nook.  So $85 begins to look like a bargin.  I actually found that my Mechanics of Materials book was on sale (rats) for $146, what a bargin.  There are some real interesting books in that list such as the Nervous System of the Mouse for $195.  Kind of reminds me of this thread...

It is better to have loved your nook and lost,
than never to have loved your nook at all.
Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy

keriflur wrote:

APerson wrote:

So many B&N  cheerleaders on this board! Too bad you didn't read my OP! I did buy the book from Amazon and saved nearly SIXTY DOLLARS. Enjoy wating money with B&N, I'm sure they enjoy taking it as much as their troll enjoy whining about legitimate complaints.

Actually, we asked you what the book was and you're not responding...

Crickets.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

k2nax wrote:

So just for fun, try a search of all Nook books (2.7M of them) and sort them highest to lowest price.  You will find that after 50+ pages at 90/page, there are over 5000 books that cost more than $180 for the Nook.  So $85 begins to look like a bargin.  I actually found that my Mechanics of Materials book was on sale (rats) for $146, what a bargin.  There are some real interesting books in that list such as the Nervous System of the Mouse for $195.  Kind of reminds me of this thread...

Textbooks are, and always have been, expensive.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716