Reply
Distinguished Correspondent
KennaS
Posts: 61
Registered: ‎02-12-2011
0 Kudos

Nook no longer allowing Kobo books on the readers?

I had a problem with my Kobo account and trying to download a free book to my computer. I called Kobo and after several confusing conversations and emails I finally got this. 

 

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting Kobo Customer Care.
You contacted us because you are having trouble adding the book to your library to download to your Nook.

The reason that you are having trouble with downloading the book to your Nook is because Barnes and Noble has recently changed permissions with the Nook and you are now unable to purchase books through Kobo to read on your Nook.

If you wish to inquire into this particular issue further you will need to contact Barnes and Noble.
If you require assistance in the future please feel free to contact us.


Sincerely,
The Kobo Team

 

 

Despite this not being the answer to my question, I called Kobo to confirm and was told that this was correct. We can no longer put Kobo books on our Nooks.

 

So, there you have it. I can't download to my computer because B&N wont allow it. This did solve a problem that I may have had in the future however I still never found out why I can't get it on my computer.

 

Has any one else had problems with Kobo lately? 

 

God changes appearances every second. Blessed is the man who can recognize him in all his disguises. One moment he is a glass of fresh water, the next, your son bouncing on your knees or an enchanting woman, or perhaps merely a morning walk.-Nikos Kazantzakis
Contributor
jewelianna
Posts: 24
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Nook no longer allowing Kobo books on the readers?

I was able to transfer files purchased a while ago onto my nook today, through ADE, with no problems.  Maybe it only applies to new purchases?

Distinguished Correspondent
KennaS
Posts: 61
Registered: ‎02-12-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Nook no longer allowing Kobo books on the readers?

I don't know. I called a bit earlier to find out why it wont go onto my computer at least and I got frustrated with the guy and hung up. He was very inept at his job and I didn't have time for that since I was at work at the time. Im pretty frustrated by the whole situation. One of the reasons I bought the Nook was because I could get books from other sites. Now it seems that those are slowly going away if those sites have their own readers to purchase. :smileysad:  

God changes appearances every second. Blessed is the man who can recognize him in all his disguises. One moment he is a glass of fresh water, the next, your son bouncing on your knees or an enchanting woman, or perhaps merely a morning walk.-Nikos Kazantzakis
Contributor
rcwidow
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎04-14-2011
0 Kudos

Nook no longer allowing Kobo books on the readers?

That is strange. I don't know much about it, but I did make my first purchase from kobobooks.com yesterday. I had a coupon code (redtag2) for $2.00 off certain books. I was able to buy Water for Elephants for $2.17 and I got a couple of other books free. I was able to download them to my computer and open in ADE and then in ADE copy to my nook just fine. Since the Nook reads EPub and PDF files, then it should work if you downloading those type of files. Shouldn't it? Hopefully, someone else can clarify.
Wordsmith
ProfReader
Posts: 1,135
Registered: ‎02-18-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook no longer allowing Kobo books on the readers?

 


KennaS wrote:

I had a problem with my Kobo account and trying to download a free book to my computer. I called Kobo and after several confusing conversations and emails I finally got this. 

 

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting Kobo Customer Care.
You contacted us because you are having trouble adding the book to your library to download to your Nook.

The reason that you are having trouble with downloading the book to your Nook is because Barnes and Noble has recently changed permissions with the Nook and you are now unable to purchase books through Kobo to read on your Nook.

If you wish to inquire into this particular issue further you will need to contact Barnes and Noble.
If you require assistance in the future please feel free to contact us.


Sincerely,
The Kobo Team

 

 

Despite this not being the answer to my question, I called Kobo to confirm and was told that this was correct. We can no longer put Kobo books on our Nooks.

 

So, there you have it. I can't download to my computer because B&N wont allow it. This did solve a problem that I may have had in the future however I still never found out why I can't get it on my computer.

 

Has any one else had problems with Kobo lately? 

 


 

 

I believe that you have been msinformed kobo books use the standard ADE encryption and load through ADE just fine. 

Wordsmith
swan480
Posts: 303
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Nook no longer allowing Kobo books on the readers?

 


rcwidow wrote:
That is strange. I don't know much about it, but I did make my first purchase from kobobooks.com yesterday. I had a coupon code (redtag2) for $2.00 off certain books. I was able to buy Water for Elephants for $2.17 and I got a couple of other books free. I was able to download them to my computer and open in ADE and then in ADE copy to my nook just fine. Since the Nook reads EPub and PDF files, then it should work if you downloading those type of files. Shouldn't it? Hopefully, someone else can clarify.

 

I also bought this book yesterday and put it on my Nook without any problems.  I didn't transfer it in ADE, either, and it still worked -- I opened the ebook in ADE and then dragged and dropped the file from My Digital Editions folder onto my SD card on the Nook.

Wordsmith
swan480
Posts: 303
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: Nook no longer allowing Kobo books on the readers?


KennaS wrote:

I had a problem with my Kobo account and trying to download a free book to my computer. I called Kobo and after several confusing conversations and emails I finally got this. 

 

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting Kobo Customer Care.
You contacted us because you are having trouble adding the book to your library to download to your Nook.

The reason that you are having trouble with downloading the book to your Nook is because Barnes and Noble has recently changed permissions with the Nook and you are now unable to purchase books through Kobo to read on your Nook.

If you wish to inquire into this particular issue further you will need to contact Barnes and Noble.
If you require assistance in the future please feel free to contact us.


Sincerely,
The Kobo Team

 

 

Despite this not being the answer to my question, I called Kobo to confirm and was told that this was correct. We can no longer put Kobo books on our Nooks.

 

So, there you have it. I can't download to my computer because B&N wont allow it. This did solve a problem that I may have had in the future however I still never found out why I can't get it on my computer.

 

Has any one else had problems with Kobo lately? 

 



Did the ebook actually offer an ADE download, or was it an ebook you have to read online?  I bought a book from Kobo a week or so ago and discovered that they didn't offer an epub download -- the ebook could only be read online OR using Kobo's app.  I asked for a refund and was given one in the form of store credit.
It sounds like this is your problem.  In one of your posts you say that you can't download to your computer because B&N won't allow it.  That sounds to me like the ebook you got doesn't have a file to download, because B&N wouldn't have any say over what you download to your own computer.
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
Posts: 4,123
Registered: ‎01-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook no longer allowing Kobo books on the readers?

@KennaS

 

Not true -- I'm not sure why someone at Kobo would have told you that.

 

As soon as I read your post, I went to Kobo and bought a book:

 

 

Consider Phlebas

  

 

 

it downloaded to ADE and sideloaded to my Nook without a problem, a few minutes ago.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Correspondent
kivvie
Posts: 160
Registered: ‎04-22-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook no longer allowing Kobo books on the readers?

Kobo has a problem if that was the official message you got from them. I went over to their website and looked up supported readers . . .I posted from their website below. Now the question is whether the book you purchased was in Epub format or not. I flipped through a few of the best sellers, everything came up Adobe DRM EPUB format. I would have a problem with a company that states they support an ereader if in fact they do not.

 

I am not aware of anything that would have changed your nook. It isn't like we had a software update recently; therefore, it is beyond comprehension how B&N would have done anything to change the functionality of the nook in your possession.

 

The following eReaders can read books from the Kobo Store in EPUB format. New eReaders are introduced all the time, though, so this list may not be complete.

Note: You'll need free software called Adobe Digital Editions to transfer your Kobo books to your eReader. Find out more.

  • Barnes & Noble Nook
Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,781
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Nook no longer allowing Kobo books on the readers?

 


KennaS wrote:

I had a problem with my Kobo account and trying to download a free book to my computer. I called Kobo and after several confusing conversations and emails I finally got this. 

 

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting Kobo Customer Care.
You contacted us because you are having trouble adding the book to your library to download to your Nook.

The reason that you are having trouble with downloading the book to your Nook is because Barnes and Noble has recently changed permissions with the Nook and you are now unable to purchase books through Kobo to read on your Nook.

If you wish to inquire into this particular issue further you will need to contact Barnes and Noble.
If you require assistance in the future please feel free to contact us.


Sincerely,
The Kobo Team

 

 

Despite this not being the answer to my question, I called Kobo to confirm and was told that this was correct. We can no longer put Kobo books on our Nooks.

 

So, there you have it. I can't download to my computer because B&N wont allow it. This did solve a problem that I may have had in the future however I still never found out why I can't get it on my computer.

 

Has any one else had problems with Kobo lately? 

 


What book was it?

 

Frequent Contributor
YvonneReviews
Posts: 85
Registered: ‎03-14-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook no longer allowing Kobo books on the readers?

I purhcased a book from Kobo yesterday and had no problem putting it on my Nook (using ADE).

 

 

Click to join EReaders Unite!
Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,781
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Nook no longer allowing Kobo books on the readers?

I just purchased a book from Kobo 5 minutes ago and downloaded it to my computer and loaded and opened in my Nook, so the information from Kobo is definitely incorrect.

 

Also, as someone else said, B&N would have no control over what you download to your computer.  There are some books on the Kobo site that can only be read online.

Distinguished Correspondent
KennaS
Posts: 61
Registered: ‎02-12-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Nook no longer allowing Kobo books on the readers?

The book was "The Abandoned" and the thread that started is here http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKbook-Discussion/Kobo-questions/m-p/967228/message-uid/967...

 

Like I said earlier, I didnt stay on the line with the person that helped me because quite frankly, he was an idiot and thought that you guys could help me out with this. I thought about the ADE moving the books and what not but I dont know much about it and have no idea how long ago this "agreement" with B&N ended. kobo frustrates me to no end! 

 

I got an email about a problem that I didnt even ask about stating that I DID ask about my Kendle and the fact that I could not get refunded for a book that I didnt even purchase. Im startingt to ramble, I need to go count to 10.

 

1...2...3...4...

God changes appearances every second. Blessed is the man who can recognize him in all his disguises. One moment he is a glass of fresh water, the next, your son bouncing on your knees or an enchanting woman, or perhaps merely a morning walk.-Nikos Kazantzakis
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
Posts: 1,734
Registered: ‎12-14-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook no longer allowing Kobo books on the readers?

[ Edited ]

Hmmm ... I really can't picture B&N making any such move to prohibit reading another outlet's epub books on our nooks.

 

I purchased four Civil War books with the promo code yesterday and downloaded them all into ADE and onto my nook just fine. Their downloadable epubs are Adobe DRM.

 

I encountered only one problem. I couldn't find the download button on one and wrote to customer service. They promptly replied that there is no epub available for that particular book, thus it is not downloadable. No problem, I can still read it in my Kobo library online. But it wasn't because of some excuse that B&N forbids it.

 

Since the ebook industry is moving to the standardized epub format, there are very few places left that don't offer it. But B&N has given us a wonderful opportunity with the nook, the ability to sideload our items garnered from other sources. They want people to read. So it makes no sense for B&N to circumvent their thinking on this, and I truly doubt that they did. Rather it seems a couple of service agents just didn't want to take the time to look into the matter, which can happen with any company.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,781
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Nook no longer allowing Kobo books on the readers?

 


KennaS wrote:

The book was "The Abandoned" and the thread that started is here http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKbook-Discussion/Kobo-questions/m-p/967228/message-uid/967...

 

Like I said earlier, I didnt stay on the line with the person that helped me because quite frankly, he was an idiot and thought that you guys could help me out with this. I thought about the ADE moving the books and what not but I dont know much about it and have no idea how long ago this "agreement" with B&N ended. kobo frustrates me to no end! 

 

I got an email about a problem that I didnt even ask about stating that I DID ask about my Kendle and the fact that I could not get refunded for a book that I didnt even purchase. Im startingt to ramble, I need to go count to 10.

 

1...2...3...4...


 

Someone on the other thread mentioned it was a problem with the book.  There is no "agreement" with B&N that ended, numerous people here have stated they are able to purchase and download books from Kobo without a problem. And again, there is no way BN can stop you from downloading something to your PC.  And since there's been no updates to the Nook since 1.5, they can't have done anything to prevent you from reading the book on your Nook, unless Kobo changed something, and it doesn't appear that they have.

 

I just tried to get that book and although it says free, when you try and download it tries to charge you $2.39, I think Kobo just has an issue with that book.

 

Unfortunately, you need to go back to Kobo and first explain to them that you cannot download the book to your PC at all.  I've found Kobo's CS to be very responsive, I have no idea why they sent you that response because it certainly doesn't seem to be true. 

Doug_Pardee
Posts: 5,504
Kudos: 3,957
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook no longer allowing Kobo books on the readers?


KennaS wrote:
The book was "The Abandoned"

Unrelated to the Kobo question: if you're still trying to get that e-book, you can get it directly from eHarlequin.

 

Distinguished Correspondent
KennaS
Posts: 61
Registered: ‎02-12-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Nook no longer allowing Kobo books on the readers?

 


Doug_Pardee wrote:

KennaS wrote:
The book was "The Abandoned"

Unrelated to the Kobo question: if you're still trying to get that e-book, you can get it directly from eHarlequin.

 


 

Thanks Doug! Thats actually all I really wanted in the first place when I started this wild Kobocoaster ride!

 

 

God changes appearances every second. Blessed is the man who can recognize him in all his disguises. One moment he is a glass of fresh water, the next, your son bouncing on your knees or an enchanting woman, or perhaps merely a morning walk.-Nikos Kazantzakis
New User
RODell
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎12-26-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Nook no longer allowing Kobo books on the readers?

Hi,

I just wanted to comment on the question "Has anyone else had problems with KOBO lately?"  I have had nothing but problems with KOBO.  I have a KOBO Touch and started having issues with it after about 2 months.  It froze up on me and I could not access it.  I contacted KOBO about the issues and they first had to start a "ticket", then wanted me to answer a series of questions.  I answered them several times, but they claimed I left out details.  They refused to resolve the problems, which is why I bought a NOOK.  I no longer want to deal with KOBO.  The only problem is that I have several books on the kobo that I can't now convert to my nook.  

Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,781
Registered: ‎12-31-2009

Re: Nook no longer allowing Kobo books on the readers?


RODell wrote:

Hi,

I just wanted to comment on the question "Has anyone else had problems with KOBO lately?"  I have had nothing but problems with KOBO.  I have a KOBO Touch and started having issues with it after about 2 months.  It froze up on me and I could not access it.  I contacted KOBO about the issues and they first had to start a "ticket", then wanted me to answer a series of questions.  I answered them several times, but they claimed I left out details.  They refused to resolve the problems, which is why I bought a NOOK.  I no longer want to deal with KOBO.  The only problem is that I have several books on the kobo that I can't now convert to my nook.  


I buy books from Kobo all the time and have never run into a problem.  You do need to have Adobe Digital Editions installed and then you have to sideload the Kobo books to the Nook from within ADE.

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
Posts: 901
Registered: ‎08-30-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook no longer allowing Kobo books on the readers?

Kobo almost always has a 10%-50% off coupon for non-agency titles available somewhere--I'm on their email list and Karen at BooksOnTheKnob posts the current coupons.

 

As a result, I usually buy non-agency titles from Kobo.  I keep my non-agency wish list at Kobo and whittle it down each time a good coupon appears.  (Non-agency coupon purchases have no added tax either!)

 

The grey, generic covers used to bother me, but I have convinced myself they are chic.  Remember when the big thing in interior decorating was to wrap your books in cream paper covers?  Then put the books on shelves with objets d'art  and even stack a few on tables to create a cool, sophisticated look--everything clean and blanaced?  Well, the grey covers kind of have that same effect.  :smileylol: