Contributor
joseph-d
0 Kudos

O'Reilly books unreliable on nook

I've downloaded several samples of O'Reilly technical books

The following samples when opened result in the message "Sorry, unable to open this book"

Ubuntu by Robin Nixon

Learning PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript by Robin Nixon

PHP by Peter MacIntyre

However other Book samples from the same publisher open fine and are wonderfully designed for use on the nook

PHP Cookbook By Adam Trachtenberg and David Skylar 

Learning PHP 5 by David Skylar

I'm currently running the nook's 1.4.0 software

I've removed and re-placed the samples from my account so either the samples are corrupted or the books are not nook compatible

Has anyone had similar problems with O'Reilly Books on the nook?

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: O'Reilly books unreliable on nook

joseph-d wrote:

I've downloaded several samples of O'Reilly technical books

The following samples when opened result in the message "Sorry, unable to open this book"

Ubuntu by Robin Nixon

Learning PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript by Robin Nixon

PHP by Peter MacIntyre

However other Book samples from the same publisher open fine and are wonderfully designed for use on the nook

PHP Cookbook By Adam Trachtenberg and David Skylar 

Learning PHP 5 by David Skylar

I'm currently running the nook's 1.4.0 software

I've removed and re-placed the samples from my account so either the samples are corrupted or the books are not nook compatible

Has anyone had similar problems with O'Reilly Books on the nook?

I've got a couple of O'Reilly books on my Nook and haven't had any problems.  But I didn't buy any of them from B&N and bought them directly from O'Reilly.  It could just be problems with the samples.  I don't see where you can download a sample directly from O'Reilly though, although I did notice they have a buy 2 get 1 free offer going.

Contributor
joseph-d
0 Kudos

I'm not willing to spend money on ebooks without downloading a sample first. In the past some technical books have had character errors like a '?' where an arrow should be or rendering problems due to the ebook containing columns that can't render properly or poorly generated example images.

Of the samples that do work the O'Reilly books are great and I'm likely going to purchase 

Learning PHP 5. The sample included the entire first chapter

I may just buy it directly from O'Reilly

Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya
0 Kudos

Strange. I have a couple of them too but they're not too technical. I did try the free sample of Ubuntu but I get the same error you did. So, there's just something wrong with the samples. I even tried opening the sample with a viewer on my PC - wouldn't open. I would let B&N know about these corrupted samples if I were you - they might actually fix them.

In general though, I would be very careful about getting technical ebooks - I've never had a good experience with them. You're doing the right thing by insisting on viewing the samples first. I've found that most tech ebooks (with equations, code or other special characters) are ony viewable in pdf and when publishers convert them to epub or mobi, they either don't check it at all or do a very poor job or checking the conversion.

The cake is a lie.
New User
Jim_Lewis
0 Kudos

I have had the same experience. Downloaded the ePub versions of Outlook 2010 Inside/Out, Excel 2010 Inside/Out, Word 2010 Inside/Out. These eBooks from O'Reilly published by Microsoft Press are rich in illustrations, side bars, text boxes, etc. After a period of time highlighting and note taking, my Nook hangs. After hanging on an O'Reilly book, the Nook functions very poorly, if at all. Even reading a B&N publication is tough. If I persist resetting the device, plug into into A/C power, the problem goes away only to return if I go back to reading one of the O'Reilly epubs. Barnes and Noble support response was "Sorry. We only support B&N publications and the ACE library lending program with Adobe." The other killer experience is to find that there is no way to get non-B&N notes off the device! What sheer stupidity. The Nook Simple Touch is a great piece of hardware but killed by stupid software. The device comes with no information as to what the limits on highlighting and notetaking are. I guess you have to find out by crashing into those limits. No information on reset options or ways to clear the device (or prevent clearing). My Nook has reimaged itself several times when it was so messed up it wouldn't even soft reset from hanging on an O'Reilly book. What controls that? How to prevent it? No info from good ol' B&N, the "lite" reading folks.