Reader
ItsDaniLyn
0 Kudos

Pre-Order Book

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone could clarify to me why the new Septimus Heap book "Fyre" is being sold pre-order for Nook at 10.99 but it is only 9.78 for the Kindle edition. As a brand new release you would think they would be the same price. Just curious. Thanks in advance anyone!

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015

E-book pricing

[ Edited ]

Except for e-books from Random House, Penguin, and Smashwords, booksellers can price e-books however they want, and to change those prices whenever they want. B&N chose to price this one initially at $10.99, which probably is the publisher's recommended price. Amazon chose to price it lower.

Amazon is more concerned with trying to drive other e-book sellers out of business while B&N is more concerned with trying to make enough money to survive. Amazon can make up their e-book losses on sales of TV sets and cameras; B&N can't.

It looks like B&N may be experimenting with intertemporal price discrimination — charging higher prices to those who want the e-book now, and then lowering the price later as sales drop off. You'll probably see B&N's price drop a couple of weeks after the e-book is released.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: E-book pricing

Doug_Pardee wrote:

It looks like B&N may be experimenting with intertemporal price discrimination — charging higher prices to those who want the e-book now, and then lowering the price later as sales drop off. You'll probably see B&N's price drop a couple of weeks after the e-book is released.

I remember the days when B&N gave a discount on pre-ordered ebooks.  Clearly times have changed.

Scribe
frantastk

The last few new releases I've followed at B&N started higher pre-release. They seem to follow this cycle: B&N lists them at the publishers recommended price until either right before or day of release and then the price is lowered. In one instance the price wasn't lowered until the book had been out a week or so. The others dropped in price the day of release. I don't usually pre-order ebooks. I usually put them on my wishlist and order them the day of release (if it's a book I must. read. now., otherwise I just buy it when I'm ready to read it.)

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

frantastk wrote:

I don't usually pre-order ebooks. I usually put them on my wishlist and order them the day of release (if it's a book I must. read. now., otherwise I just buy it when I'm ready to read it.)

This is what I do also  Given all the troubles I've had with pre-ordered books - book not downloading on release day, pre-order banner not going away, etc. - I just mark my calendar for the books I really want to read and buy them when they release.

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

frantastk wrote:

I don't usually pre-order ebooks. I usually put them on my wishlist and order them the day of release (if it's a book I must. read. now., otherwise I just buy it when I'm ready to read it.)

This is what I do also  Given all the troubles I've had with pre-ordered books - book not downloading on release day, pre-order banner not going away, etc. - I just mark my calendar for the books I really want to read and buy them when they release.

The last time I pre-ordered a book because I was afraid I'd forget when it came out and I'd been anxiously awaiting the release all year. I didn't even get around to reading it for 2 months. So now I don't bother with the preorders, even though I've never personally had any other issues with them.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

The only time I preorder an eBook is if it's on sale.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716