Bibliophile
bklvr896
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

Re: Price of Books

BooksOnTheKnob wrote:

Our local Books-a-Million is doing just this - bring in any working ereader and they'll buy it (they are also buying used books).  No idea what they are going to do with any of them.

Since they sell the nook there, you can then take that money and buy a nook, essentially trading in (too bad they stopped selling Kobo readers - I'd love to see the new Aura HD and see if the larger screen is worth an upgrade).

IMO theres a pretty big difference between selling something and then using the money to buy something else and what the OP is talking about.  Books-a-Million is likely making $$ on the deal.

Right now, any consumer can go and sell used books and use the money they get to buy ebooks.  The difference is that unless you've got collectibles, you're going to have to sell 3+ used books to buy one ebook.  The OP is talking about a 1-to-1 trade, which is not in any way a fair deal to the bookstore.

Correspondent
BooksOnTheKnob
0 Kudos

Not really.

I would expect B&N to make money on a deal that was a 'trade-in', as they sell the refurb'd units on their ebay site.

I didn't check if BAM was giving cash or a certificate only good in the store, but if I take in an old Nook and get a discount on buying a new Nook HD+, there is little difference in how they word it (other than I could have just ran with the cash or went to the coffee shop and spent it, while a "trade-in" would have been more limiting).

In either case, I expect the company to come out ahead on that trade-in, by selling it off to someone (or at least taking a charity deduction on it, by donating to some other cause).

As for ebooks at BAM - well, that's just a mess there (their online and B&M stores are entirely divorced from each other and pricing seldom matches). Anything you buy there is side-loaded, of course, but is device independent (so works on the very old Sony you bought there, the slightly newer Kobo they then sold in some stores, including our local one, and now the Nook devices they are selling and for which they apparently get a small cut of ebook sales via B&N's store for as long as you own the device).

Karen
Books on the Knob
http://blog.booksontheknob.org
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Karen - the OP was suggesting bringing in a used book and exchanging it for the ebook version of the same book.