Reply
Frequent Contributor
duzit
Posts: 26
Registered: ‎11-23-2010
0 Kudos

Pricing??

The book 'Feathers' is listed as a book of interest on the first screen of the B&N site.

The hardcopy is $14.29, free shipping w/$25 order, or pick-up in store. 

The NookBook is $25.99. I do not see that owning a $259 NC saves any money for on purchasing eBooks. eBooks don't require paper, printing, shipping, etc. eBooks should be cheaper than the hardcopies. Any thoughts???

~ You say WICKED like it's a bad thing ~

Wordsmith
Tim40744
Posts: 536
Registered: ‎07-07-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Pricing??


duzit wrote:

The book 'Feathers' is listed as a book of interest on the first screen of the B&N site.

The hardcopy is $14.29, free shipping w/$25 order, or pick-up in store. 

The NookBook is $25.99. I do not see that owning a $259 NC saves any money for on purchasing eBooks. eBooks don't require paper, printing, shipping, etc. eBooks should be cheaper than the hardcopies. Any thoughts???


Sony has it for $14.29 or if your NC is rooted and you have K for Android, it's $12.86 there.

Frequent Contributor
edhoel
Posts: 55
Registered: ‎09-16-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Pricing??

I find it to be ridiculous when nookbooks are more expensive that paperbacks:smileymad: For those books I will wait for the blood-sucking publishers to lower the price.

AlanNJ
Posts: 3,722
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Pricing??


Tim40744 wrote:

duzit wrote:

The book 'Feathers' is listed as a book of interest on the first screen of the B&N site.

The hardcopy is $14.29, free shipping w/$25 order, or pick-up in store. 

The NookBook is $25.99. I do not see that owning a $259 NC saves any money for on purchasing eBooks. eBooks don't require paper, printing, shipping, etc. eBooks should be cheaper than the hardcopies. Any thoughts???


Sony has it for $14.29 or if your NC is rooted and you have K for Android, it's $12.86 there.


Sony books can be read on the Nook without rooting.  I "believe" you just have to load the books through Adobe Digital Editions after downloading them.  There are a number of threads with instructions on how to do it.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Wordsmith
Tim40744
Posts: 536
Registered: ‎07-07-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Pricing??


AlanNJ wrote:

Tim40744 wrote:

duzit wrote:

The book 'Feathers' is listed as a book of interest on the first screen of the B&N site.

The hardcopy is $14.29, free shipping w/$25 order, or pick-up in store. 

The NookBook is $25.99. I do not see that owning a $259 NC saves any money for on purchasing eBooks. eBooks don't require paper, printing, shipping, etc. eBooks should be cheaper than the hardcopies. Any thoughts???


Sony has it for $14.29 or if your NC is rooted and you have K for Android, it's $12.86 there.


Sony books can be read on the Nook without rooting.  I "believe" you just have to load the books through Adobe Digital Editions after downloading them.  There are a number of threads with instructions on how to do it.


Very sorry, my post was extremely unclear. Sony has the book for $14.29 and if the OP has a rooted NOOK Color with Kindle for Android loaded, the book is $12.86 at Amazon. Doug has an excellent primer on loading Sony books here: 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/eBook-Discussion/Sony-e-book-gift-cards-discounted-at-Target-...

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy
Posts: 514
Registered: ‎03-21-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Pricing??

B&N and the publishers charge what they do for ebooks because they can.  If noone paid these prices, and that means absolutely noone, then the prices would come down.  However, people just "have to have" certain tiles from certain authors.  B&N and the publishers know this and milks every last dollar that they can from the public.  Until something changes, the advantage to purchasing an ereader is the form factor and not to save money on books, unless all that you want to read is from mostly new and unknown authors.

Correspondent
Wrking21
Posts: 92
Registered: ‎06-08-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Pricing??

I know it stinks. However; I see this same post over and over. It is what it is. Either your willing to pay or not. Either way I really wish people would stop complaining about the same issues on the board. It sucks we all know that. However; you can side load anything you want on to your nook if the book is cheaper somewhere else buy it somewhere else. Thats how B&N will get the message that because your a Nook owner doesn't mean you have to be a B&N book buyer. Put your actions where they count "in someone elses pocket!"

Correspondent
Anthony1970
Posts: 259
Registered: ‎09-07-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Pricing??


duzit wrote:

 I do not see that owning a $259 NC saves any money for on purchasing eBooks. eBooks don't require paper, printing, shipping, etc. eBooks should be cheaper than the hardcopies. Any thoughts???


Well its never been said that the reason to own an ereader is to get books cheaper. Thats not the reason why you are supposed to get one. If anything its for the space saving convienence. They are going to price them at what people are willing to pay. If you can justify paying over $200 for a device to read books on you should be able to justify paying for ebooks what you would for paper books. If not just stick with paper.
Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,800
Registered: ‎12-31-2009

Re: Pricing??


duzit wrote:

The book 'Feathers' is listed as a book of interest on the first screen of the B&N site.

The hardcopy is $14.29, free shipping w/$25 order, or pick-up in store. 

The NookBook is $25.99. I do not see that owning a $259 NC saves any money for on purchasing eBooks. eBooks don't require paper, printing, shipping, etc. eBooks should be cheaper than the hardcopies. Any thoughts???


There are many, many, many discussions on these forums about pricing.  If you're interested you can search pricing, agency model etc, and read what has been previously discussed.  But the research many of us have done has shown that the major cost in producing a book isn't the paper, printing, shipping etc, (it's been reported at about 12.5% of the cost) it's in the costs you can't readily see, such as editing, marketing, author royalties, overheads, etc, that go into producing a book and those costs have to be born by the ebooks as well as the printed books.  Not to mention some of the costs for printing and distributing a printed book are offset by the costs associated with distributing ebooks, which include software to convert the books, servers to store the books, space to house the servers, software to allow you download the books, software to protect the servers from malicious people and the people needed to keep those servers up and running so you can download a book whenever you want. 

Frequent Contributor
kevinrs
Posts: 27
Registered: ‎12-30-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Pricing??


bklvr896 wrote:

duzit wrote:

The book 'Feathers' is listed as a book of interest on the first screen of the B&N site.

The hardcopy is $14.29, free shipping w/$25 order, or pick-up in store. 

The NookBook is $25.99. I do not see that owning a $259 NC saves any money for on purchasing eBooks. eBooks don't require paper, printing, shipping, etc. eBooks should be cheaper than the hardcopies. Any thoughts???


There are many, many, many discussions on these forums about pricing.  If you're interested you can search pricing, agency model etc, and read what has been previously discussed.  But the research many of us have done has shown that the major cost in producing a book isn't the paper, printing, shipping etc, (it's been reported at about 12.5% of the cost) it's in the costs you can't readily see, such as editing, marketing, author royalties, overheads, etc, that go into producing a book and those costs have to be born by the ebooks as well as the printed books.  Not to mention some of the costs for printing and distributing a printed book are offset by the costs associated with distributing ebooks, which include software to convert the books, servers to store the books, space to house the servers, software to allow you download the books, software to protect the servers from malicious people and the people needed to keep those servers up and running so you can download a book whenever you want. 


 While this argument may be partially valid, additional paper books sold have near the same materials, printing costs, shipping costs etc per book. Additional ebooks cost the publisher nearly nothing to sell. Also, the issue was with the ebook price being 182% of the hardcover book price, not that the nook copy wasn't cheaper, but the nook copy is drastically more. I also do wonder if publisher's accounting has ever been audited. Authors often find it hard to get any money from books, as the publishers claim to have made no money. If the publishers can sell out of a book and claim a loss, they should be bankrupt. What I'm wondering specifically is if costs that are actually reduced by printing, promoting, distributing many different books are billed as if each book was done seperately, netting a hidden profit.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,800
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Pricing??


kevinrs wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

duzit wrote:

The book 'Feathers' is listed as a book of interest on the first screen of the B&N site.

The hardcopy is $14.29, free shipping w/$25 order, or pick-up in store. 

The NookBook is $25.99. I do not see that owning a $259 NC saves any money for on purchasing eBooks. eBooks don't require paper, printing, shipping, etc. eBooks should be cheaper than the hardcopies. Any thoughts???


There are many, many, many discussions on these forums about pricing.  If you're interested you can search pricing, agency model etc, and read what has been previously discussed.  But the research many of us have done has shown that the major cost in producing a book isn't the paper, printing, shipping etc, (it's been reported at about 12.5% of the cost) it's in the costs you can't readily see, such as editing, marketing, author royalties, overheads, etc, that go into producing a book and those costs have to be born by the ebooks as well as the printed books.  Not to mention some of the costs for printing and distributing a printed book are offset by the costs associated with distributing ebooks, which include software to convert the books, servers to store the books, space to house the servers, software to allow you download the books, software to protect the servers from malicious people and the people needed to keep those servers up and running so you can download a book whenever you want. 


 While this argument may be partially valid, additional paper books sold have near the same materials, printing costs, shipping costs etc per book. Additional ebooks cost the publisher nearly nothing to sell. Also, the issue was with the ebook price being 182% of the hardcover book price, not that the nook copy wasn't cheaper, but the nook copy is drastically more. I also do wonder if publisher's accounting has ever been audited. Authors often find it hard to get any money from books, as the publishers claim to have made no money. If the publishers can sell out of a book and claim a loss, they should be bankrupt. What I'm wondering specifically is if costs that are actually reduced by printing, promoting, distributing many different books are billed as if each book was done seperately, netting a hidden profit.


The costs associated with selling the ebook, the servers, etc, have to be spread across all the books sold, these are recurring costs for eBooks, they're not just one time costs.  Indirect costs have to be spread across all product sold.  But the other factor is that cost is not the driving factor in price.  Price is set by what the market will bear.  Who knows why B&N choose to price this particular book this way, I'm not saying their are anomolies, but the idea that the eBook should cost less because distribution costs are less isn't necessarily a valid argument. 

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
Posts: 813
Registered: ‎12-06-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Pricing??

The irony of all this is that nowadays, the new books are electronic first, then printed.  Not so the "classics"; they must be scanned, whatever.

Freedom is not free.
Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
Posts: 1,617
Registered: ‎10-21-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Pricing??


gb18 wrote:

The irony of all this is that nowadays, the new books are electronic first, then printed.  Not so the "classics"; they must be scanned, whatever.


Yes, they are in some electronic form first, but that doesn't mean they are ready to read on the NOOK (or your device of choice). There are many differences among a word processing file, a simple pdf file, the markup file that a printer may use to print a DTB, and the various eBook formats.

 

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,549
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Pricing??


Anthony1970 wrote:

duzit wrote:

 I do not see that owning a $259 NC saves any money for on purchasing eBooks. eBooks don't require paper, printing, shipping, etc. eBooks should be cheaper than the hardcopies. Any thoughts???


Well its never been said that the reason to own an ereader is to get books cheaper. Thats not the reason why you are supposed to get one. If anything its for the space saving convienence. They are going to price them at what people are willing to pay. If you can justify paying over $200 for a device to read books on you should be able to justify paying for ebooks what you would for paper books. If not just stick with paper.


Anthony1970 wrote:

duzit wrote:

 I do not see that owning a $259 NC saves any money for on purchasing eBooks. eBooks don't require paper, printing, shipping, etc. eBooks should be cheaper than the hardcopies. Any thoughts???


Well its never been said that the reason to own an ereader is to get books cheaper. Thats not the reason why you are supposed to get one. If anything its for the space saving convienence. They are going to price them at what people are willing to pay. If you can justify paying over $200 for a device to read books on you should be able to justify paying for ebooks what you would for paper books. If not just stick with paper.

Before the Agency Model, getting books cheaper was one of the reasons people bought ereaders.  Not all people, but a lot of people.  It was one of the ways I justified the cost of the N1E (I ordered mine in Dec 2009).  Ebooks used to be cheaper because Amazon sold them at a loss and B&N followed suit.  The problem is, a lot of people still think this and don't do their homework before spending the money on the device.  For those people, I suggest looking into your local library or the library in Philly, which sells memberships to out-of-state residents.