New User
livingenzyme
0 Kudos

Question about nook with vietnamese language

[ Edited ]

I've been using the ectaco jetbook lite.  It displays the vietnamese characters quite nicely.  You can look at some pictures at my website.

http://livingenzyme.webs.com/vietnameseebooks.htm

Can the nook display these characters correctly as well?

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: Question about nook with vietnamese language

@lingenzymy,

NOOK only supports the Latin based alphabet/character set in text.  However, NOOK will display other languages, like Vietnamese, if it is a PDF document and the text is actually an image and does not need to be rendered with NOOK’s built-in fonts.  In this way, any foreign language can be displayed on NOOK, however, a user will not be able to change the font style or the font size.

If the Vietnamese language document is an ePub, PDB, or PDF (where the text is not saved as an image) then, no, NOOK will not support the Vietnamese alphabet.

I hope this helps.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Frequent Contributor
Unburnt
0 Kudos

A clarification of what Michael-V said: You CAN change the font size in a pdf, in a fashion. It just zooms in on the image and is not a true resizing of the text. But it will make the text bigger.

New User
livingenzyme
0 Kudos

Thanks for your answer.  I have been researching trying to find an ebook reader that is suitable for the Vietnamese community.  For now, it seems that the ectaco jetbook lite is the only product that supports unicode font.  I suppose I could embed the font into epub.  It's a hassle, though. 

By the way, PDF doesn't count.  It is about the worst format for ebook readers.

New User
livingenzyme
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I changed the address from the first post.  The new url is

http://livingenzyme.webs.com/vietnameseebooks.htm

PS - can a moderator change the url in the first post?

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@livingenzyme,

Done.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Frequent Contributor
karlpov
0 Kudos

It should be noted that Vietnamese does, in fact, use a Latin character set. The problem is that the Nook uses a relatively limited Latin character set which does not extend to Vietnamese, which probably takes the record for use of diacritical marks. It does not even extend to the twelve (including both cases) special characters of Esperanto. The Kindle is apparently far superior in this aspect.

New User
Ddakao
0 Kudos

It's 2013! I just got 2 NOOK HD+ and disappointed to find out that I can't read my Vietnamese eBook collection due to the limited font selection that came with NOOK. is this possible to add font settings so that we can enjoy the NOOK and our VN book collection???? Thanks

PS - it seems this problem had been addressed several time over the past 3 years and not yet resolved I'm just curious why is it so hard to add more font setting so that more people can use the NOOK!
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Ddakao wrote:
It's 2013! I just got 2 NOOK HD+ and disappointed to find out that I can't read my Vietnamese eBook collection due to the limited font selection that came with NOOK. is this possible to add font settings so that we can enjoy the NOOK and our VN book collection???? Thanks

PS - it seems this problem had been addressed several time over the past 3 years and not yet resolved I'm just curious why is it so hard to add more font setting so that more people can use the NOOK!

Possibly because the Nook uses Adobe reader technology and may have limited ability for customization and Adobe would have to adapt the software.  Just a guess.