Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005

Random samples: browsing for something new to read

Via Dear Author and The Digital Reader...

If you're looking for a new e-book to read, but don't have anything specific in mind, try out No Names, No Jackets. This site offers a selected chapter from various e-books, without any author or title information. First you're presented with the first dozen lines of a bunch of choices, and you can select one to keep reading the chapter. If you like the chapter, there's a link at the bottom of the page that'll take you to a page that says who the author is, what the title is, and has links to places, including B&N, where you can get it.

You also can pop over to their archives to see the first half-dozen lines — but without formatting and without any indication of genre — for each title submitted in a month.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

Re: Random samples: browsing for something new to read

“It was a dark and stormy night. Suddenly, a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly, a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.”

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Re: Random samples: browsing for something new to read

Well that was frustrating.

I read a bunch of opening lines, came across one that looked interesting, and clicked the link top read the remainder of the sample.

After reading the rest of the sample, I clicked the link to find the title and author, and the site told me it couldn't find it.