Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013

Ray Bradbury e-books on their way

Sci-fi/fantasy author Ray Bradbury hated e-books with a fiery passion. During his lifetime, only Fahrenheit 451 was published as an e-book. Now that he's been gone for almost a year, a number of his titles will become available as e-books over the next few weeks.

The following list is from Publishers Weekly:

April 16:

April 23:

April 30:

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Re: Ray Bradbury e-books on their way

Excellent news.  I continue to find it hilarious that so many SF visionaries were Luddites in some areas.

Distinguished Correspondent
javabird
0 Kudos

Fantastic news.
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Woohoo!!

I hope BRADBURY STORIES is released in ebook.  I have the paperback, but it's way to unwieldy to carry with me, so I've only read a handful of the stories in it.

RHWright
0 Kudos

I just did a little happy dance!
keriflur
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957 wrote:

Excellent news.  I continue to find it hilarious that so many SF visionaries were Luddites in some areas.

I wonder sometimes if it isn't so much a dislike for the e-format as it is a fear of the traditional book going away completely.

I've noticed sometimes people have a fear that if their whole life is digital, there won't be anything left when they're gone - no box of photographs in the attic for the great-grandkids to find, no records to hand down, etc.  For an author, the idea that his lifetime of work would just fade away into non-existance without physical copies to be discovered by the next generation of readers is kind of terrifyingly sad.

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

MacMcK1957 wrote:

I wonder sometimes if it isn't so much a dislike for the e-format as it is a fear of the traditional book going away completely.

I've noticed sometimes people have a fear that if their whole life is digital, there won't be anything left when they're gone - no box of photographs in the attic for the great-grandkids to find, no records to hand down, etc.  For an author, the idea that his lifetime of work would just fade away into non-existance without physical copies to be discovered by the next generation of readers is kind of terrifyingly sad.

And yet, look at his most famous work, and its resolution.  Books are preserved in no physical form at all, just memory.

keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Heh. I would not want any of the endings of my books to come true. :smileysurprised:

That said, I haven't yet read Fahrenheit 451 - I expect to this year at some point.

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Heh. I would not want any of the endings of my books to come true. :smileysurprised:

That said, I haven't yet read Fahrenheit 451 - I expect to this year at some point.

I haven't read it since the Nixon administration, but I have seen the movie a few times more recently.

Frequent Contributor
Irishelf
0 Kudos

No Martian Chronicles?