Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

Recommendations Requested

I don't see a lot of posts like this on here, so I hope this isn't something bad to come on here and ask about, but I am in need of a bit of help.

I have posted on the Nook General page how my Uncle (approx. age 65-67, not eactly sure) had a stroke and as such now has partial use of his right hand.  Anyway, he is someone who LOVES reading, and due to his issues now we as a family thought an ereader would be a GREAT idea since he can "turn" the pages with his left hand, he doesn't have to use both hands to keep the book open etc.  He is also in a rehab facility with basically nothing to do most of the time.  btw he pretty much hates tv, or if he watches it, it is minimal at best.

anyway - sorry, I am getting to my question.  We did get him a Nook and it is now time to load him up with some books initially. 

Now my question - anyone have recommendations on good books in the genres he would like.  He is a HUGE history buff.  Also big on Civil War, Lincoln, that kind of stuff.  also the Titanic.  that type of non fiction, history based stuff.  OR it could be fiction but with a flavor of that.  NO adult hanky panky either, he would die to have a book with anything too suggestive in it (kind of religious)

Anyone have some killer ideas on can't miss books under those headings?  and (of course...) any good bargin ones? 

I can't wait to go Sat with the family and deliver to him his new spiffy eReader loaded with 8-10 books.  we are also loading a few gift cards as well on the thing, so he should be good to go for awhile

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ

Re: Recommendations Requested

RSC_Nook, I commend you for your generosity regarding giving your Uncle a Nook this coming Saturday.  Also, you are going that extra mile to download some favorite books for him along with some gift cards.  Oh, you will make your Uncle so happy this coming Saturday. :smileyhappy: His Nook will be his new best friend at the Rehab facility.  RSC_Nook, I don't have any recommendations for you, however, when you visit the Barnes and Noble Home Page and scroll down to the left, you will see a column marked:  Subjects.  There is a History category, so, I'm sure you  can find some interesting Civil War books to buy for your Uncle. 

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat

So glad this has worked out!

Hit that History link under NOOKbooks on the B&N website, there is just a ton of stuff and most of it is 99-cents. Here's just a quick sample fromt he first 2 pages of the website:

The Federalist Papers by Alexander Hamilton (0.99)
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens (0.99)
Mussolini's Rome by Borden Painter (free)
The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin (0.99)
The Writings of Abraham Lincoln (0.89)
Colonel Roosevelt by Edmund Morris (9.99) [I've read this, very good]
Common Sense by Thomas Paine (0.99)

You can find the Zane Grey classic westerns for free. Try Google books. As always, the Gutenberg Project has a lot of older material.

You'll have a lot more than 8-10 books in no time! Good luck and wish your uncle happy reading for us and a speedy recovery.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Correspondent
Arctic_Ranger

A good biography I've been making my way through is :

Bonhoeffer 

A few other that I have on my wishlist:

The Cajuns 

Kid Carolina  

and if he is into Civil War stuff Jefferson Davis' Hostory of the Confederate States of America is available for free.

Correspondent
LSCB

Barbara Tuchman's The Guns of August. Won the Pulitzer Prize. Great writer and historian.

LSCB
Correspondent
Arctic_Ranger

Correction-The Rise and Fall of the Confederate Government is $0.99.

I thought of a few others as well.

The Sisters of Sinai 

and pretty much anything by Thomas Cahill

How the Irish Saved Civilization 

Mysteries of the Middle Ages  

Frequent Contributor
Aggie92

These are an excellent Civil War trilogy...

Gods and Generals  

Killer Angels  

Last Full Measure

Inspired Contributor
the_incognito

[ Edited ]

RSC_Nook wrote:

Now my question - anyone have recommendations on good books in the genres he would like.  He is a HUGE history buff.  Also big on Civil War, Lincoln, that kind of stuff.  also the Titanic.  that type of non fiction, history based stuff.  OR it could be fiction but with a flavor of that.  NO adult hanky panky either, he would die to have a book with anything too suggestive in it (kind of religious)

A friend of mine highly recommended this book by John Jakes (author of North and South).  It is set during the Civil War and follows four Americans up through Lincoln's assassination and John Wilkes Booth's murder.  If you read the description, it looks like something your uncle would enjoy.

On Secret Service

Contributor
jillybean0617

You can try www.inkmesh.com. You can search by any subject you want and it will show you where the books are available and how much they cost at each store. I have a cousin who is really into history and she was really excited about some of the stuff she found there.

Its such a wonderful thing that your family is doing for your uncle.

Good luck.

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger

Here are three I've recently purchased.  I haven't read any of them yet, so I'm not sure they are reliable recommendations.   They are all  "current," mainstream titles.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks 

Her name was Henrietta Lacks, but scientists know her as HeLa. She was a poor Southern tobacco farmer who worked the same land as her slave ancestors, yet her cells—taken without her knowledge—became one of the most important tools in medicine. The first "immortal" human cells grown in culture, they are still alive today, though she has been dead for more than sixty years. If you could pile all HeLa cells ever grown onto a scale, they'd weigh more than 50 million metric tons—as much as a hundred Empire State Buildings. HeLa cells were vital for developing the polio vaccine; uncovered secrets of cancer, viruses, and the atom bomb's effects; helped lead to important advances like in vitro fertilization, cloning, and gene mapping; and have been bought and sold by the billions.

Yet Henrietta Lacks remains virtually unknown, buried in an unmarked grave.

Now Rebecca Skloot takes us on an extraordinary journey, from the "colored" ward of Johns Hopkins Hospital in the 1950s . . . .

Unbroken 

On a May afternoon in 1943, an Army Air Forces bomber crashed into the Pacific Ocean and disappeared, leaving only a spray of debris and a slick of oil, gasoline, and blood.  Then, on the ocean surface, a face appeared.  It was that of a young lieutenant, the plane’s bombardier, who was struggling to a life raft and pulling himself aboard.  So began one of the most extraordinary odysseys of the Second World War.

The lieutenant’s name was Louis Zamperini.  In boyhood. . . .

Parrot and Olivier in America  Two-time Booker Prize-winner Peter Carey’s latest feat of imagination is an irrepressible, audacious, and trenchantly funny novel set mostly in nineteenth-century America.

Olivier—an improvisation on the life of Alexis de Tocqueville—is an aristocrat born just after the French Revolution. Parrot is the motherless son of an itinerant English engraver. Their lives are joined when Olivier sets sail for the New World to save his neck from one more revolution and Parrot is sent with him as spy, protector, foe, and foil. . . . .

Inspired Contributor
ivondale

I thought this was an interesting book. True story of an English spy operation in WWII.

Operation Mincemeat 

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

wow, those all look awesome.  and I know you say it is a nice thng I am doing for him, but honestly I am finding it pretty fun myself.  I love my nook and excited to give him one.  lets say it didn't take me long to volunteer to help with this when the idea came up a few weeks ago.

Reader 4
PATH55

I too recommend "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand. It is an exciting WW2 story that I couldn't put down. Also, the story of a courageous man that survived despite incredible odds may be just what your uncle would like to read at this time in his life. Best wishes to him with his rehab.
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree

[ Edited ]

@RSC_Nook

This one is a little pricey, but it's one of the wittiest, most entertaining and most informative histories I've read in a long time, and about a fascinating period that we think we know, but in fact have forgotten:

Last Call

This is a great, kind idea that you and your family have had.  Kudos to you, and best wishes to your uncle.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Distinguished Correspondent
Beth_DeEtt

I am midway through this wonderful personal account of merchant sailing in the 1830's.  The author, who left Harvard and took to the sea after measles damaged his eyesight, returned to college after his voyage and, as an attorney, dedicated himself to promoting the legal rights of sailors.

Two Years Before the Mast (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook

Well this has officially gone from being a bunch of books my Uncle would like to now a mini wish list for me too. :smileytongue:

Wordsmith
Tweedledee

[ Edited ]

More for both lists :smileyhappy:

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell
Distinguished Correspondent
Coanda-1910

Robert Cowley has compiled some superb historical counter-factual pieces into his What If? books.

World's Foremost Military Historians Imagine What Might Have Been  

What If? II  

What Ifs? Of American History