Sardonicus
0 Kudos

Re: Opinions are like nose hairs . . .

[ Edited ]

Patrick_Skelton wrote:

Sardonicus,

Glad you "tolerated" the story!

LOL

Mebbe I shoulda added "intriguing" to my comments.  The story kept me curious enough to finish it.  :smileyhappy:

Better?:smileyindifferent:

Really . . . I'm looking forward to considering your next one!

I wish you well.:smileyhappy:

The people who live in a golden age usually go around complaining how yellow everything looks.

- Randall Jarrell

Frequent Contributor
Patrick_Skelton
0 Kudos

Sardon,

Unfortionately, I've worn out my welcome here!  Several pissed off people posted some terrible reviews of the book. Did you post a review?  I need some help!  Like a 4 star review, perhaps? :smileyhappy: By the tone of the reviews, I can tell they didn't even read the story. They were just mad people from these forums wanting to stick it to me!

Oh well, such is the life an author.  But I'm definately done with the promotion on this forum. People are way, way too sensitive about it.  Even when I start forums with actual conversations, people are screaming about it. This forum is night and day from the Kindleboards, which is loaded with advertising that customer seem to accept.

I'm a nice guy, really! Time to lay low for a while..and I do appreciate your support! You rock!

Author of THE DEVICE A Suspense Novel

[url=http://www.patrickskelton.weebly.com]The Device [/url]
Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

I'd just like to know why your signature says it's $.99, but you're selling it on B&N for $2.99. You might want to update your signature.

And for the record, what is a little off-puttiing to me is that instead of just having a link in your signature you had at one point the link and photo of the book in every single post you made. It was seriously distracting me from what you were saying in the post. I wish you all the best in selling your book. Really. If I ever get a book written I'd like to actually get it published and I may try self-publishing myself. I haven't decided yet as I've been working on the same novel for about 15 years now. :smileyvery-happy: It has been reincarnated multiple times. 

Fran

Distinguished Correspondent
Coanda-1910

I think some people are reading too much Machiavellian plotting into his actions. He (a) wants to advertise his book, and (b) also wants to hear what people have to say on the actual topics he raised.

@Patrick_Skelton: You would almost certainly get fewer complaints over your signature if it more closely resembled some of the other author's signatures on these boards. pam_livingimage in my opinion provides an excellent example of self-advertisement that does not irritate me (to pull up a recent post as an example, here). It does two things that yours did not - first, it uses the underscores to create a line-break clearly separating the content of the post from the content of the signature. Second, it uses the text-only links to the books. It's your signature; do what you want with it. I'm just thinking that when most of the space in your post is taken up by advertisement, it's perhaps not surprising that most of the replies are talking about the advertisement as well.

Wordsmith
Sardonicus

[ Edited ]

Patrick_Skelton wrote:

Sardon,

Several pissed off people  . . . They were just mad people from these forums . . . People are way, way too sensitive about it.  . . . This forum is night and day from the Kindleboards  . . . 

As a dedicated Nookophile, I can't speak to the nature of "Kindleboards", but . . . I have noticed that some of those on these Nook boards that are "way, way too sensitive" are only selectively sensitive. 

To label them elitist control-freaks with proclivities toward cliquism is too harsh and maybe not entirely accurate, so I won't do that:smileywink: I am sure they are well-meaning [and can pave that proverbial path well], yet I see what I see.

Sure, it's true.  You could probably work on your presentation.   The successful performer knows that it's about the audience, not him/her.  I think you get that, now.

Still . . . This particular NookBoard audience can - at times - be terribly inconsistent. 

In example: They (some of them) will mournfully wail when newbies don't 'use the search function' to answer their legitimate questions because they are 'tired of hearing the same ol' questions over and over again!'    And heaven forbid someone dare ask a question about the NOOKcolor on the Nook message boards Ohhh, the humanity!!!:smileyvery-happy:

Also, be sure to Pity The Fool who dares say anything negative when having posted fewer than the number of posts allowed by protocol.:smileysurprised: 

All the while, other threads flourish - with nary a murmur of dissent - with OT topics such as 'Old Nook Proverbs', baseball, engagement announcements, et al.

Understand . . . There is NOTHING wrong with just-for-fun threads.  Not at all.  I just mention them to illustrate the inconsistency of the Hall Monitors' selective annoyance.

You think I'm kidding?:smileysurprised::smileyvery-happy:

I swear this is true:  A short time ago, there was a well-attended thread that was devoted to whining about people who whine!  WTH?  Apparently, they didn't want 'whiners' wasting precious board space that could be better used for . . .

. . . What HeckifIknow!:smileyindifferent::smileyvery-happy:

- whatever -

You just do yo' thang, Patrick.

Just do it wisely.:smileywink:

Good luck.:smileyhappy:

The people who live in a golden age usually go around complaining how yellow everything looks.

- Randall Jarrell

Frequent Contributor
Patrick_Skelton
0 Kudos

Sardonicus,

Thanks for being sympathetic.  At this point, I am pulling my novel from Barnes and Noble.  It just isn't working out for me here.  I suppose I dug my own grave, but good grief, the nasty reviews on my product page are embarrasing.  My family was asking me all about it tonight.  How embarrasing. I'm just a new author who went over-the-top with the ads...and now my name and book are completely trashed on the product page from people who didn't even read the story. I won't be able to sell a single copy now off Barnes and Noble.  Folks here just don't understand the irreversable damage they have caused to a struggling author trying to pay the bills with his new novel.  If I could take back all of the ads, I would. But I can't now.

Patrick

Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram

Isn't there a saying in the marketing world, something like; 'The only bad publicity is no publicity'?

A few people that may or may not have read the book wrote some bad reviews.  They could lose you a sale.  But removing the book for sale will definitely lose you sales.

One thing that is guaranteed is that someone will take a look at the eBook, I did.  I wasn't a fan of your advertising but I did click the link to take a look.

You mentioned the Kindle boards and the tolerance there of more blatant advertising.  I think the problem here was not getting a good read on these boards.  It's a common mistake people make online, I've done it.  I took my lumps and learned to lurk awhile before posting.  Everyone makes mistakes, the trick is to learn from those mistakes and move on a wiser person.

I've read and enjoyed a few of the independent offerings from authors who have posted here.  I hope you come back and try again (in a manner more friendly to these boards of course :smileywink:).

Good Luck to you.

Frequent Contributor
Patrick_Skelton
0 Kudos

Thanks Sygram!  Very kind of you! :smileyhappy:

I will return after the dust settles...

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

Re: Sale! $2.99 mystery/thriller THE DEVICE

Patrick -

Too bad you decided to pull it.  It was actually on my wish list to buy when I had finished some of my current reads.  Let me know if you decide to put it back on so that I can put it back on my list.

Tracy

Frequent Contributor
Patrick_Skelton
0 Kudos

Thanks for the nice words, all!  I'm discovering that there are some really great people here, despite the few bullies.  I would consider republishing my novel to Nook if there is enough interest in it. 

Who all would be interested in purchasing it?  I also need some help getting my review status back up to the 4 stars it was previously.

Thanks again for helping a real idiot redeem himself!

Patrick

Frequent Contributor
Patrick_Skelton
0 Kudos

THE DEVICE is back up....

I'm very nervous about this...but hoping to get some support!

Frequent Contributor
Patrick_Skelton
0 Kudos

fyi...might not be visible for purchase until tomorrow.

Again, thank you so much all for inviting me back to the forums...

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT

Still . . . This particular NookBoard audience can - at times - be terribly inconsistent. 

In example: They (some of them) will mournfully wail when newbies don't 'use the search function' to answer their legitimate questions because they are 'tired of hearing the same ol' questions over and over again!'    And heaven forbid someone dare ask a question about the NOOKcolor on the Nook message boards Ohhh, the humanity!!!:smileyvery-happy:

Also, be sure to Pity The Fool who dares say anything negative when having posted fewer than the number of posts allowed by protocol.:smileysurprised: 

All the whileother threads flourish - with nary a murmur of dissent - with OT topics such as 'Old Nook Proverbs', baseball, engagement announcements, et al.

Understand . . . There is NOTHING wrong with just-for-fun threads.  Not at all.  I just mention them to illustrate the inconsistency of the Hall Monitors' selective annoyance.

I swear this is true:  A short time ago, there was a well-attended thread that was devoted to whining about people who whine!  WTH?  Apparently, they didn't want 'whiners' wasting precious board space that could be better used for . . .

This is why for the most part I only log in to check the free books thread, now.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

avid_reader1590

Totally agree! 

geatdanemomDT wrote:

Still . . . This particular NookBoard audience can - at times - be terribly inconsistent. 

In example: They (some of them) will mournfully wail when newbies don't 'use the search function' to answer their legitimate questions because they are 'tired of hearing the same ol' questions over and over again!'    And heaven forbid someone dare ask a question about the NOOKcolor on the Nook message boards Ohhh, the humanity!!!:smileyvery-happy:

Also, be sure to Pity The Fool who dares say anything negative when having posted fewer than the number of posts allowed by protocol.:smileysurprised: 

All the whileother threads flourish - with nary a murmur of dissent - with OT topics such as 'Old Nook Proverbs', baseball, engagement announcements, et al.

Understand . . . There is NOTHING wrong with just-for-fun threads.  Not at all.  I just mention them to illustrate the inconsistency of the Hall Monitors' selective annoyance.

I swear this is true:  A short time ago, there was a well-attended thread that was devoted to whining about people who whine!  WTH?  Apparently, they didn't want 'whiners' wasting precious board space that could be better used for . . .

This is why for the most part I only log in to check the free books thread, now.

It is better to stir up a question without deciding it, than to decide it without stirring it up. ~Joseph Joubert

Frequent Contributor
Patrick_Skelton
0 Kudos

"It is better to stir up a question without deciding it, than to decide it without stirring it up. ~Joseph Joubert"

Great quote!

avid_reader1590
0 Kudos

Thanks!  Good luck with your book. :smileyhappy:

Patrick_Skelton wrote:

"It is better to stir up a question without deciding it, than to decide it without stirring it up. ~Joseph Joubert"

Great quote!

It is better to stir up a question without deciding it, than to decide it without stirring it up. ~Joseph Joubert