Frequent Contributor
AkilahR
0 Kudos

Scammers and Bottom Feeders: NOOKBooks Open for Business

[ Edited ]

I am shocked that B&N lets this by:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Grimm-Fairy-Stories/Grimm-Brothers/e/2940011897962/?itm=8

Basically anyone can do this to make money with no effort: go to http://www.gutenberg.org, download anything you can think of, then sell them on NOOKBooks. You will make some sales, because when you sort by release date your books come up first.

So "qasim idrees" is now able to put up out-of-copyright books downloaded for free from elsewhere and B&N is happy to direct customers to him. (For legal purposes I do not claim qasim is a scammer, I am merely pointing out that if he can publish anything he wants to download for free from other sources, then anyone, including scammers, can take advantage of the same lack of standards at this site.)

Proof that: a) B&N has NO STANDARDS, b) B&N does not care about its customers, c) NOOKBooks is a scammers paradise, and d) the door is wide open to bottom feeders.

B&N: have some self-respect and a minimum of standards and don't let my time on your site be wasted by this rubbish. Help me find good books, I already know where to get free out of copyright books.

P.S.: qasim's ISBN numbers are fake.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,874
0 Kudos

Re: Scammers and Bottom Feeders: NOOKBooks Open for Business

[ Edited ]

E: You know what, it isn't even worth it.

Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

It's perfectly legal to publish a new edition of a book that is in the public domain.  Do you refuse to buy paperback reprints of the book, too?  Do you only buy antiquarian copies or something?  Come on.  You're just picking, and you haven't chosen a very good example to make your point, either.  Go find one of the badly written PubIt books and use that to illustrate B&N's lack of standards, and I might actually agree with you.

Distinguished Correspondent
Whitecat5000

I agree.  It is irritating searching for new books and coming across this:

A Tale of Two Cities

A Tale of Two Cities

A Tale of Two Cities

Tale of Two Cities

A Tale of Two Cities

A Tale of Two Cities

A Tale of Two Cities

A Tale of Two Cities

A Tale of Two Cities

A Tale of Two Cities

Do we really need all these?  It's just clogging up the website and making searching for new books an unpleasant process.

Coanda-1910
0 Kudos

I guess it might help if people keep complaining, but I'm certain B&N knows about this problem already - it's been a running gripe on this board basically since 2 hours after PubIt! was debuted. It's irritating, it makes it even less practical to browse for books here. So go somewhere else, find your books, then come back and buy them here. (Unless it's cheaper there, I guess). That's what I've been doing, and I suspect that's what lots of other people are doing.

Frequent Contributor
AkilahR
0 Kudos

swan480 wrote:

It's perfectly legal to publish a new edition of a book that is in the public domain... and I might actually agree with you.

I'm not claiming any law is being violated, I am claiming that B&N is sacrificing it's customers and the usability of its boards so people can do things that -- while not illegal -- are in my opinion "bottom feeding."

Actually reading your reply, you do seem to agree with me, so I'm not sure what you are reacting to.

As for the response of going elsewhere to find books and come back, I'd only need to come back if the book was cheaper here.

I'm not sure why B&N would place the sleezy schemes of bottomfeeders ahead of its customers; lack of standards perhaps.

Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

AkilahR wrote:

Actually reading your reply, you do seem to agree with me, so I'm not sure what you are reacting to.

I don't see reprinting classics as the problem.  I agree that B&N's standards are concerning, but I like having a good selection of cheap classics.  It's the poorly written, too short, unedited "original" works that I want to get rid of.  :smileywink:

Frequent Contributor
AkilahR
0 Kudos

swan480 wrote:

AkilahR wrote:

I don't see reprinting classics as the problem.  I agree that B&N's standards are concerning, but I like having a good selection of cheap classics.  It's the poorly written, too short, unedited "original" works that I want to get rid of.  :smileywink:

If you want the classics, just get them free from the same place that these people do. Start with Gutenburg.

Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

AkilahR wrote:

If you want the classics, just get them free from the same place that these people do. Start with Gutenburg.

I read on my iPhone, so most of the free ones aren't formatted to look nice on that little screen.  I like having the option to spend a buck and get a nicely formatted version.

Frequent Contributor
AkilahR
0 Kudos

swan480 wrote:

I read on my iPhone, so most of the free ones aren't formatted to look nice on that little screen.  I like having the option to spend a buck and get a nicely formatted version.

I would recommend Calibre -- also free, and can reformat nearly anything to nearly anything.

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

AkilahR wrote:

Some people probably don't want to bother with (or don't know how to ) sideloading books.

Frequent Contributor
onemorrismom
0 Kudos

"Some people probably don't want to bother with (or don't know how to ) sideloading books."

Then they are missing out on some great options

Wordsmith
swan480

I'm not opposed to sideloading books, but I read on my iPhone, and the Nook app doesn't allow you to sideload like the Nook itself does.  B&N does provide free ebooks via Google Books, but the formatting usually sucks, and because they are scanned editions there are many errors in the text.

I can download PDF ebooks and read them with a PDF reader app, of course, but so far I haven't been able to find a good one for the iPhone.  In order to view the print in a readable size, you have to wrap the text, which eliminates paragraph breaks.  It looks like Calibre just reformats documents, say from PDF to a text file -- but again, I'd still need a reader that wouldn't eliminate paragraph breaks.  And, frankly, it's a pain in the patootie to have several different reader apps on my iPhone.  I'd prefer to pay a buck here and there than have to spend all this time and stress on reformatting and figuring out what readers work best.

New User
PublishedAuthorofFantasy
0 Kudos

Actually, this person (qasim) has crossed the line and has violated one known copyright.  He has Martha Well's novel ELEMENTS OF FIRE up and he does not have the authority because the book is copyrighted in Martha Well's name.  She had it on her website as a free download for a time when she got the rights back from her former publisher, and apparently "this publisher" assumes if it is free it is out of copyright.

Wrong.  I know Ms. Wells.  She is trying to find out who she can contact on B&N to have the book removed.

Qasim should be shut down for violating copyright.

Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

PublishedAuthorofFantasy wrote:

Actually, this person (qasim) has crossed the line and has violated one known copyright.  He has Martha Well's novel ELEMENTS OF FIRE up and he does not have the authority because the book is copyrighted in Martha Well's name.  She had it on her website as a free download for a time when she got the rights back from her former publisher, and apparently "this publisher" assumes if it is free it is out of copyright.

Wrong.  I know Ms. Wells.  She is trying to find out who she can contact on B&N to have the book removed.

Qasim should be shut down for violating copyright.

Now that is something I totally agree with.  Good point, and thanks for sharing -- I never would have found that violation on my own.  It always annoys me when people assume that everything they find on the Internet is free.

I wonder -- since there are so many PubIt books now, I wonder if it would make sense to make a "blacklist" thread for everyone's reference?  We could provide the publisher's or author's name, and why we're recommending that others blacklist them -- in this case, because of a serious copyright violation.  Would anyone be interested in this kind of thread?  Is it something we can even do under the forum terms of service?

Coanda-1910
0 Kudos

Technically, copying something from Gutenburg, stripping the license and other identifying info, then selling it is also a violation of their terms of service. Not that it's something I would expect to be easy to prove.

Wordsmith
Critteranne
0 Kudos

But they also say "A Project Gutenberg ebook is made out of two parts: the public domain book and the non public domain Project Gutenberg trademark and license. If you strip the Project Gutenberg license and all references to Project Gutenberg from the ebook, you are left with a public domain ebook. You can do anything you want with that." So it can be easy to get confused by their terms. Some of the rules in their terms seem to apply only if you keep the references to Project Gutenberg (TM) -- I guess they are worried about protecting the trademark.

Frequent Contributor
parKb5
0 Kudos

swan480 wrote:

I don't understand, isn't that the whole point of Pubit? So that non-published authors can offer up their own books for sale? I doubt that B&N created the concept of Pubit so that people can offer up cheaper version of the classics that B&N already offers. If you take out the "poorly written, too short, unedited originals" it makes the whole Pubit thing unessessary.
I've tried a few of the original works on Pubit and I've been pleasantly suprised by the quality of the stories. I've almost given up on the $10.00 + price of the "real" books and been reading the 99 cent Pubit books instead and I haven't been missing a thing.
Eden
My first ebook is up for sale for only $0.99!
New User
PublishedAuthorofFantasy
0 Kudos

And it would seem there are others that "qasim" has no right to.  "Peter Pan" copyright is owned by a British orphanage that Barrie willed the rights to.  They have it renewed under special situation because the money supports the orphanage.

Some of the Burroughs stuff is also under ownership of an "estate."  Estate copyrights last as long as there is someone to manage the estate.

"Qasim" apparently needs a lesson in copyright.

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

PublishedAuthorofFantasy wrote:

And it would seem there are others that "qasim" has no right to.  "Peter Pan" copyright is owned by a British orphanage that Barrie willed the rights to.  They have it renewed under special situation because the money supports the orphanage.

Really? I got Peter Pan off Gutenberg a couple years ago to do as a read-aloud with my kids.  

I just checked and Gutenberg has it listed as only for distribution in the US, with a note about there being a question of its copyright status in other countries, especially the UK. 

(By the way, not defending this person violating copyright at all, just wondering now about the Peter Pan copyright. I have an unhealthy fascination with copyright law. :smileyvery-happy:)

Fran