Frequent Contributor
Rich_BN
0 Kudos

SciFi?

I didn't get any suggestions for CEO leadership books. So, how 'bout SciFi.

Any suggestions for a scifi book with *no politics and no sex*. I'm looking for hardcore scifi. I hate buying a scifi book and finding it is nothing more that a political statement.

I like scifi with lots of cutting edge "real science" that supports the "fantasy science" parts.

Anyone...

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Rich_BN
0 Kudos

Re: SciFi?

Thx.

Wordsmith
Po1gara
0 Kudos

Rich_BN wrote:

I didn't get any suggestions for CEO leadership books. So, how 'bout SciFi.

Any suggestions for a scifi book with *no politics and no sex*. I'm looking for hardcore scifi. I hate buying a scifi book and finding it is nothing more that a political statement.

I like scifi with lots of cutting edge "real science" that supports the "fantasy science" parts.

Anyone...

Have you ever read anything by Greg Bear? He has a new one coming out on Nov 22nd called Hull Zero Three that I'm looking at. His Eon series was pretty hard-core scifi.

Distinguished Correspondent
Globaltech
0 Kudos

Small Miracles

Darwin's Children (Darwin Series #2)  gre

+++++++++++++++++++
¡sʞooq ɹǝʎ ,uıןɐǝʇs sɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ uı ǝɹɐ sǝʇɐɹıd ¡sǝou ɥo
Frequent Contributor
Rich_BN
0 Kudos

Thx, yes I liked EON.

I'll check on Hull Zero Three the 22nd.

Frequent Contributor
Rich_BN
0 Kudos

Thx.

Small Miracles Looks Good.

Is Darwin's Children a political statement type book? I don't like those kind of SciFi books.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

Shade's Children 

Had someone recommend this book to me awhile back and I finally read it and loved it.  Might fit the bill.

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Rich_BN wrote:

Thx.

Is Darwin's Children a political statement type book? I don't like those kind of SciFi books.

I would think not. I doubt that a hard-SF writer like Bear would debase himself by writing about the pitiful "debate" that's apparently "raising controversial issues" out there in the political cesspools and backwaters of the US.

I would expect it to be about evolution only - and no politics. Read the synopsis - I think it bears me out. Remember, scientific facts aren't political. A writer may simply take a certain thing for granted - doesn't make it political if it happens to go against a reader's personal opinions.

The cake is a lie.
Correspondent
Arctic_Ranger
0 Kudos

Rich,

i appreciate not wanting politic to invade every area of your life but this seems a strange restriction for this genre which in many way is intrinsically political.

I agree that Greg Bear is a good choice.  Stephen Baxter, Greg Benford and Ben Bova might also be to your liking.

James Hogan, David Brin and Nancy Kress may be borderline.  I am not sure how strictly you view things.

Good luck and happy reading.

Globaltech
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

aditya wrote:

Rich_BN wrote:

Thx.

I would think not. I doubt that a hard-SF writer like Bear would debase himself by writing about the pitiful "debate" that's apparently "raising controversial issues" out there in the political cesspools and backwaters of the US.

I would expect it to be about evolution only - and no politics. Read the synopsis - I think it bears me out. Remember, scientific facts aren't political. A writer may simply take a certain thing for granted - doesn't make it political if it happens to go against a reader's personal opinions.

Um.. i didn't think this book had so much to do with a specific, overbearing message.  However, I have no interest in reading the other books in his series here.  They kinda turned me off.  Usually, that's due to a relgious element (but I don't recollect specifically.)

There are elements of a big bad government rounding up children and putting them in 'death' camps though.  So, there is a bit of government in this one.

I really enjoyed small miracles though (pretty new and cheaper in ebook version)

I'd definitely recommend that over darwin's children, but greg bear is a pretty solid choice overall.. and anything just about by Niven.

+++++++++++++++++++
Contributor
flying_low
0 Kudos

Globaltech
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

oh, and add daemon

Daemon

There is also a followup book (which i haven't read yet and is rated good, but not as successful a story as the first)

The author was rejected by all the publishing houses and only got a deal after he self-published.

Freedom

+++++++++++++++++++
Frequent Contributor
DLCrouch
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Baen has a number of free SF ebooks - notably some of John Ringo Polseen series.

Prior to posting links please read our Book Club User Guidelines.

Thank you.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Contributor
MarinePMI
0 Kudos

Same site as above, but check out David Weber (military SciFi).  Honor Harrington Series (Basilisk Station is the first, and free).  Think of it as Horatio Hornblower, but set in space, with a female main character.  Very good series IMHO...

New User
LungingWolf
0 Kudos

I have one I'll be posting up here in a few days. I'm a previously unpublished author. The title is Ancestors. It's technological, theoretical, philosophical, and esoterical. I hope you buy it, and if so, I really really hope you come back and let me know what you thought of it. Sorry, I couldn't hit all of your desires, because it has a wholesome romantic element to it. To me, it's one of the best sub-plots in the book.

Regards,

Ken Street

If you can't fix it with a computer, you've got a connection fail.
Correspondent
wstewart
0 Kudos

You might want to try Lois McMaster Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan series.  It's mostly military sci-fi with some elements of intrigue and humor thrown in.

Bill

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

not sure that I've read any hard core scifi that didn't deal with some type of politics (Dune had a ton of political intrigue in it) so I'm assuming that you mean sci fi that is not a political statement about OUR society.

David Weber is my favorite!! Honor Harrington is my favorite, though the "empire of man"

series was pretty good too!

Baen Books has a ton of good sci fi authors and freebies to introduce you to the authors and series. Great site.

Sandikal
0 Kudos

Blindsight  by Peter Watts would probably fit what you want.  It's really hard-sf and the politics are strictly internal.  I don't recall there being any sex either.

Frequent Contributor
AkilahR
0 Kudos

Peter Hamilton the "Night's Dawn" trilogy. Frigging awesome.