Reader 4
LordDon

Seriously, B&N, Rename Delete

For those of us that work with computers all day, delete is something you do to a file, not a license to a book that you then have to repurchase later.  You shouldn't be able to quickly tap through a confirm screen to revoke your license to $8 to $15 worth of content.

Delete, to me, means get this file off my device.

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb

Re: Seriously, B&N, Rename Delete

Seriously, you need to get out a little bit. This function is clear for anyone with even a tiny bit of common sense. In this context it makes perfect sense.
Reader 4
LordDon

You think it's acceptable user interface design to put one confirmation dialog box between owning a license to use an item and being forced to re-purchase it a second time?

Quit drinking the koolaid.  I like B&N but this is terrible UI design.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

PatgolfNed, I'll respectfully disagree.

The 'Delete' is what everyone used to computers equates with 'Delete this 'file' from my computer.

It's caught me out a few times even after knowing that it kills the license.

Also have heard of lots of people 'deleting' a book and later realizing it's gone forever.

There should be, at the minimum, a popup that says - This Book will be gone FOREVER. If you just want to delete the file, and not the license, use Archive.

patgolfneb

Except when you select delete you get a pop up, unless you have disabled it, that warns you that delete is permanent. As far as cool aid. I own devices from at least 3 firms. Again computer community should not expect english language usage to change to programmer context. This usage is reasonable, your expectations are inflexible and I feel lack common sense.
Frequent Contributor
Didact
0 Kudos

Yeah, there's usually a pop-up that warns you about this. Anyway, I do think Barnes & Noble should be more accomodating to people who have accidentally deleted books. I've been told they almost never restore an accidentally deleted book. What harm could come from it? I'm pretty sure they won't lose any money...except for the money you probably aren't going to pay to re-purchase the book anyway.

keriflur

LordDon wrote:

You think it's acceptable user interface design to put one confirmation dialog box between owning a license to use an item and being forced to re-purchase it a second time?

Quit drinking the koolaid.  I like B&N but this is terrible UI design.

I'm sorry, but are you confused as to what a confirmation box is supposed to do?  It's there to confirm that you actually want to do what you say you want to do.  You are supposed to READ it and then DECIDE.  You didn't read, you just clicked, so it's on you.

Also, you've stated you use computers all the time, so you should know to BACK UP.  If you backed up your file, the fact that you deleted it is ultimately irrelevant, as you can sideload and read that file on any B&N app/device regardless of whether it's still part of your account.

Delete means DELETE.  I don't see what's so confusing here.

I guess you'll know for next time.

Geez, people will complain about anything these days.