Frequent Contributor
Thriller-Writer
0 Kudos

Settings

Here's my dilemma: I've been in the same setting for nine pages (Microsoft Word 1.5 spacing). The details probably don't matter, but one of my characters winds up in the hospital, which is the start of the nine pages. Through various events (Such as the character sleeping) the pages covered a period of about 12 hours. I feel as if the details contained in it help contribute to the overall plot, but I'm trying to decide if staying in the same setting for this length of time is a mistake. Is it? Or does it depend on what I'm doing with it? 

Distinguished Correspondent
Sandikal
0 Kudos

Re: Settings

I think it depends on what you're doing with it.  There are whole books that take place in one room, why not a mere nine pages.  (How many pages would that be in a printed book?)

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

I don't have any issue with remaining in the same setting for nine pages.  However, if you want to take it down, there are a few things you can consider:

You mention that you're covering twelve hours over nine pages.  How much of this is scenes (with direct purpose and character interaction), and how much of this is a relaying of events?  You can often cut the relaying of events, or minimize it as much as possible, as readers often skim that kind of information.  A good example of this is that you mention the character sleeping.  Unless this is in relation to a scene (i.e. that while the character is sleeping he has a vivid nightmare that helps him remember some important detail about the villain), you probably don't need it and can convey any important information at the start of the next scene, via showing (i.e. if the character slept poorly, you can show him as tired, grouchy, etc.).

Does that make sense?  I hope it helps.  :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
Thriller-Writer
0 Kudos

I've been wondering the same thing. But that also depends on the size/dimensions of the book and its pages. But thanks for the feedback. I just needed someone else's thoughts on this particular issue.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Thriller-Writer wrote:

I've been wondering the same thing. But that also depends on the size/dimensions of the book and its pages. But thanks for the feedback. I just needed someone else's thoughts on this particular issue.

To get the number of pages, take the number of words you've written and divide by 300 - this will the the approximate number of pages in a hardcover (standard size, average typeface, etc)