Contributor
Scott_Nagele
0 Kudos

Short story collections: a great way to add variety to your reading list

A Smile Through a Tear is a unique collection of 17 short stories, totaling about 82,000 words. This collection allows the reader to choose a funny story or a dramatic story, depending upon what they are in the mood for at any particular time.

The book is divided into two parts. The first part (A Smile) is made up of stories aimed at the reader’s funny bone. The second part (Through a Tear) is composed of heavier, more serious tales. Together, the stories span a wide range of characters, voices, and settings.

To read a complete sample story, use this URL: http://www.scottnagele.com/SmileSample.html

There are a lot of wonderful short story collections out there that don’t get the attention they should. I hope others will add titles of short story collections they would like to mention to this discussion, so that readers who seek such works will have a place to find them.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat

Re: Short story collections: a great way to add variety to your reading list

Thanks Scott, I just downloaded the book and look forward to reading it.

I love short stories and good flash fiction. It's the best choice for situations when I might not have the time to be engrossed in a longer tale, such as waiting at the doctor's office. These shorts also serve to break up the monotony when you don't feel like getting back to that epic tale just now, but still feel like reading something. They also keep me from reading cereal boxes at the breakfast table. :smileywink:

Thank you for your endeavor, I like how you've separated it into "mood" sections.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Contributor
Scott_Nagele
0 Kudos

Thank you Desert_Brat. I believe that people, such as yourself, who are willing to try new books and authors from outside of the limelight will be rewarded by finding entertaining reads that others may miss. I truly hope you enjoy this book, and a great many of the others that you might find on the periphery.

Thanks again,

Scott

Frequent Contributor
HoosierJoe
0 Kudos

I love short stories.  My experience with nook so far is that short story collections are few and far between.

Contributor
Scott_Nagele
0 Kudos

For anyone who enjoys short stories, or is just looking for a little diversion, here is the link to a free story I wrote for an indie author website.

http://www.indie-books-board.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=64

I apologize that it's not able to be downloaded, but it's only 1,000 words; hopefully it won't be too irritating to read online. It's been getting some really positive comments, so I thought I would share it here.

Thanks,

Scott

A Smile Through a Tear

Temp

Contributor
Scott_Nagele
0 Kudos

From April 6 - 19, A Smile Through a Tear will be featured on Sandy's Spotlight. Sandy's Spotlight is a blog that introduces readers to different books and allows them to interact with the author. If you enjoy short stories, please stop by to say hello and see if this unique collection of stories is right for your reading list. 

Hope to see you soon,

Scott

Frequent Contributor
HoosierJoe

The Alumni Grill 

The Alumni Grill, Volume II  

Good collections of southern writers. 

Frequent Contributor
HoosierJoe

BestsellerBound Short Story Anthology 

BestsellerBound Short Story Anthology Volume 2 

BestsellerBound Short Story Anthology Volume 3    

Can't beat the price on these, FREE!

There are some really good offerings in there also! 

Contributor
Scott_Nagele
0 Kudos

Thanks, Hoosier Joe, for suggesting some anthologies. You can never have enough good short stories to choose from!

Frequent Contributor
HoosierJoe
0 Kudos

I have a weakness for the short story.

Here's one I found thanks to our friends at Books on the Knob and the one's who post on our free thread here.

By Hook or By Crook