Distinguished Correspondent
CB2010

Sick of OT Nookbook reviews!

I'm sick of people who post reviews on various NookBooks that have NOTHING to do with the content of the books. I went to read a review on one of James Patterson's ebooks and EVERY review was a complaint about the price, not about the book itself. If you think a book is too expensive FINE, don't buy it, but quit posting 1 star on a book you haven't read. Obviously B&N is not reading your complaints or they'd be taking down the reviews. If you want to talk about something besides how you like or didn't like a book, why not post the issue on the forums?

Also, keep in mind that you're hurting your allegedly "favorite" author by making it look like the book is getting an unfavorable reviews when you're just having an OT snit!

Nooksie
0 Kudos

Re: Sick of OT Nookbook reviews!

*smile*  I agree with you.

Book reviews comments are for book reviews not general complaint boards.   I dislike it when I have to go off site for a book review when it should be available right here at B&N.

Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing
0 Kudos

Sometimes that is the only option people have to communicate to the publisher.

Some, including me, have advocated having a 'filter' to read all reviews or read only reviews from people who have bought it from B&N.  While this does cut off people from giving reviews who bought on another site, it's a small price to pay.  They can still post, but I want verified buyers' reviews rather than reviews based upon price or content at times.

Sometimes, I enjoy reading all reviews, good and bad, but a review by a verified buyer carries much more weight with me versus the anonymous 'reviews'.

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
Frequent Contributor
kevinrs
0 Kudos

But it is in no way a form of communication with the publisher.

Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing
0 Kudos

publshers look at all book review sites.  So, yes, those comments do get to the publshers.

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80

No they're not trying to communicate to publishers they are only being immature and rude.  You want to communicate with publishers?  You see which publisher did the book you go to their webpage and contact them directly.  These posts are worthless for Barnes and Noble and they are unfair to authors, publishers, book sellers, and the readers as well.  I think there should be a purchase verified rule on the site.  The word review means you have already read the book and you giving your insights on the book, the reviews that are in questioned here are of people that don't even read the book, the comments are useless.

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
javabird

[ Edited ]

CB2010 wrote:

I'm sick of people who post reviews on various NookBooks that have NOTHING to do with the content of the books.

I completely agree. This problem is not unique to B&N, though. Since I have an iPad, I also use the iBooks app and over there "reviewers" have completely trashed the Game of Thrones 4-book set simply because they don't like the price. When I was trying to decide whether to read the books, that type of feedback was absolutely useless.

People, please. I know how to add! I can decide for myself whether I think a book is worth the price or not.

I don't agree that the negative reviews have any impact on the publisher whatsoever. Prices are based on market factors, not a few one-star reviews.

BTW, if you see a "review" that you think is inappropriate, please flag it.

Inspired Correspondent
racheling

Theriot_Publishing wrote:

publshers look at all book review sites.  So, yes, those comments do get to the publshers.

What makes you think the people in control of the pricing are sitting there checking every book's BN.com reviews? They care about the professional review journals more than anything, for promotional purposes. 

The best way to communicate with a publisher is to contact them directly, because at least you have a chance of your message getting to the right people. It's a much more professional and respectful way to behave than trashing an author's ratings because you're mad about something that's completely out of their control.

CB2010
0 Kudos

kevinrs wrote:

Those comments are not going to get to the publishers. Do you really think a publisher is going read through all those reviews on all those books? No...they will look at the sales figures.

Besides I would bet B&N has just as much say as to the price than publishers. It used to be that books would always sell for full retail price. It wasn't until other discount bookstores came in (and this was before Amazon) that low and behold we found books did have a pretty good markup that could be lowered.

The publisher will set a minimum price. How much it goes up after that would be dependent on the bookseller. Being that electronic books cost nothing to produce once they publish the first one, they are making a HUGE profit off the newer or "hardback" versions that run $9.95-14.95.

If the electronic versions of certain authors are "flying off the shelves," then of course they're going to figure they can raise the price and make an even bigger profit! And they will up to the point it becomes detrimental. If you want to save money, then you have to buy what ever version is cheaper or wait a while until the price is dropped. If I see a game or software, if you wait a while, the price drops. If people don't want to pay $14.95 for an ebook they'll back off the price.

CB2010

One thing B&N could do that might help is offer a comment forum like their competitor does. It's at the bottom of the page (they also allow comments to a review). So people can use the forum to post things that have nothing to do with the review of the book. I notice a lot less problems about OT reviews over there. When you do see one, people will comment on the review and let the reviewer know this is not the place to complain about--for example, a shipping problem. Or let them know they're review was really helpful. So it's good for positive feedback too.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

CB2010 wrote:

kevinrs wrote:

Those comments are not going to get to the publishers. Do you really think a publisher is going read through all those reviews on all those books? No...they will look at the sales figures.

Besides I would bet B&N has just as much say as to the price than publishers. It used to be that books would always sell for full retail price. It wasn't until other discount bookstores came in (and this was before Amazon) that low and behold we found books did have a pretty good markup that could be lowered.

The publisher will set a minimum price. How much it goes up after that would be dependent on the bookseller. Being that electronic books cost nothing to produce once they publish the first one, they are making a HUGE profit off the newer or "hardback" versions that run $9.95-14.95.

If the electronic versions of certain authors are "flying off the shelves," then of course they're going to figure they can raise the price and make an even bigger profit! And they will up to the point it becomes detrimental. If you want to save money, then you have to buy what ever version is cheaper or wait a while until the price is dropped. If I see a game or software, if you wait a while, the price drops. If people don't want to pay $14.95 for an ebook they'll back off the price.

I'm not sure what you are referring to, but for the 6 major publishers, B&N has no say in the price of the book, there is no minimum set, the publisher sets the price and that's what it's sold for.  If you look at the product details of a book it will have a published by and sold by.  When it says, sold by Penguin, that's exactly what they mean, sold by Penguin, BN is just the agent.  Over at Amazon, they tell, the price for this book was set by the publisher. (Search these boards for Agency Model, you'll find plenty of information)

As far as cost goes for electronic books, first cost rarely has anything to do with price.  2nd, the cost of producing the book, be it printed or electronic, is not the major cost associated with the book.  It's been discussed here numerous times and in various articles by major newspapers.  The majority of the costs associated with a book are not on the production side, it's the payment to the author, the editors, the publisists, the attorneys, and all the other overhead that goes along with running a company and producing and marketing a book.  Those costs are applied to all versions of the book.

And apparently, plenty of people are willing to pay $12-$14 for an eBook as evidenced by the top selling eBooks at BN and Amazon each week.  So I wouldn't look for prices on new releases to drop anytime soon.

Contributor
apesmom
0 Kudos

While I don't necessarily condone the practice as it unfairly and adversely affects the author, I do see how it is a form of protest that may ultimately gain the attention of the price controlling publisher by decreasing sales.

I will use the recent Michael Connelly book as an example.  I personally have never read a Michael Connelly book and now I'm looking for something new to purchase so I look through the new releases and the recommendations provided by the retailer.  As I skim through the list I see over 300 people have given it just 2 stars, hmmm it must be bad and so I move on to something with a better rating.  Unless I'm curious as to why everyone hates the book I never look at the detail or the reviews, they've just lost a potential sale.

In another example, I'm somewhat interested in book by an author I've never read.  I've stumbled across his 2nd book in a series of 3 which has a decent rating of 4 stars with 80 reviews.  I'm not decided yet so I look at the author's body of work and see that the latest offering, the 3rd book in the series is getting slammed with 1 star from 200 reviews.  Hmmmm, I think I'll give a more consistent performer a try.  They've just lost the sale of the poorly reviewed book as well as the first 2 books in series.

If I'm already familiar with the author or have been given a recommendation by a friend I will likely dig into the detail and will eventually discount the poor reviews.  But for someone new to me, not going to waste the time, there's too many highly rate books out there to investigate.

Are these slammed books currently on the Bestseller lists? Yes. 

Are they selling at expected levels? We'll never know. 

It would be interesting to compare the number of weeks the slammed books are spending on the bestseller vs other well rated offerings.

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie

Oh, read Michael Connelly, the series is fantastic.  I'm new to that genre, but love it after reading the Lincoln Lawyer and the other books in the series.  Loved the movie too.

I do think people need to protest, but I personally do not think it is fair to the author to give a book a poor rating based on the nookbook price.  It's just so unfair to the author and the tremendous work and time they have put in to writing a particular book.

Just not fair to be judged that way.

CB2010
0 Kudos

TXAnnie wrote:

I do think people need to protest, but I personally do not think it is fair to the author to give a book a poor rating based on the nookbook price.  It's just so unfair to the author and the tremendous work and time they have put in to writing a particular book.

Just not fair to be judged that way.

Agree, the protest should be with the publisher, not with the poor writer who has no say in the matter!

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80

If you are upset about prices, instead of attacking the author on the product page, go to the publisher and contact them directly, tell them your situation, tell them how the economy is effecting you, and how you want to buy their books but cause of the economy you can't right now, tell them they will make more money if they drop their price a bit so more can afford to pay for their books.  The reviews of B N are pointless and serve no purpose and won't effect the publishers at all.

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.