Inspired Contributor
asnow4sure

Re: Smashwords freebies worth considering

I can vouch for "Desperate Times"....I downloaded it and I was hooked on first page. Very believable scenario with our economy being what it is right now. It's also around 834 pages. I highly recommend!!

Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC

@asnow4sure:

I remember when I first learned about Desperate Times that there were also a variety of prequels or related freebies, each of which focused on a particular character or set of characters from Desperate Times.  You might try running a search for the author's name to see if you can find the others in the "series."

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

Norbert  

Norbert, the fat old horse who lives in Farmer Finbar's field has a serious problem - His teeth are green! Unless this is quickly rectified, Delilah, the pretty pony who lives in the next paddock will surely never speak to him. But how can a horse clean its own teeth? With the help of Colin, the grumpy cuckoo who resides high up in the foliage of the sycamore tree, Norbert concocts a cunning plan. But will he succeed in winning Delilah's heart? Or will it end in utter disaster?
A comic tale for ages 7+. 

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw

Dead Man's Eye  

A corneal transplant does more than correct Joanna Raines sight. It allows her to see something that doesn't want to be seen. Something evil. Something that threatens mankind. The only trouble is that no one believes her, and by the time they do, it might be too late ... Seeing is believing. Now Joanna just has to convince everyone else. 

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw

Too Near the Edge  

A man falls to his death at the Grand Canyon. Accident, suicide or murder? What if you could ask him?

When park rangers find Adam's crumpled body 300 feet below the rim of the Grand Canyon, they think he was one more careless tourist. But back home in Boulder, Colorado, his grief-stricken wife Sharon is sure he was murdered. She won't rest until she knows why he was so troubled in the month before he died. Over the objections of her prominent father, she turns to grief therapist Cleo Sims, who runs a project that re-unites people with dead loved ones.

Cleo takes on the challenge to help Sharon contact Adam and solve the mystery of his death. She gets extra encouragement from Tyler, a surfer-dude spirit who visits her from beyond and offers cryptic advice.

If you're looking for a fast-paced mystery, with a courageous female sleuth, unexpected plot turns, a cast of fascinating suspects, a touch of humor and a paranormal twist, Too Near the Edge is the quick, enjoyable read for you.

Too Near the Edge won a silver medal for best regional fiction in the 2007 Independent Publisher Book Awards. 

Distinguished Correspondent
AVID-JT

I agree that Desperate Times is one of the most exciting and relevant books I've read in a long time.  What happens in that story could very well happen in reality.  The e-book is now $2.99 but such a great read that it's worth every penny and more.  If you haven't read it, download it before the price goes up, because it will. 

New User
Elijah_Joon
0 Kudos

Famous literary agent Jeff Kleinman, who infamously said he absolutely hates short stories recently called this free short short on Smashwords a "Great story."  That's noteworthy in and of itself.

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

Veiled Eyes  

Anna St. Thais has always wondered who she was; an orphan or abandoned child. As she travels to New Orleans she quickly realizes that the dreams she's had of a strangely attractive man are very real and that he has a strong psychic connection to her. She finds the the enigmatic Lake People and there she will unravel the mystery that is her life. 

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015

Cloudburst: previously published, now on Smashwords

[ Edited ]

I haven't read this one, but it was previously published by a 'Big 6' publisher.

Cloudburst

To get this one for free, you have to get it directly from Smashwords. Smashwords is an Agency Model publisher, so this title should become free here on B&N when they get the next Smashwords update.

Books on the Knob says this one was originally published by HarperCollins under the title Thunder One.

Description from Books on the Knob: (I don't know where Karen got this text)

In Los Angeles, the president is killed in a brazen terrorist suicide attack. Halfway across the globe, an American airliner is hijacked by another group of Middle Eastern extremists and forced to make a brief stop in Libya. Events that are first seen as unconnected soon are proven to be part of an interconnected plan to strike at the heart of the United States.

On opposite coasts, FBI Agent Art Jefferson and National Security Adviser Bud DiContino race to manage situations as they spiral toward disaster. With the hijacked airliner racing toward the United States, its cargo hold filled with what intelligence analysts believe is a nuclear weapon, the only hope for the passengers' lives comes in the form of an audacious rescue plan to be executed by the highly secretive Delta Force.

From its pulse-pounding opening to its action-packed climax, Cloudburst grabs you and will not let go. Ranging from the violent assassination of the President on the streets of Los Angeles to covert action against terrorist havens in North Africa, from the halls of power in Washington to a highjacked airliner racing toward the heart of the United States, Cloudburst takes the reader on a riveting journey as FBI agents and elite counterterrorist units fight a desperate battle to save millions of innocents, and bring those responsible to justice.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015

One O'Clock Jump: previously published, now on Smashwords

[ Edited ]

I haven't read this one, but it was previously published by a 'Big 6' publisher.

One O'clock Jump (Dorie Lennox Series #1)

To get this one for free, you have to get it directly from Smashwords. Smashwords is an Agency Model publisher, so this title should become free here on B&N when they get the next Smashwords update.

Books on the Knob says this one was originally published by Minotaur (now a Macmillan publisher).

Description from Books on the Knob: (I don't know where Karen got this text)

Halfway around the world, war has begun, but for Dorie Lennox, a newly-minted private eye on her first tail, danger is more immediate. The dark streets of Kansas City of 1939 offer swing music, fast cars, gangsters, and the chance to forget about the Depression and her own murky past. But first she must conquer her fears and save a woman on a bridge high above the muddy Missouri. Dorie is thrown into a quickly unraveling scam that offers salvation to few — and misery to plenty — in the high stakes world of machine politics and desperation deals.

The landscape of America and the homefront of World War II are evoked in a thoughtful mystery that lingers for the force of characters and keen sharpness of a slice of history seen through the perceptive, compassionate eyes of Dorie Lennox.

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

Re: One O'Clock Jump: previously published, now on Smashwords

Sudden Death (endorsed by James Patterson & Clive Cussler)

Reid Clark - a pro golfer at the top of the leader board during the PGA tour; he is also a hothead with a reputation for trouble. Reid receives a death threat right before teeing off on the final day of the Master's Tournament, and hires a P.I. to track down the perpetrator. Suspense builds throughout as Reid tries to compete in one of golf s most prestigious contests - and woo the woman he loves. 

Inspired Contributor
asnow4sure
0 Kudos

Memories for Sale  

When Eleanor learns that her time is running out, she reaches out to her estranged daughter and the grandchild she's never met, hoping to make amends. With the help of an elaborate plan, she intends to make memories that will last them a life time, and a legacy that will continue to provide for them long after she has gone. But the one thing that Eleanor has forgotten is that her daughter can be just as stubborn as she is. Will she be able to reunite with her daughter, while still keeping her biggest secret?

Very sweet and uplifting read.

Inspired Contributor
asnow4sure
0 Kudos

I Am Not My Brother's Keeper  

Nerdgirljenn

I don't think I added the link to Queen's Blade last time...it's still free (as it is part of a series)...a good read IMHO, if you are into fantasy(ie Robert Jordan, Carol Nelso Douglas early works, David Eddings), you might enjoy this...I was impressed by the plot, the description of the setting (considering she had to make the world up on her own, making it sound realistic), the depth of the characters and their motivations...

The Queen's Blade  

"The earth laughs in flowers."~Emerson
"Where there is love, there is life." ~Ghandi
aprilbabyAK

Lost Cargo  

This book is 2.99 at BN and Amazon (4 stars at Amazon too) but it is FREE at Smashwords.

When Travis Maguire chases his dog into Washington, D.C.’s Rock Creek Park wilderness, he finds more than the dog -- he discovers a camera with photos of a mysterious black triangle that crashed in the woods. Obsessed with the photos, Travis searches for the wreck with two friends: beautiful Lexie Collins, who’s convinced a UFO came down outside the city, and her skeptical brother Burke.

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/85753

Miss Piggy from Cheap e-Reads
https://www.facebook.com/CheapeReads
aprilbabyAK
0 Kudos

Kingdom of Fire (The Sword of Fire Saga)  

Smashwords on BN

Kingdom of Fire is the first book in the epic new high fantasy series which chronicles the final war between the crumbling human empire of Werstria and the savage and unrelenting horde of the orcs at their border.

In the first book of the Sword of Fire saga, the epic struggle for survival is told through the eyes of a newly enlisted soldier named Markus, who experiences the crushing defeat of the western empire as the horde of Karsian orcs led by the dreaded Prince Ozturk, smash through the Werstrian defences. Only the bitter onset of winter slows their invasion. Markus, the only survivor of his regiment, battles desperately to stay alive. Driven deep into the infamous Salbein Mountains, he befriends the most unlikely of allies. With only a few months until the counter-offensive of the spring, he must seek the help of a mysterious wizard and lord who has lived in solitude for hundreds of years.

With the aid of the most unlikely of friends, Markus must venture into hostile lands to save the empire from destruction, faced with the terrifying knowledge that the orcs of Karsia have unearthed and harnessed the power of the Dragons of bygone ages. Markus fights the class struggle of his people, the bitter hatred of the orcs and the dreadful wrath of Dragons in his personal quest for revenge.

Kingdom of Fire is a classic work of high fantasy set in the midst of a brutal war of epic proportions. 

Miss Piggy from Cheap e-Reads
https://www.facebook.com/CheapeReads
Contributor
Kurt149
0 Kudos

Not a Lot of People Know That

by David Hailwood 

This is a book of trivia facts the author made up. It's a funny short read. But the really funny thing is to read the reviews of people who can't decide if it's real or not.

javabird

Running of the Bulls 

This is the sequel to Fifth Avenue:

TWELVE PEOPLE TARGETED FOR DEATH...
Five years ago, each person sold out to the SEC and took the stand against Maxmilian Wolfhagen, the infamous arbitrageur who robbed the world of billions and brought about the collapse of the stock market. Now, with Wolfhagen out of prison, one by one, each is dying a grisly death.

TWO ASSASSINS WITH ONLY 48 HOURS TO CUT A SWATH OF MURDER AND REVENGE THROUGH NEW YORK...
With the time restrains so tight, the challenges are massive--but so are their ruthless skills.

MARTY SPELLMAN IS ON THE CASE...
Hired by the writer Maggie Cain to investigate Wolfhagen for a biography she's writing about him, private investigator Marty Spellman soon learns that all isn't what it seems as the twists pile up along with sheer number of the dead. His life is put on the line. His family is threatened. No one is who they appear to be. Who can he trust as the bulls of Wall Street start to run as the two assassins fully ignite their killing spree?

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat

Journeywoman  

by Mary Lou Gediman

(Brandylane Publishers)

Margaret Lerner—divorced, sheltered and obsessive-compulsive—lives a relatively simple life until she meets a Native American spiritual guide who advises her to take a journey and "Pay attention to the signs." Running parallel to Maggie’s enlightening travels is another puzzle to be solved: her father’s potential involvement in the murder of two policemen when Maggie was just a girl.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX