Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Re: Smashwords freebies worth considering, great ratings!

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos
Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC

Re: Smashwords freebies worth considering

@compulsivereaderTX:

Forgive me for asking, but have you read all of the freebies you recommended in the last day or so?  The original purpose of this thread was to enable us to sift some of the Smashwords wheat from the chaff (I think I got that metaphor right), but that only works if the poster has actually read the books and can state with at least some authority that they are worth our time.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

[ Edited ]

BrandieC wrote:

@compulsivereaderTX:

Forgive me for asking, but have you read all of the freebies you recommended in the last day or so?  The original purpose of this thread was to enable us to sift some of the Smashwords wheat from the chaff (I think I got that metaphor right), but that only works if the poster has actually read the books and can state with at least some authority that they are worth our time.

Not all smashword titles that are free today will always be free. That I know from experience. I tend to watch the Kindle free book lists, Books on the Knob and other sources for my own picks in ebooks and find even then, I pick and choose. Books are generally available elsewhere before they are available here at B&N so there are ratings/reviews available if not here.

I have found that what *I* may think was a great book, you may think is terrible.

I have only picked those books from my own library that I have either read or are on my "next to read" list.The ONLY reason I might not have read a book that I posted is because I got a couple of awesome deals (90% and 75% off at Kobo) on some complete series that I've been dying to read and those titles bumped several books off my list. THESE I posted however are still on the list.

I try not to share titles that I haven't read yet that I feel are iffy or just don't have the ratings and reviews to back it up though I have been wrong in the past.  But...as I said, I may hate a book that you love and vice versa. 

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

I HAVE read this one and then purchased the next one in the series. I see there's another one now.

Product Details

• BN ID: 2940011231957
  • Publisher: You Come Too Publishing
  • Publication date: 3/11/2011
  • Sold by: SMASHWORDS - EBKS
  • Format: eBook
  • Sales rank: 1,583
  • File size: 505 KB

Last year after falling through the ice, seventeen-year-old Abby Craig woke up from death.

But she woke into a world she barely recognizes. She can’t see colors, memories have been erased, and her friends all hate her. And then there’s Jesse, who she loves, but who refuses to forgive her the one mistake she made long ago.

Just when she thinks it can’t get any worse, the visions begin. In them, she sees a faceless serial killer roaming the streets. While the police believe that there have been a lot of accidents in town lately, Abby knows differently. And she soon realizes that it’s up to her to find him.

But to stop him, she’ll have to confront more than just the killer. She’ll have to face something else that was lost in those dark waters. The truth.

In the tradition of Amanda Hocking, 44 is a thrilling paranormal romance mystery novel that keeps readers at the edge of their seats and glued to the very end. The ending will haunt you forever.

"Five Star Review. Heart pounding mystery that expertly weaves all the elements of a great paranormal suspense novel. The known and the unknown interact magnificently. You’ll love this book."

-- Allison Karras, author of "Drowning in the Dark"

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Donovan  

“A vagabond musician decides to settle down in a small town and promptly falls in love with her next door neighbor. To her dismay, he turns out to be the local minister. Ms. Webb has done a really lovely job of weaving in the more serious problems relating to the hero’s vocation while maintaining a marvelous sense of humor and romance.” Romantic Times

“Webb has a fresh and humorous voice that makes reading just plain fun.” Affaire de Coeur

“Peggy Webb’s humor keeps fans coming back.” Times/Daily, Jackson, TN

“The Donovans of the Delta classics are a heartwarming portrayal of family. Peggy Webb’s unique voice and comedic touch make this charming Southern series a true masterpiece. The stories made me laugh out loud and cry. Just amazing!” Debra Webb, national bestselling author of the Colby Agency series

Donovans of the Delta Series, Book One (Special Holiday Price)

When Martie Fleming breezed into small town Pontotoc, Mississippi, determined to settle down and teach jazzercise in her home studio, she never expected to land next door to the minister. She never expected her playful golden retriever to steal his shorts right off the clothes line. And she certainly never expected to fall in love.

Everybody in town would agree they are so wrong for each other – everybody but Paul Donovan. With her gypsy outfits, her lively music and her irrepressible spirit, Martie is exactly the angel the preacher needs. But can he convince her? Can their love and his career survive the small town gossip and the fireworks Martie creates wherever she goes?

This is the first of a five-book romantic comedy series originally published by Loveswept and considered to be their definitive family series. The sequel to Donovan’s Angel is Sleepless Nights.

------------------

can't personally vouch for this as I haven't read it yet...but it has an average 4 star rating with 149 ratings and that's better than many of the non-smashword titles, including the big 6. 

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Maid for the Billionaire  

The Legacy Collection

Book 1: Maid for the Billionaire

Dominic Corisi knew instantly that Abigail Dartley was just the distraction he was looking for, especially since having her took a bit more persuading than he was used to. So when business forces him to fly to China, he decides to take her with him, but on his terms. No promises. No complications. Just sex.

Abby has always been the responsible one. She doesn’t believe in taking risks; especially when it comes to men - until she meets Dominic. He’s both infuriating and intoxicating, a heady combination. Their trip to China revives a long forgotten side of Abby, but also reveals a threat to bring down Dominic’s company. With no time to explain her actions, Abby must either influence the outcome of his latest venture and save his company or accept her role as his mistress and leave his fate to chance. Does she love him enough to risk losing him for good?

------------------------

200 ratings with average of 4 stars.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat

Twin Souls  

by DelSheree Gladden

He avoids her because of the strange physical pain he feels when they touch. She avoids him because the way everyone seems to do what he says scares her. But when Claire needs to escape a bad situation Uriah is the first person she thinks of, and he is eager to rescue her. Faced with each other for the first time, both Uriah and Claire find it impossible to listen to their fears and stay away from one another. They soon find out, though, that there is more than they ever thought possible trying to keep them apart.

Following tradition the pair approaches the Elders of their Tewa tribe to ask permission to marry. Everyone is shocked when the shaman refuses them, claiming they are not Twin Souls. Confused and angry Uriah refuses to listen, and promises them that he will never abandon Claire. When Claire is poisoned by her vindictive father his resolve is tested. Ancient Native American myths and legends spring into reality, doing everything they can to keep Uriah from saving Claire’s life, while beginning to reveal the truth behind the lies he has been told all his life.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Inspired Contributor
MoonracerMN

[ Edited ]

The Moghul  My small addition to this list. I have just started this book but so far I like what I have been reading, and at over 1,000 pages worth it.

http://www.goodreads.com/MoonracerMN
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat

In Her Name  

by Michael R. Hicks

Led by Commander Owen McClaren, the TNS Aurora is embarked on an extended survey mission, searching for new worlds that could support human life. Drawn to an uncharted star system by the discovery of potentially habitable planets, the crew of the Aurora discovers something entirely unexpected: the planets are already inhabited, but not by humans. Approached by gigantic alien starships, Aurora's crew makes ready for humanity’s very first contact with another sentient race.

But nothing could prepare them for what fate has in store. For they have entered the domain of the Kreelan Empire, which has waited thousands of years to find another spacefaring race against which to wage war to honor their Empress. With all but one of the crew killed in bloody close combat, the aliens send Aurora home bearing the sole survivor: the Messenger, a young crewman who carries with him an alien artifact that is humanity’s only sign of how much time remains until they are plunged into an interstellar war…

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright

MoonracerMN wrote:

The Moghul  My small addition to this list. I have just started this book but so far I like what I have been reading, and at over 1,000 pages worth it.

Thanks for posting this. He has a number of freebies posted that look interesting. And like some (many?) other Smashwords freebies, these are books that have been previously traditionally published that the rights seem to have reverted to the author.

What can I say? I have a fondness for the older mid-list.

Inspired Contributor
MoonracerMN

The Stone Arrow  

Your welcome, glad I could help. Got another one that the rights seems to have gone back to the author. Its part 1 of a trilogy books 2 & 3 are still full price(2.99 I  believe) so not a bad deal. Its another one I am currently reading.

RHWright wrote:

MoonracerMN wrote:

Thanks for posting this. He has a number of freebies posted that look interesting. And like some (many?) other Smashwords freebies, these are books that have been previously traditionally published that the rights seem to have reverted to the author.

What can I say? I have a fondness for the older mid-list.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Here are some highly rated nookbooks you might be interested in:

The Last King's Amulet 

Eternity 

Cursed, Book One of The Devils Roses    

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Undeniable  

Product Details

• BN ID: 2940011138935
  • Publisher: Air Castle Books
  • Publication date: 9/21/2010
  • Sold by: SMASHWORDS - EBKS
  • Format: eBook
  • Sales rank: 1,559
  • File size: 307 KB

Sensual Regency Romance

331 ratings averaging 4 stars.

Inspired Contributor
MoonracerMN

Broadmoor Revealed  

An interesting history and stories of some of the residents of a Victorian era asylum.

Inspired Contributor
MoonracerMN

The Lawmen  Sorry for the double post but I just finished another smashwords freebie.

It had a few typos but overall I enjoyed it. Its pretty fast-paced and I finished it in about 2-hours total read time(spread out over a couple of days due to work and kids). Westerns as a general rule are not my favorite genre but I enjoyed this one. Hopefully someone else will enjoy it too.

Inspired Contributor
MoonracerMN
0 Kudos

Natural Causes by James Oswald. I'm not much of a supernatural fan but this one was a mystery as well so I gave it a try. I enjoyed it, it has a well written plot. My big isue was some of the acronyms but that is easily remeded by looking on the internet.
A3A
Inspired Scribe
A3A

[ Edited ]
Jim Stinson made available four books in the series free to download from iTunes, Kobo, and Smashwords. B&N lists free versions and  $4.99 versions. Make sure the books are really free if purchasing from B&N. The titles are as follows: ------1. Double Exposure-----------2.  Low Angles-------3. Truck Shot-----------4. TV Safe-----------------------------First published in 1986 in hardcover by Scribner.
Inspired Contributor
MoonracerMN

[ Edited ]

Ambrose, Prince of Wessex; Trader of Kiev.  

Ambrose, Prince of Wessex; Trader of Kiev, is a story set during the time of the Viking invasions of Europe and Russia. The story chronicles the life of Ambrose, a bastard Saxon Prince of England, and elder brother to Alfred the Great.
Ambrose and his companion, Phillip, are caught and enslaved during a Viking raid on his homeland. They are taken to Frisia and then to Denmark, where they meet a Byzantine slave, Polonius. Ambrose and Polonius are fortunate enough to have kind masters, but Phillip is first abused and then condemned to a terrible death. In order to save the life of his faithful companion, Ambrose must flee both his master and his first love.
The three escaped slaves flee north by boat to Norway, where they land and recover from their arduous journey. Before the snow closes the high passes, however, they trek overland to Sweden and the land of the Rus.
A letter from Ambrose's former master assures a surprising welcome there, but they must once again flee when pursuing Danish ships make port. Sneaking away in the night, they manage to join an expedition of Rus tribesmen who are on their way to take over the Slav city of Novgorod.
The three comrades build a trading post there, appoint a factor, and then take the opportunity to move south with another expedition sailing down the Dnieper River with the intention of colonizing the Slav town of Kiev. On the main trade route to the Byzantine empire, the Viking conquerors of Kiev start to organize both Vikings and Slavs into a federation of tribesmen. The area, just north of the open steppes, is terribly vulnerable to attacks from powerful nomad tribes that roam the steppes to the east and the south.
After settling in Kiev, Polonius marries Kuralla, the Slav chief's daughter whom Ambrose saved from a terrible death. Kiev is perfectly suited to control the trade from the north to the fabled city of Constantinople, and the friends work hard to establish a secure base for their Swedish sponsor, Gunnar of the Rus.
Within a year of arriving, the new settlers find themselves fighting the Pechenegs, a fierce Steppe nation that is, itself, being forced from its traditional territory. Thanks to the mobility offered by the Viking ships, the Slav and Viking allies are able to hold back the savage raiders. Polonius acts as a military advisor, and his ideas allow the Vikings to attack the Pechenegs at their most vulnerable point. With their cavalry decimated by the stubborn river people and their own enemies catching up to them, the Pechenegs flee across the Dnieper and move west.
With the Rus leaders now firmly in control of Kiev and much of the Dnieper River Valley, the dead are buried and reconstruction begins. The Rus have come to stay, and, after long and exciting travels, Ambrose, Phillip and Polonius have found an adopted home.

I am looking forward to getting book 2 of thie 6 or 7 book series. I like a well written historical fiction and this made me very happy for the price.

A3A
Inspired Scribe
A3A

"The Mephisto Mysteries" by Terence O'Grady, is free at B&N.---------------------------------------http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-mephisto-mysteries-terence-ogrady/1109155852?ean=2940033042777--... Elizabeth McDermitt is thrilled to be a finalist for the famous Radovsky Prize, a Viennese competition featuring the best young pianists in the world. But the situation quickly becomes sinister when two young pianists are injured and unable to continue. And there are reports of strange, perhaps even supernatural events that keep everyone on edge. Finally, there is the suicide of one of the pianist’s teachers, a suicide that turns out to be a murder.