Contributor
Meesterjojo
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

So where are the "thousands" of free ebooks?

I've searched this forums and someone was asking a similar question only to have someone from B&N who must not have understood what he was asking (and re-asking, and asking some more).

I've searched online- ebook section, there's a section for "free books", but I submit there isn't more than 70 books listed. And while I have found them popping up in the individual sections, I'm curious- will they only be available to easily search with the nook (though this seems highly unlikely)? Is there some masterful search string I should use?

Thanks!

Frequent Contributor
cummings66
0 Kudos

Re: So where are the "thousands" of free ebooks?

I found them, the google books are there.  Just type a search subject and I bet you'll find a lot of google books in the results.

Contributor
Meesterjojo
0 Kudos

Sorry I don't understand what you mean/are asking.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Free-eBooks/379001668/?cds2Pid=24925&linkid=1517699

Is the link I went to, as provided by B&N.

Are the ones displayed by B&N different than the google books you speak of, and how do they format in the Nook? Covers?

Thanks again!

Correspondent
DRW53OH
0 Kudos

You can also download about a zillion books (plus or minus one) in the public domain from Project Gutenberg (www.gutenberg.org).  You can get them in the epub format, which the nook reputedly will recognize.

Contributor
Meesterjojo
0 Kudos

I see- I thought there may have been something on offer via B&N, books formatted so that the Nook would display them properly rather than side-loaded books.

Oh well, thanks :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

this has been repeatedly explained about a gazillion times on this board if you search for it, but one more time.  You can search for the "thousands" of free books made available by google books ON the barnes and noble website by going to the ebooks tab at the top, typing in "*" in the search box, and then sorting by price.  All of the free ones will show up at the front. 

Correspondent
rhayes
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Meester,

Go to the "eBooks" tab above, conduct a search but don't put anything in the search box. It will find all books, which you can then sort by price with the lowest--zero cost--showing up at the top of the list.

The free ones are Google Books, for which the copyrights have expired; they're in the public domain and accessible by various ereaders.

And of course you can search by author. I found a copy of Tom Sawyer that I "bought" that way.

Hope this helps.

Contributor
Meesterjojo
0 Kudos

That's facinating very-simple, as stated in my OP: I did search, and only 1 thread with 3 entries came up in the search. One might reckon for a...how many did you state..oh yes "a gazillion times"...search such as this it might show up more than 3 from 1 thread?

Please, I'm asking a legitimate question- trolling is not wanted.

Thank you to everyone else for your help :smileyhappy:

very-simple
0 Kudos

Inspired Contributor
BlueHairBob
0 Kudos

Re: So where are the "thousands" of free ebooks? Right in the nook store!

I just got nook last night, and i was surprised to find that the free Google public domain books are all available from the nook store!  I had been using the PC version of the ereader and these titles were not in the store the last time i looked - you had to side load them.  Having them in the store is great - I grabbed the Jules Verne, Arthur Conan Doyle, and Edgar Rice Burroughs books I was looking for.  Be sure to check for multiply editions at different prices; you can get the $4.99 version, or you can get a FREE version.  I paid $0.99 for one book before I realized the FREE ones were all there

Contributor
Tx_Mel
0 Kudos

For free books. I search "0.00"

Frequent Contributor
Radecliffe
0 Kudos

Tx_Mel wrote:

For free books. I search "0.00"

Ditto.  This will net you about 900k results.  You can do that search from the Nook but I don't recommend it.  Due to the huge number of results it is a lot easier to refine your searches and find what you are looking for from that pile using the website. 

Don't Panic
TNS
TNS
0 Kudos

Meesterjojo wrote:

Sorry I don't understand what you mean/are asking.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Free-eBooks/379001668/?cds2Pid=24925&linkid=1517699

Is the link I went to, as provided by B&N.

Are the ones displayed by B&N different than the google books you speak of, and how do they format in the Nook? Covers?

Thanks again!

There are a small number of free books pointed to by the url you mention.  Some older and some very new.  Occassionally they have put up a just released book for a day or two and then remove it.  So it is worth while to look there.

Others have described the way to find ALL free books including those from Google.  Last I checked there were about 500,000 free titles. 

Reader
pixiekatoz
0 Kudos

That search didn't work. 

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

To search for free books on the website, change the search in box to eBooks.  Type in 0.00.  That should get you all of the free books.  You can then filter by genre using the links on the left.  If you get a message that your search returned nothing for 000, then click back to the main B&N site, change the search in box back to ebooks and try again.  For some reason, at for me, occasionally this is what I have to do to get it to work.

You can also use the advanced search for under $10, then sort by price.

To search for free books on the nook, go to the shop function, select search.  Type in 0.00 and then a genre, for instance 0.00 Mystery will get you all the free books that have been tagged as a mystery.

Inspired Contributor
astrangerhere
0 Kudos

DRW53OH wrote:

You can also download about a zillion books (plus or minus one) in the public domain from Project Gutenberg (www.gutenberg.org).  You can get them in the epub format, which the nook reputedly will recognize.

Is "zillion" a scientific term? :smileytongue:

As for the Gutenberg books, they work fantastically on the Nook. I tag all my free epub content using Calibre and sideload on.  As you can get all the Gutenberg books in epub, no conversion is needed.  You can also get them in txt and html files if you prefer.  Its a great source.

The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience. --To Kill a Mockingbird
Inspired Correspondent
SHissong
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

If you get a message that your search returned nothing for 000

I usually get this message.  Instead, I do a search for $0.00 and this will bring up all of the free books.

Correspondent
bluedaze
0 Kudos

Out of curiosity, I just selected ebooks in the drop down search box, typed in the 0.00 and as of right now it shows 956, 401 free books.

Rav_Bunneh
0 Kudos

And there are also sites like feedbooks! :3

Contributor
Read-n-Quilt
0 Kudos

I search the 0.00 on my nook and get the 900,000 books. I've also sideloaded about 20 books from the Gutenburg Project without issue. Check Doug Pardee's posts and he has a bunch of other sources for books. You can also check to see if your local library system has ebooks. Mine does and if there are any actually available, :smileytongue: I can get them there.  Also, check out the free fridays. Most of my collection is from there, although they do tend to overlap with the gutenburg for the build your library selections.