New User
MrsB75
0 Kudos

Sony Ereader compatibility

I called Customer Service to see if B&N's ebooks are compatible with Sony and they are not. I was advised to start a post requesting Sony's format to be available to B&N customers, so here it is! I would be grateful for anyone who adds their 2 cents on the subject. THANKS!

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: Sony Ereader compatibility

@MrsB75,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the boards!

We read all posts suggestions, requests, issues, bugs, etc. and try to be efficient with a response.  Also, if you ever are experiencing any issues you can always PM me directly.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Correspondent
illmunkeys
0 Kudos

From what I understand, Adobe and B&N's worked together to create the DRM on B&Ns eBooks.  

Supposedly, Adobe will be releasing an updated content manager to transfer these DRMed books successfully to other hardware.  Also, hardware manufacturers (such as Sony) will have to release an update to make their devices compatible.  Neither of these things exists yet and I haven't seen any firm date on it.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
MrsB75 wrote:

I called Customer Service to see if B&N's ebooks are compatible with Sony and they are not. I was advised to start a post requesting Sony's format to be available to B&N customers, so here it is! I would be grateful for anyone who adds their 2 cents on the subject. THANKS!

You can't read a B&N e-book on a Sony Reader.

You can read a Sony e-book on a NOOK.

So I think you asked CS the wrong question. Sony's format is already available to B&N customers. See my signature for a posting I wrote describing how to use Sony e-books on a NOOK.

The problem is if you want to use a B&N e-book on a Sony. The Sony Reader doesn't know how to handle B&N e-books. That, you'd have to take up with Sony.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Doug has it exactly right.

I have both and while any books I purchase from Sony can be used on my nook or my Sony, B&N books can only be used on my nook.

n1
New User
n1
0 Kudos

I agree, Sony reader should be made compatable with the Nook.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

n1 wrote:

I agree, Sony reader should be made compatable with the Nook.

Sony reader is compatible with the nook, nook is not compatible with Sony reader.

Inspired Correspondent
Phigment
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hmmm all my 1100+ books are compatible with the nook and sony ereader.   Oh wait! They don't have DRM on them... go figure. Oh, and they're not google books/gutenberg books.

Correspondent
illmunkeys
0 Kudos

Phigment wrote:

Hmmm all my 1100+ books are compatible with the nook and sony ereader.   Oh wait! They don't have DRM on them... go figure. Oh, and they're not google books/gutenberg books.

That's nice.  Some people like to show support to their favorite authors so they keep writing.

Correspondent
illmunkeys
0 Kudos

@FrogAlum:

After reading Adobe's FAQ and the guy who helped break the DRM (google is your friend for such a link), B&Ns is using a variation of Adobe's ADEPT DRM.

So, in a sense, Sony does need to become compatible... but Sony has to wait on Adobe to release the update for it to do so.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

illmunkeys wrote:

@FrogAlum:

After reading Adobe's FAQ and the guy who helped break the DRM (google is your friend for such a link), B&Ns is using a variation of Adobe's ADEPT DRM.

So, in a sense, Sony does need to become compatible... but Sony has to wait on Adobe to release the update for it to do so.

Yeah, the guess maybe late this year...

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

As mentioned, no problem reading Sony ebooks on the Nook, I got lots of practice when Sony recently had their giftcard sale at Target!    :smileyhappy:

Linda

Inspired Correspondent
Phigment
0 Kudos

illmunkeys wrote:

Phigment wrote:

That's nice.  Some people like to show support to their favorite authors so they keep writing.

As an FYI, my books came from Baen, which never had DRM. And I've been buying books from them since they started offering them (10-11 years ago). Also from other smaller sites, for off-the-wall authors such as Atk Butterfly. Though i'm not sure Atk Butterfly is so off the wall anymore, since he's now at B&N and Amazon.

Correspondent
illmunkeys
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Phigment wrote:

As an FYI, my books came from Baen, which never had DRM. And I've been buying books from them since they started offering them (10-11 years ago). Also from other smaller sites, for off-the-wall authors such as Atk Butterfly. Though i'm not sure Atk Butterfly is so off the wall anymore, since he's now at B&N and Amazon.

The way you stated it was cryptic and evasive.  Why not just say you purchased them from Baen and give them free publicity?  

In fact, one should do this all the time.  Baen Publishing is awesome.

**As an aside, this forum allow you to post without any text.  I thought that was interesting.**

Inspired Correspondent
Phigment
0 Kudos

illmunkeys wrote:

Phigment wrote:

The way you stated it was cryptic and evasive.  Why not just say you purchased them from Baen and give them free publicity?  

In fact, one should do this all the time.  Baen Publishing is awesome.

**As an aside, this forum allow you to post without any text.  I thought that was interesting.**

I'm guilty of hitting *post* with out realizing what I posted could have negative connontations. It wasn't til I read your post (Nicely, coldly done! I could feel your disdain from miles away) that I realised I didn't go into details.  I do Support Baen, and although NOT every author is my cup-of-tea, it was still a better deal for me to purchase the monthly books for $15. Than piece them apart. Prior to baen, I had to hunt to find off-the-wall publishers that didn't use DRM so I could get the books on my RB1100 ebook. Since at the time (long time ago) there wern't that many locations that supported the format especially after gemstar bought the original company.

New User
jan14JS
0 Kudos

Re: Sony Reader compatibility

Hi,

Can you borrow books from the public library using the Nook?

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957
0 Kudos

jan14JS wrote:

Yes, as long as the files are in Adobe EPUB (they usually are). See this posting: link.

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

jan14JS wrote:

Hi,

Yes.  Using ADE.  Not directly from the Nook.

Note that according to Adobe's announcement last year the availability of the SDK that Sony would need to include for compatibility was early 2010.

"Availability
Adobe Reader Mobile SDK with social content protection capabilities is expected to be available globally in early 2010. Adobe Digital Editions and Adobe Content Server with social content protection capabilities are expected to be available globally in late 2010. To learn more about Adobe’s eBook platform, visit www.adobe.com/products/contentserver."

New User
rikishihound
0 Kudos

If Sony Readers can read the Adobe Digital Editions and B&N ebooks can be used via Adobe Digital Editons, can the B&N ebooks be transferred via Adobe to be read on Sony Reader?  I really can't afford a Nook but do want more ebook choices than Sony Library offers.