New User
jreggles82
0 Kudos

Re: Sony e-book

Do you know why that is or if it will change? Because I just baught 6 new books from B&N and would like to read them and I don't think that B&N will take returns will they?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

jreggles82 wrote:

Do you know why that is or if it will change? Because I just baught 6 new books from B&N and would like to read them and I don't think that B&N will take returns will they?

Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Apple basically use proprietary e-book formats. If you buy an e-book from one of them, you need to read it on their hardware or software.

Sony originally used a proprietary format, but changed over to Adobe EPUB. Most e-readers (except the Kindle) can handle Adobe EPUB. So Sony e-books can be read on most e-readers.

Barnes & Noble has shared their format with Adobe, and sometime in the future other e-readers will probably be able to read B&N e-books. But for right now, only the NOOK and B&N's reader software for the PC, Mac, and iPhone can read that format.

And no, once you've downloaded an e-book you can't return it. If you only downloaded one, you could return the others.

For the ones you can't return, about the best you can do is to download B&N's reader software for PC, Mac, or iPhone and read them using that.

Contributor
jillybean0617
0 Kudos

Re: Sony e-book gift cards discounted at Target this week

Hi,

I followed your instructions, but when I try to open the books on my nook I get the message:

User not activated

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

jillybean0617 wrote:

Hi,

I followed your instructions, but when I try to open the books on my nook I get the message:

User not activated

Any suggestions?

Thanks

We really need more information here, are you trying to use ADE or the Sony program to get the books onto your nook?

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

I saw the subject line and thought maybe Target was having another sale!  Silly me.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Frequent Contributor
crafty4life
0 Kudos

Re: Sony e-book gift cards discounted at Target this week[ New ]

Hi,

User not activated

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I think this is that deal where you have to install not only the Sony Reader Library Software; but also the Adobe Digital Editions software.  Somewhere in the process of installing these 2 things, you will be asked to sync your computer to your nook and it "activates" you.  Until it asks and you answer, it will not be activated.  You need that before you can sideload any book content from Sony ebookstore.   At the top right of this page, look for the "search" box and put in "adobe digital editions"  or some variation of this-I think there is some information out here somewhere from another post that will describe this in greater detail if you like.

Contributor
monsoonnana
0 Kudos

Thanks, I will try it.

Monsoonnana
Contributor
Shih_Tzu
0 Kudos

My sister, who doesn't live with me, has a sony. I'm considering a 3G Nook. Will we be able to loan each other ebooks?

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Shih_Tzu wrote:

My sister, who doesn't live with me, has a sony. I'm considering a 3G Nook. Will we be able to loan each other ebooks?

The Sony will not read books purchased at B&N.  And this is because, although B&N has provided it's DRM scheme to Adobe for Adobe Digital Editions, apparently Sony chose to disable that ability for the readers. (At least from what I've read) 

However, the Nook will read books purchased at Sony.  I'm just not sure how the sharing portion would work, I've never tried it with a Sony book.

Contributor
Shih_Tzu
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

Shih_Tzu wrote:

The Sony will not read books purchased at B&N.  And this is because, although B&N has provided it's DRM scheme to Adobe for Adobe Digital Editions, apparently Sony chose to disable that ability for the readers. (At least from what I've read) 

However, the Nook will read books purchased at Sony.  I'm just not sure how the sharing portion would work, I've never tried it with a Sony book.

Is there going to be a "Microsoft" in the ereader world?

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Shih_Tzu wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

Is there going to be a "Microsoft" in the ereader world?

There was at one time, the libraries do carry copies of Microsoft eBooks.  Whether there is now or now, I don't know.

Contributor
Shih_Tzu
0 Kudos

I was misunderstood when I asked if there was going to be a 'Microsoft' type eReader. I meant was B&N going to try to be the eReader that all publishers published their eBooks to. If Nook became, I guess the word is 'open source' then everyone would buy a Nook knowing that they could buy the latest book knowing that they could read it. From the way it looks now more books are written for Sony. Am I right or wrong?

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

You can already read a book purchased at Sony on the Nook.  Or at any of the other eBook retailers, except Amazon.  I guess I'm not understanding you.  The Nook reads ePub, it's simply that it is using a different DRM protection scheme that the ePub version used by Sony, Borders, etc.  B&N has provided that to Adobe to include in Adobe Digital Editions, which I understand, they have done.  Sony, however, apparently chose to disable the ability to read books from B&N in their eReader, at least that is the way I understand it.

ePub is, at this time, considered the standard eReaders except Kindle.

Contributor
Shih_Tzu
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

You can already read a book purchased at Sony on the Nook.  Or at any of the other eBook retailers, except Amazon.  I guess I'm not understanding you.  The Nook reads ePub, it's simply that it is using a different DRM protection scheme that the ePub version used by Sony, Borders, etc.  B&N has provided that to Adobe to include in Adobe Digital Editions, which I understand, they have done.  Sony, however, apparently chose to disable the ability to read books from B&N in their eReader, at least that is the way I understand it.

ePub is, at this time, considered the standard eReaders except Kindle.

Thank you for your help. I've spent hours reading all the entries as $199 as a starting figure isn't cheap to my small pocketbook and I wanted to be sure that what I bought would be useful over a long period of time. You answered all my questions and I went from wanting a Kindle to a toss up between a Sony and a Nook. I now have one last question and Nook will have won the war. I understand that when new information is added to the newer Nooks that B&N downloads that info into the older ones. Am I correct? I really hope so. Thanks again for your help.

Inspired Correspondent
amillio
0 Kudos

Yes, when updates are released it is for all current nooks. Michael one of the administrators has admitted there is another update coming, but nobody knows exactly when it will happen. 

Contributor
willaful
0 Kudos

"

1. Download/Install Sony's Reader software. This is kind of a variant of ADE. You do not want to associate .epub and .acsm files with Sony Reader (especially .acsm, or you'll break downloading to Adobe Digital Editions from other stores and the library)."

Alas, I missed this helpful advice until too late. Do you happen to know how to *undo* this mistake? Sony was not helpful.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

willaful wrote:

"

1. Download/Install Sony's Reader software. This is kind of a variant of ADE. You do not want to associate .epub and .acsm files with Sony Reader (especially .acsm, or you'll break downloading to Adobe Digital Editions from other stores and the library)."

Alas, I missed this helpful advice until too late. Do you happen to know how to *undo* this mistake? Sony was not helpful.

Depends on what operating system you are running, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7?  In Windows 7 find an epub file and right mouse click on it, then click on properties in the menu.  Under the general tab it should say type of file and opens with.  Click on Change program and select ADE.

For other versions of Windows, search help for Change which programs Windows uses by default and you should get instructions. 

Contributor
willaful
0 Kudos

Thanks for replying. I'm using MacOSX, 10.6.5.  I'll see if I can figure out the Mac version of your instructions. :-)

Contributor
willaful
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I was able to follow the instructions, but "Reader Library" is still the default; does anyone know how to change it permanently to ADE?