Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005

Sony e-book gift cards discounted at Target this week

[ Edited ]

Via Teleread, via An American Editor:

Target is advertising $25 Sony Reader Store e-book gift cards for $15 through the 17th (Saturday); that's 40% off.

Check out the bottom of page 19 of the weekly ad. It's the almost illegible black rectangle next to the AT&T card.

Teleread notes that the card should be usable on 'Agency 5' books, so here's your chance to "stick it to The Man".

Observation: Target will be carrying Kindle starting the 25th, and Kindle can't use e-books from Sony's Reader Store. Any connection? I dunno.

Updated to clarify: For those who haven't used Sony Reader Store: they don't sell directly from the Web site. You need to buy—and download—e-books from them using their free "reader" software. Your Sony account's e-mail address must be the same as your Adobe ID for Adobe Digital Editions. The e-books you buy will be downloaded into a directory maintained by Sony Reader, and then you can use Adobe Digital Editions to load them into your nook. (If your nook is already authorized by ADE, you should be able to just sideload the e-book normally.)

Reader 4
poodlemomOK

Re: Sony e-book gift cards discounted at Target this week

The Sony Reader Store software is free, all you need to do is download the software.

Doug_Pardee

poodlemomOK wrote:

The Sony Reader Store software is free, all you need to do is download the software.

Thanks. My original wording was confusing. I've changed the wording to something I hope is more clear on that point.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

This is an ingenious idea.  I like it.  B&N should do the same.

Too bad it'd cost me about $10 in gas to drive out to the nearest Target. :smileyhappy:

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

Great deal, thanks for the heads up!  I've never purchased from Sony before and wondered if their books would work on the Nook.

Linda

Inspired Correspondent
jynclr
0 Kudos

mykoffee wrote:

Great deal, thanks for the heads up!  I've never purchased from Sony before and wondered if their books would work on the Nook.

Linda

eBooks purchased from the Sony Reader Store (which is Boarders) do work on the nook. I have one such book on my nook right now that I purchased through the Sony Reader software.

Doug_Pardee

[ Edited ]
mykoffee wrote:

I've never purchased from Sony before and wondered if their books would work on the Nook.

Yes, they work, but the process is just a bit more complicated than elsewhere. I might as well lay it out in detail here.

Normal Adobe Digital Editions setup (one time):

1. Get an Adobe ID. I recommend that a family use a shared Adobe ID so that they can share their e-books.
  2. Download/Install Adobe Digital Editions on your computer.
  3. Activate Adobe Digital Editions with your Adobe ID. Do not use ADE in "anonymous" mode.
  4. Go to "Library>Authorize" and double-check that the correct Adobe ID has been used.
  5. When you're done, you can close Adobe Digital Editions if you want. Or you can leave it open. You'll be using it again after you're done shopping.

Sony Reader Store setup (one time):

1. Download/Install Sony's Reader software. This is kind of a variant of ADE. You do not want to associate .epub and .acsm files with Sony Reader (especially .acsm, or you'll break downloading to Adobe Digital Editions from other stores and the library).
  2. Run the Reader software and go to the e-store.
  3. Create an account at Sony. You must use the same e-mail address as you used for your Adobe ID. For convenience, use the same password. Otherwise Sony will keep asking for your Adobe ID password.
  4. You will be asked if you want to authorize that computer for Sony Reader's e-store. You do.

By the way: you can have up to six computers authorized to the same Sony Reader account at a time, so you may want to download/install/login/authorize on some other computers. If you do, it might be helpful to go to "my account" and near the bottom is a "manage devices" link that will let you give descriptive names to each authorized computer.

Buying e-books at Sony:

1. Use Sony's Reader software to browse the store and buy any e-books of interest. Note: when you buy an e-book, it's automatically downloaded with no messages or anything. Click the "Library" selection in the left column of the Reader to see that you got it okay, then click "e-store" if you want to go back to shopping.
  2. When you're done, you can close the Sony Reader software if you want. Or you can leave it open.

Getting your Sony e-books into Adobe Digital Editions:

1. Start up Adobe Digital Editions if it isn't already running.
  2. Click "Library>Add".
  3. Navigate to where Sony's Reader software stored your downloaded book. On Windows, it's in "My Documents>My Books>Reader Library" (or something like that, I'm going from memory). I don't know where it is on a Mac.
  4. Add the appropriate e-book(s).

Normal Adobe Digital Editions sideload:

1. Plug your nook into your computer if you haven't already. There should be a nook icon in the left column of ADE.
  2. Drag-and-drop your new e-book(s) to the nook icon. If this is the very first time you've put ADE content on your nook, it might ask if you want to authorize your nook. You do.
  3. When you're done, you can close Adobe Digital Editions if you want. Or you can leave it open.

Normal end of sideloading:

1. Eject your nook.
  2. Go to My Documents on your nook.
  3. Touch Check for New Content.
  4. If that fails to find your new e-book(s), turn the nook completely off (5-second power button press) and back on.
Inspired Correspondent
jynclr
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee,

Thank you for the heads up on this. I may pop out and get a couple of cards. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

ABthree
0 Kudos

@Doug_Pardee

Thanks, Doug!  That puts a visit to Target on my To Do List today. :smileyvery-happy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

OMG, the people at my Target are idiots, but that is not news! :smileywink:

They finally found them, actually they found the $50 cards and discounted those because they didn't know where their $25 cards were!

This works out well as I can pop one of those into my daughter's birthday present which includes her new eReader!

ABthree
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

OMG, the people at my Target are idiots, but that is not news! :smileywink:

@FrogAlum

LOL  Sad but true!  The inventory records at MY Target said that they have 12 in stock, but do you think they could find them?  No way!  But they're very nice, if challenged, and gave me a rain check for four that I'll use before it expires on 5/30. It's a pain that the sale doesn't apply on target.com.

Meanwhile, I'll drop by another one tomorrow and see whether they can find them.  Lots of Targets around here.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Correspondent
jynclr
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ok, so I went to Target and came back to report. Seems we have a couple others reporting too, eh?

Well, in this situation I was the ditz. I looked ALL OVER for the gift cards and I finally asked (I hate asking for help) the helpful Target dude in the electronics department where they were.

"Oh, they're right here next to the Sony eReaders," he said, and walked briskly over to them and pointed out a wee stand that had the $25 and $50 gift cards.

D'OH!

I had walked right by there three times! Ah well, at least they had some cards there and I picked up 2. So, to sumarize: look in the electronics department next to the Sony eReader displays first. If they're not there, then ask.

I've already redeemed my codes and now have credit at the Sony eReader store. *lovingly pats nook* :smileyvery-happy:

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

jynclr wrote:

to sumarize: look in the electronics department next to the Sony eReader displays first. If they're not there, then ask.

I probably should've noted that in my original posting. If you dig into the weekly ad link that I posted, turn to page 19, hover over the Sony Reader gift card, and then click the "view details" button, it tells you that it's "Stores only" and "Electronics Dept."

There's no reason that I should expect that anyone's going to go to that kind of trouble to check out the ad. (And why doesn't this board have a smiley for me kicking myself?)

Ah well. Y'all know it now. "Electronics Dept." And don't be afraid to ask if you can't find them.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

My Target didn't have them in the Electronics dept., they don't have them out at all!  They finally found the $50 ones and discounted those...

Here is an article on this from TeleRead.

Inspired Correspondent
jynclr
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

jynclr wrote:

to sumarize: look in the electronics department next to the Sony eReader displays first. If they're not there, then ask.

I probably should've noted that in my original posting. If you dig into the weekly ad link that I posted, turn to page 19, hover over the Sony Reader gift card, and then click the "view details" button, it tells you that it's "Stores only" and "Electronics Dept."

There's no reason that I should expect that anyone's going to go to that kind of trouble to check out the ad. (And why doesn't this board have a smiley for me kicking myself?)

Ah well. Y'all know it now. "Electronics Dept." And don't be afraid to ask if you can't find them.

WHUHT??? You wanted me to .. *ahem* READ??? :smileymad:

hehehe... Yeah, I should have paid more attention to the ad. TOTALLY my bad. What made it worse was that I had gone down that aisle three times, THREE! and had not seen them. :smileysurprised:

I'm SOOOOOOOOO tempted to go down and get another couple of cards ... so very tempted ...

New User
TrixiesMom
0 Kudos

I have a Sony Reader but they don't have the book I want.  B&N has it for their e-reader. Can I download it for my Sony Reader?

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

TrixiesMom wrote:

I have a Sony Reader but they don't have the book I want.  B&N has it for their e-reader. Can I download it for my Sony Reader?

Unfortunately not...  What book is it?

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

@jynclr

I'm pretty sure I'll be hitting up Target again, it just doesn't make any sense not to!  I'm pretty sure Sony won't be going out of business...  :smileywink: