Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Steven Kings newest book will not be in ebook format.

I'm disappoined in him, though honestly, his ebooks are priced so high that the paperback version ARE more in my price range.

http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/stephen-king-to-publish-new-novel-with-hard-case-crime_b52194

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Steven Kings newest book will not be in ebook format.

"Joyland will be coming out in paperback, and folks who want to read it will have to buy the actual book.”

Well, that makes it easy for me.  It won't be on my to-buy list then.

I'm not protesting.  I just have about 200 books waiting to be read that I ALREADY own, so there's no need to have another one sitting around my already-packed house.  Sitting on my nook is another issue, since those don't get dusty or take up space on my bookshelves.

Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard
0 Kudos

"I grew up with as a kid, and for  that reason, we’re  going to hold off on e-publishing this one for the  time being."

So it WILL be in eBook form... just not initially. This isn't much different than how the Green Mile was originally only available as a serial. There's an artistic reason for it, and it's not about an irritional dislike of eBooks. Personally, I don't see this as a big deal... especially since there will be an eBook version eventually.

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/wekempf
Distinguished Correspondent
javabird
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

"Joyland will be coming out in paperback, and folks who want to read it will have to buy the actual book.”

I'm not protesting.  I just have about 200 books waiting to be read that I ALREADY own, so there's no need to have another one sitting around my already-packed house.  Sitting on my nook is another issue, since those don't get dusty or take up space on my bookshelves.

I suspect it will be in ebook form eventually-- I think this move will encourage sales initially at book stores. So,the ebook might be out by the time you finish reading your other 200 books. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

javabird wrote:

keriflur wrote:

I suspect it will be in ebook form eventually-- I think this move will encourage sales initially at book stores. So,the ebook might be out by the time you finish reading your other 200 books. :smileyhappy:

Let's hope that is the plan. And maybe it will be cheaper too! LOL!
Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard
0 Kudos

If you read what I quoted I think it was pretty clear that the plan is to publish an eBook at a later date.

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/wekempf
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
0 Kudos

As I recall StePHen King was one of the first authors to actually make his books available in e-book format.  I would find it hard to believe that he wouldn't publish any book in e-book format.  

That said, it clearly states in the referenced article that he his only holding off on e-book publishing on this one for the time being.

I'm not sure what the initial uproar in this thread was about?

►Without order there is chaos◄
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

His choice.  I buy e-books, and subscribe to e-magazines and e-newspapers.  I simply am not buying paper material any more.  Period.

keriflur
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

As I recall StePHen King was one of the first authors to actually make his books available in e-book format.  I would find it hard to believe that he wouldn't publish any book in e-book format.  

That said, it clearly states in the referenced article that he his only holding off on e-book publishing on this one for the time being.

There was an uproar?

Frequent Contributor
cale
0 Kudos

Any books I really care about I'll buy in hardback anyway, or at least paperback. But, King's book's aren't among those I care much about. I consider his books to be light reading, but that's exactly what an e-reader is good for (and very little else). Seems to me he's cutting off the biggest segment of his audience.

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1

keriflur wrote:

You left out a major part of the quote.  It will be released in ebook just not right away...

Stephen King commented, “I love crime, I love mysteries, and I love ghosts. That combo made Hard Case Crime the perfect venue for this book, which is one of my favorites. I also loved the paperbacks I grew up with as a kid, and for that reason, we’re going to hold off on e-publishing this one for the time being. Joyland will be coming out in paperback, and folks who want to read it will have to buy the actual book.”

keriflur
0 Kudos

Y'all seem to believe that "for the time being" means "We will do it, just not now."  I take that to mean, "We're not doing it now, for sure, and we'll decide down the line what to do down the line."

Now, I DO think that King will release this book as an ebook... eventually.  I really do think that, because of his history of supporting the ebook industry.  BUT, I think to assume that "for the time being" means that he definitely will is presumptuous.

RHWright

This is me just totally conjecturing, but could King be retaining e-book rights for books from this point forward, and thinking of attempting to secure rights for his back catalog, so that he can pull a JKR and become his own e-book publisher?

He's one of the few author out there that I think could make a go of it as well as she has.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957
0 Kudos

RHWright wrote:

This is me just totally conjecturing,

And this is me just totally conjecturing: Hard Case Crime is a paperback publisher. That's how they think of themselves. Their "About" page says,

From World War II through the 1960s, paperback crime novels were one of the fastest-selling categories in book publishing. Millions of readers snapped up hundreds of millions of books by well-known authors like Erle Stanley Gardner and Mickey Spillane, as well as by promising young newcomers like Lawrence Block and Donald Westlake. These inexpensive, pocket-sized novels captured the public's imagination with jaw-dropping cover paintings and bare-knuckled prose that grabbed you by the collar with the first sentence and held you until the last page. No one had published books like that in years.

Until we came along.

Hard Case Crime is dedicated to reviving the vigor and excitement, the suspense and thrills—the sheer entertainment—of the golden age of paperback crime novels, both by bringing back into print the best work of the pulp era and by introducing readers to new work by some of today's most powerful writers and artists. Determined detectives and dangerous women...fortune hunters and vengeance seekers...ingenious criminals and men on the run...Hard Case Crime novels offer everything you want from a great story, all in handsome and affordable editions.

Hard Case Crime doesn't even mention e-books on their site.

Hard Case Crime used to be published by Dorchester, but stopped publishing with them when Dorchester decided to quit publishing paperbacks and go all e-book. (Dorchester's financial situation and slow payments might well have been involved, too.) Hard Case Crime is now published by the UK operation Titan Group, whose limited range of e-books aren't available in the US.

By the way, King worked with Hard Case Crime once before, on the poorly-received novella The Colorado Kid — the lack of any resolution to the mystery put a lot of readers off. That book probably would have remained in oblivion if it weren't for the SyFy network's series Haven which was loosely inspired by the book.

Distinguished Correspondent
javabird
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

Yes, I believe he was the first, which likely helped to give ebooks credibility in the marketplace.

I think he has always been willing to experiment, and the fact that this book is coming out in paperback (not hard copy) shows he sees the medium as part of the part of the product as a whole. 

This thread, like any thread, is about talking about things. :smileywink:

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

I think what surprised me most was that one, there won't be a hardcover edition and 2, as the author most responsible for giving ebooks credibility in the first place, that there's even a question about whether it will be in ebook form at some point. 

Then again, King has had a history of experimenting with publications of his books and this might just be another "let's try this" scenario.

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

This sounds like he's trying to go for a classic pulp paperback feel, almost as if a movie producer deliberately chose to release a movie in drive-ins only. I wonder if he'll arrange for a cheap binding that falls apart the first time you break the spine, and slightly musty-smelling yellowish paper, the way real classic pulp paperbacks were produced.