Contributor
Averhoeven

Suggestion: Book+eBook Combos

A feature I would really like to see would be the addition of book+eBook purchase combos in the store. This would be a great feature for educational books, textbooks, etc in particular. To give an example: textbooks are often large and heavy to lug around, but having them in their bulky physical form is often a necessity of the beast as well. If it were possible to have a quick reference version on my Nook at all times if I wanted a quick refresher on a topic or to look something up that would be great.

There is also that subset of people who are collectors of items in their physical form, but enjoy the portability of electronic forms.

I would hope that such combos would be heavily discounted from purchasing the items individually as you are essentially purchasing the same text twice. You could purchase the latest best-seller in its physical form and then, for possibly a $5 surcharge, also get the eBook version for your Nook. If nothing else, it could give you an instant-access head-start to whatever online purchase you just made.

A perfect example of this is how Amazon is now doing something nearly identical with many of their movies. If you purchase a DVD of many movies you gain instant access to it via their Video on Demand service (for free) as well.

Inspired Correspondent
debiant
0 Kudos

Re: Suggestion: Book+eBook Combos

I second this, but this would probably have to be a publisher decision.  They should provide an ebook copy with the physical book. 

Contributor
Averhoeven
0 Kudos

Yeah, I'm sure it is up to the publishers, however I figured that if B&N knew there was interest they might be more inclined to speak with them about it.

New User
jacksinn
0 Kudos

Some of the tech/programming books I buy are from No Starch Press and they have Book/eBook bundles. It's pretty cool and I hope to see the major book retailers or publishers offer the same. It'd be cool if when you purchased a physical book in a brick-and-mortar an ebook redemption code would be printed on the receipt. If you purchased from the website then a dl code could be delivered via email or jsut automatically added to your account.

All in all, it would be a fairly easy process programatically. The hard part is convincing publishers that the internet isn't just the future - it's the right now.

Reader
JP_Behrens
0 Kudos

This option is the only thing I'm really waiting for in choosing an eBook reader.  If I can buy my music and movies then transfer them to my Zune/iPod, the publishing industry should jump on this as well.

-JP-

Contributor
bleaker
0 Kudos

B&N is planning on testing Book+eBook Bundles. I just hope the discount is reasonable. It won't be terribly economical to pay $15 for a dead tree version and then $10 for the eBook. In other words, the bundling should not be the same thing as buying two copies of the book. Heck many DVDs you buy these days bundle a digital version of the movie with them. That would be pretty awesome for Books+eBooks.

Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

I don't know if B&N should try bundling.  They would probably need permission from their masters to do something like that.

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
New User
Tater91
0 Kudos

I have been saying this from the very beginning!!!! I especially like the idea now because I am attending school to be a teacher. There are many books that I would like to read myself on my nook, but I would also like many of those books in physical form for myself and for my future students to read. I beg B&N to do this!! I would definitely pay an extra $5 for it!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Tater91 wrote:

I have been saying this from the very beginning!!!! I especially like the idea now because I am attending school to be a teacher. There are many books that I would like to read myself on my nook, but I would also like many of those books in physical form for myself and for my future students to read. I beg B&N to do this!! I would definitely pay an extra $5 for it!

B&N can't do this, it is up the publishers.  Remember that BN doesn't get the eBook for free, so even if they could bundle it with a HC book, they'd need to cover the costs of both the HC and eBook, which would be more than an additional $5.  Given that for at least 70% of eBooks, they don't even get to set the price of the book, it's doubtful they can do this, even if it was cost effective.

And, since the original post was made in 2009, and we still haven't see it happen, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Contributor
Shinwa
0 Kudos

It's a good idea! But most good ideas don't get done..

Strange this one hasn't though. B&N can work with the publishers to get it done I'm sure.

Shinwa

Inspirational Quotes of the Saints and Saints' Books - free e-book downloads.
Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

It's a great idea, with absolutely no economic incentive on the part of the publishers or B&N to implement.

As it stands, if you want a DTB & eBook, you pay for both at whatever market price is.

Using some hypothetical and oversimplified math, in this scenario:

Take a hardback (from an Agency publisher), list price $30, & its ebook equivalent.

B&N pays ~$12 to the publisher for the hardback (and can price it however they want)

Publisher is likely to set an ebook price around ~$15, of which they will keep $10.50, paying their "agent", B&N, $4.50

Revenue for publisher: $22.50

Revenue for B&N: $4.50, plus mark-up on HB, lets say $6=$10.50

Now, assume you can get the publisher to agree to a +$5 combo, assuming no other percentages change:

RfP: $15.50

RfBN: $6

Again, for simple math, let's assume that, as is, a core of 10,000 readers will pay for both under the current separate plan. Total RfP: $225,000; Total RfBN: $105,000

Now we can safely assume (about the only safe assumption in this line of logic) that at least the same number of readers would take advantage of a combo price as would pay the higher separate prices. But obviously there's some reduced revenue if no one else takes advantage of the better pricing.

The reduction in revenue hits B&N the hardest. They still pay the same for the hardcover regardless. For B&N to break even on the deal, sales need to go up nearly double, to 17,500. (Publisher likes this as it puts them about $46,000 up in revenue.) Or B&N would need to raise their price on the hardback by $4.50, which is not a winner in this pricing scenario.

I'm no analyst, but I don't think dropping the ebook price will increase sales 75%. And for this to be seen as a really good idea by all parties, that figure would probably have to be closer to 200%.

And this assumes there is no impact on stand-alone hardback sales from ebook buyers using the combo to get a cheaper ebook, then turning right around and putting their "like new" hardcover on ebay, selling it to a used book store, or giving it away.

I know it feels like a good idea. Alot of that comes out of the "creating ebooks costs so little" idea—which I won't go into here.

But when you look at the numbers, this is just impossible. Businesses (agents & publishers) might be willing to take a small hit on bundles for that extra bit of revenue. But all the suggestions I've seen here and elsewhere seem to be in the +$2-5 range. That would be great if normal ebook prices were $4-7 for these publishers. But they're not. More like $10-15. Nobody's gonna take that kind of hit to their revenue, without some solid numbers that say a huge surge in unit sales is going to more than make up the difference.

Again, not an analyst. Just my amateur opinions.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Canadian publisher ECW to do free e-book with book purchase

The Canadian independent publisher ECW Press is going to let you request a free e-book copy when you buy a print copy of any of their Spring 2012 titles. Just send them an email including the book title, the name of the store where you purchased it, your receipt number, and whether you want PDF or EPUB.

ECW says that they don't expect any significant loss of sales, because few people buy both the printed book and the e-book. They expect to gain by establishing closer communication with their customers; the e-book will come with a plug to join ECW's mailing list.

Officially, this only applies to their new Spring 2012 titles. However, if you buy a new copy of one of their backlist titles, you can always ask. If they happen to have that title in e-book and have the rights to distribute it, they'll send it to you.

According to Publishers Weekly, Canadian publisher Coach House Books is working on a similar initiative.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Re: Canadian publisher ECW to do free e-book with book purchase

Doug_Pardee wrote:

The Canadian independent publisher ECW Press is going to let you request a free e-book copy when you buy a print copy of any of their Spring 2012 titles. Just send them an email including the book title, the name of the store where you purchased it, your receipt number, and whether you want PDF or EPUB.

ECW says that they don't expect any significant loss of sales, because few people buy both the printed book and the e-book. They expect to gain by establishing closer communication with their customers; the e-book will come with a plug to join ECW's mailing list.

Officially, this only applies to their new Spring 2012 titles. However, if you buy a new copy of one of their backlist titles, you can always ask. If they happen to have that title in e-book and have the rights to distribute it, they'll send it to you.

According to Publishers Weekly, Canadian publisher Coach House Books is working on a similar initiative.

This sounds great.  And, I agree about there not really being much if any loss of sales and also about getting closer/more intouch with your customer base.  For most of us, buying it (any media actually be it music, movies/TV or books) once will be enough until such time as it breaks.  I don't really know too many people who change out their media library just because a new format comes along.  I could see them building up some (limited) customer loyalty from it.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
New User
vivapd
0 Kudos

I can't imagine that this should cost the store anything to do and would keep bookstores in business!  So many stores are going the way of Borders and shutting down, in a large part because of ereaders.  I read books on my iPad but would love to have the actual book when at the pool or the beach.  This could be part of the BN membership that for a dollar more with most purchases the ebook is sent directly to your device when purchasing the book. 

A book can be shared where an ebook can not.  This service would be a great motivator to get the book!

Bibliophile
bklvr896

vivapd wrote:

I can't imagine that this should cost the store anything to do and would keep bookstores in business!  So many stores are going the way of Borders and shutting down, in a large part because of ereaders.  I read books on my iPad but would love to have the actual book when at the pool or the beach.  This could be part of the BN membership that for a dollar more with most purchases the ebook is sent directly to your device when purchasing the book. 

A book can be shared where an ebook can not.  This service would be a great motivator to get the book!

Why do you think this wouldn't cost the stores anything?  They have to pay the publisher for the ebook regardless of how much they sell it for or of they give it away for free.  Just because its a file instead of a book doesn't mean they don't have to keep track of the number of copies they sell (or give away) and pay the publisher the agreed to price for each one.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

vivapd wrote:

Why don't you just invest in an eink nook like the NST for your beach reading?  They're fairly inexpensive right now and will allow you to read all of your existing and future nookbooks in bright sun.