New User
charlessmith1973
0 Kudos

THE ZOMBIE CHRONICLES: Survivors Book 1 Part 1

I hope everyone will check out my new read, I am doing it "episodic" so I can get them posted faster, I would love to hear what everyone thinks, its the first time I have posted a book on Nook. I think its a good read, specially if you like zombies, takes all the "Hollywood" out of the zombie genre and brings it all down to brass-tax....Please take a look, here's the link and synopsis

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/THE-ZOMBIE-CHRONICLES/Charles-Smith/e/2940012194053/?itm=1&USRI=zom...

Synopsis

Alex McKowan had a normal life, good friends, a good job and a nice home in the country, far removed from the hustle and bustle of the city.
By all accounts things were going great--then events beyond his control and spiral his life into a nightmarish fight for survival.
Now Alex is in a daily battle; not only against wave after wave of undead horror but against fear, solitude, paranoia and starvation.
This is the first exciting episode of The Zombie Chronicles: Survivors!

Inspired Contributor
ajrosen
0 Kudos

Re: THE ZOMBIE CHRONICLES: Survivors Book 1 Part 1

FYI - it's "brass tacks", not "brass tax".

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Bibliophile
Jenniisme

Everytime I post it's blank!

OP, at 3.99 I personally wouldn't purchase a part 1 book. I am pretty sure others wouldn't either. If you're going to piece meal your book you should charge accordingly.

Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing
0 Kudos

If it includes free updates, I'd be much more interested. 

The way B&N works is that if you update the book, a user can archive and redownload the newest version, much like a magazine.

I'm quite surprised authors haven't realized they can sell a serialized version and have revenue from the get-go. 

While people may be dubious of novels, think moreso of a cookbook, updated 12 times for 12 months. 

Now, this takes some infrastructure, like a mailing list to notify people when a new update is available, but, to me, it makes a lot of sense.

If I come across a book that I think has valuable content to begin with, and I know that the content will be expanded (which I won't have to pay for), hell yeah!  Sign me up.

I don't especially think that novels are the best way to sell something serialized (depending on the author/reputation), but cookbooks and other hobbies are a honeypot to exploit. 

For the author, it let's you start selling early on without having a 'complete' book.  For the consumer, they get free updates.   Though in all cases, I think the original purchase should be substantial enough to stand on it's own.  In a novel, that may mean a short story that has it's own 3 acts and comes to a conclusion, at least of that first segment.  cliffhangers are welcome, but please don't let it stop mid-chapter without anything being resolved. 

I'll likely try this myself with a kid's book.  12 serialized episodes, with gradually increasing price for each episode if you are a new purchaser, but those who get in on the first episode, have the lowest price and don't need to buy new 'episodes', they just get them free.  I might even sell those episodes as individual books as well if you don't want to buy the whole catalogue.

Just a little thinking outside the box.

Think of a book selling at $5 and with each new episode, the price goes up by a dollar or so.  $5 for 12 essentially individual books is a great price.  Towards the end the price increases would minimize so it doesn't end up a $20 book, but I hope all see the possibilities here (including the possibility of getting screwed if not updated).

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
bwg
Inspired Contributor
bwg
0 Kudos

Hello,

I think "serial novels" are a brilliant idea...and if done well and the value is there, then I have no problem buying individual "episodes."  In fact, I am doing that now with another author: it's a 10 part series, one "episode" per month for the next 10 months.  Personally, it keeps the novel "fresh" and exciting in my mind.

The only question I have is: do you already have the other parts "scheduled" and how long is the first part?  I may check it out.

Cheers!