Reply
Frequent Contributor
suzatm07
Posts: 45
Registered: ‎06-22-2010
0 Kudos

Tell the publisher......

Before BN changed their online bookstore format you were able to click on a button to let the publisher know that you would like to see a book in ebook form.  After the format change to the online bookstore, I can no longer see the button.  I sent an email to customer service inquiring and this is the response I received:

 

"We have checked the problem and the "Tell the Publisher" link is
actually working just fine.

We know that NOOK Book enthusiasts are eager to see more and more titles
in digital form, and we're adding them on a daily basis -- so if you
don't see a title you're interested in, please check back often.

Also, we invite you to click on the link "Tell the Publisher You Want
this In NOOK Book Format" under the title you would like to see in
digital format to notify the publisher instantly.

Ultimately, it's the publisher's call whether to offer a title in
digital format. Sometimes, publishers decide not to offer an digital
version, even if (or especially if) a book is popular in print. For this
reason, some very popular books and series are not yet available. But we
are committed to bringing you the best selection of NOOK Books anywhere.

We hope you find this information helpful and invite you to visit us
often at www.bn.com to see our latest selections."

 

 

Is there anyone who CAN see this publisher link when they are in the online BN bookstore?



Correspondent
scjohanson5
Posts: 126
Registered: ‎11-07-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Tell the publisher......

I haven't found it either.

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
Posts: 632
Registered: ‎04-13-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Tell the publisher......

I don't see it as well.  Did you send a screen shot when you inquired about it?

Distinguished Correspondent
PBReilley
Posts: 179
Registered: ‎08-14-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Tell the publisher......

It is present if you are using Internet Explorer as your browser (not my browser of choice). It does not appear in Firefox or Chrome.

 

I used Allen Drury's "Advise and Consent" as an example.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,812
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Tell the publisher......

[ Edited ]

PBReilley wrote:

It is present if you are using Internet Explorer as your browser (not my browser of choice). It does not appear in Firefox or Chrome.

 

I used Allen Drury's "Advise and Consent" as an example.


Well, maybe I'm just blind but I'm not seeing it even in IE.  Where exactly do you see it?

 

I tried using the option in Chrome to see the page in a IE based tab, still don't see it.

 

I did look at the source code for the page and there's code for it, but something is preventing it from displaying.

Distinguished Correspondent
PBReilley
Posts: 179
Registered: ‎08-14-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Tell the publisher......


bklvr896 wrote:

PBReilley wrote:

It is present if you are using Internet Explorer as your browser (not my browser of choice). It does not appear in Firefox or Chrome.

 

I used Allen Drury's "Advise and Consent" as an example.


Well, maybe I'm just blind but I'm not seeing it even in IE.  Where exactly do you see it?


 

Forgot to add, I was using IE8.

 

"NOOKbook (eBook) - not available 

Tell the publisher you want this in NOOKbook format"

 

is right above the tab for

"Customer Reviews", and below the "Format: Hardcover" text.

 

The page looks like the old B&N site. It appears very different in Firefox and Chrome.

 

 

Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,812
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Tell the publisher......


PBReilley wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

PBReilley wrote:

It is present if you are using Internet Explorer as your browser (not my browser of choice). It does not appear in Firefox or Chrome.

 

I used Allen Drury's "Advise and Consent" as an example.


Well, maybe I'm just blind but I'm not seeing it even in IE.  Where exactly do you see it?


 

Forgot to add, I was using IE8.

 

"NOOKbook (eBook) - not available 

Tell the publisher you want this in NOOKbook format"

 

is right above the tab for

"Customer Reviews", and below the "Format: Hardcover" text.

 

The page looks like the old B&N site. It appears very different in Firefox and Chrome.

 

 


I have IE8 installed and that's what I was using.  I see the new site, looks just like it does in Chrome.  I wonder what the difference is?  It's a mystery I guess.  

Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard
Posts: 496
Registered: ‎06-10-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Tell the publisher......

I'm using IE9. Whether I run it in compatibility view (should be exactly the same as IE8) or not, there's no button and/or link for this anymore. It's certainly not working correctly, in any event, so the e-mail from B&N is wrong. B&N should be looking into this.

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/wekempf
Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,812
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Tell the publisher......


sirwillard wrote:

I'm using IE9. Whether I run it in compatibility view (should be exactly the same as IE8) or not, there's no button and/or link for this anymore. It's certainly not working correctly, in any event, so the e-mail from B&N is wrong. B&N should be looking into this.


I agree.  I tried it today at work running IE8 and still no button.  Someone needs to copy that response, and tell them, no, for most of us it is not working.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
Posts: 3,933
Registered: ‎12-28-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Tell the publisher......

Sam, the Community Manager was notified of this, said the link would or should return, a few weeks ago. Since then, no word that I am aware of.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Frequent Contributor
suzatm07
Posts: 45
Registered: ‎06-22-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Tell the publisher......

I sent another email to customer service advising them to read this post so they could see that there are a lot of people who cannot find the tell publisher button.  This is the response I received:

 

Thank you for writing to us about our new website design.

We reviewed your concerns regarding the "Notify the Publisher" button.
Your feedback is very important to us at Barnes & Noble and we
appreciate your taking the time to send us your opinion. We assure you
that we have reviewed the issues you have raised with the appropriate
people on our design team and they are under consideration for
implementation. We truly value your patronage; your online shopping
experience is extremely important to us.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may cause
and we thank you for your patience.

It truly makes you wonder just where their customer service reps are sitting and if they have ever been on the BN website at all.

 

 

Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,812
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Tell the publisher......


suzatm07 wrote:

I sent another email to customer service advising them to read this post so they could see that there are a lot of people who cannot find the tell publisher button.  This is the response I received:

 

Thank you for writing to us about our new website design.

We reviewed your concerns regarding the "Notify the Publisher" button.
Your feedback is very important to us at Barnes & Noble and we
appreciate your taking the time to send us your opinion. We assure you
that we have reviewed the issues you have raised with the appropriate
people on our design team and they are under consideration for
implementation. We truly value your patronage; your online shopping
experience is extremely important to us.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may cause
and we thank you for your patience.

It truly makes you wonder just where their customer service reps are sitting and if they have ever been on the BN website at all.

 

 


I got the same email back from them today. Personally, I couldn't figure what they were saying cause they don't need to implement anything, they just need to fix it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
Posts: 1,619
Registered: ‎10-21-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Tell the publisher......

Welcome to your scripted response. :smileyvery-happy:

 

E-mail inquiries to B&N basically seem to get identified by issue "type"—in this case your problem with the new website layout—and then given a pre-formatted, scripted response that is not customized to address specific questions. This rarely, if ever, actually answers the original question.

 

That larger issue aside, it's been indicated in other threads that they are aware of this specific issue and working to fix it.

Wordsmith
steffiebaby140
Posts: 397
Registered: ‎04-06-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Tell the publisher......

It should be noted that B&N email customer service is useless lol.  Half the time the response you get has nothing to do with what you were writing about, or its a scripted blow off to get you to go away.  Phone customer service is much better, so I'd stay away from the email customer service as much as possible...it will just frustrated you and make your brain want to explode.

In a perfect world the chicken would be able to cross the road without his intentions being questioned.
Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,812
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Tell the publisher......


steffiebaby140 wrote:

It should be noted that B&N email customer service is useless lol.  Half the time the response you get has nothing to do with what you were writing about, or its a scripted blow off to get you to go away.  Phone customer service is much better, so I'd stay away from the email customer service as much as possible...it will just frustrated you and make your brain want to explode.


Scripted responses tend to be standard for most companies for the first email.  I've found that if you reply to the first response, you will get a more detailled/specific response back the 2nd time.  Annoying, yes, but I can understand why they do it.  Probably a good portion of the time, the question is answered and considering what I would assume is a large volume of email, having an an actual person to read each email would probably make the wait time on the response unbearably long, resulting in people sending 2nd emails, which ultimately makes the problem worse. 

 

I just generally reply to the first email and I've pretty much always gotten a more specific response back.

Frequent Contributor
JimJoe
Posts: 62
Registered: ‎11-19-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Tell the publisher......

When I was using FF2.0.18, just two weeks ago, I saw the reply button in here.

 

But I upgraded to FF 3.0.19, and the reply button is gone.

 

So I have to use IE 8 to post in here. I prefer FF, but I'll use what I have to use to get around the web site after  logging in.

 

Let me set my own genre suggestions. Owner of 3 ereaders.
Reader
Mystery_Man
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎10-21-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Tell the publisher......

At least you got an answer - I have asked several times what is up and why it can't be fixed and gotten no answer

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
Posts: 895
Registered: ‎01-25-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Tell the publisher......


JimJoe wrote:

When I was using FF2.0.18, just two weeks ago, I saw the reply button in here.

 

But I upgraded to FF 3.0.19, and the reply button is gone.

 

So I have to use IE 8 to post in here. I prefer FF, but I'll use what I have to use to get around the web site after  logging in.

 


3.0.19 is pretty old, maybe you mean 3.6.19?  I haven't had any issues using FF with B&N's website including these forums so perhaps you have a plug-in that's creating an issue?

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
Contributor
Tollio81
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎11-25-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Tell the publisher......

Just another Nook user stating that the feature on the B & N website -- the button to let the publisher know that you would like to see a book in ebook form -- doesn't show up for me either.  Bring it back and quit giving BS answers to.  This isn't a hard change to make to the website -- the only thing I can come up with is their interfaces or connections to all of these publishers when someone presses the link doesn't work.  Just figure it out already.

Contributor
ilovepooh
Posts: 11
Registered: ‎09-24-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Tell the publisher......

I used to be able to see & use the tell the publisher link, but it's no longer there.  These posts are from 2009 and 2010, and I purchased my nook in Sept 2010 and was able to use the tell the publisher link until about 5 months ago or so.  This makes me wonder if use of the link is limited to a period of time or a certain number of uses.  I've tried it in Firefox, Internet Explorer 8 & 9.  It all looks the same without a link.

 

I also emailed B&N and received the same email you did and when they said to use the link, I asked if they had even read my email.  I then received a second canned email, which one of you has also received - that they would notify the appropriate people. 

 

I wish they would give a straight answer and just tell us we've used up our allotment or whatever the deal is.