Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Re: The NOOKbook Correction Thread (Meta-data/Formatting)

You can also try sending a PM to BN_AlexG, who is the Community Manager on these boards.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@underarock:

While I understand your frustration, the listing page you selectively screenshot is intended as a portmanteau listing for multiple editions of the book: new paperback, various used, and NOOK. The large image to the left is for the first edition listed: the paperback.

This seems pretty clear.

The confusion comes in because the page design doesn't make it clear that you need to expand the NOOK Books section of "All Available Formats + Editions" to see who is publishing the eBook edition(s) and that it may bot be the same as the edition at the top of the page. The need to do this needs to be made blatantly obvious.

In this expansion, it is clear that the $0.95 edition is by MobileReference.

However, I agree with you that, with the given layout, the natural assumption is that "Buy Now" option for the eBook would be a Penguin edition.

Experienced users of the site will be used to the many convoluted evolutions of the site's design. But B&N shouldn't assume this. It needs to be designed with the first-time user in mind.

Sure, the price would have tipped an experienced user off to something that warranted a further look before purchase. But a first-timer? They'll just assume that it's a really good bargain.

All of this factors into a fairly strong argument for some consideration from B&N in making an exception to the no returns on eBooks policy. I know it's barely a $1, but it's the principle. It won't hurt to politely ask if you have the time/patience to call and speak to a CS supervisor.

Worst case scenario, it's a fairly cheap lesson, but that doesn't change the fact that it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

BTW, this is not really an error in the book or listing, just really poor site design. So probably warrants posting in a different thread or creating a new one.

Contributor
fkm71
0 Kudos

I have found an issue in Chapter 14 of Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins.  I don't have my Nook with me at the moment but it was only a couple of pages into the chapter.  At my font size it is between where Katniss is talking about her promise to kill Snow and the paragraph that talks about the "bright" minds.

Contributor
Phenicia_Barimen
0 Kudos

It seems that not only my Nook Color but the PC version of this book shows up with no apostrophes  through the whole book - which makes it a bit daunting to read.

Everything else with it seems to be fine, and I can't find a copy of this in print close by to see if this is more than a ebook issue. I've tried in both publisher defaults and text format incase it was a format issue and no luck.

Heidegger's Glasses  

Contributor
Phenicia_Barimen
0 Kudos

Pardon, its been one of those days. Quotation marks. Not apostrophes. (Though I think those are missing to), but other punctuation is there. 

New User
RJVamp
0 Kudos

Title: Unwelcome (Archangel Academy Series #2)

Author: Michael Griffo

ISBN-13: 9780758253392

Issue/Error location: Page 12

First part of second sentence: He liked how it felt and so he kept his eyes closed even though he wasn???t sleeping,......

The ??? means that the character code can't be read. So I'm assuming an incorrect code was put in other than the one for apostrophe. It shows up as ??? on my computer but as three blocks on my iPad nook. The blocks are rather annoying. Appreciate it!

New User
RJVamp
0 Kudos

Title: Slave Boy

Author: Evangeline Anderson

ISBN-13: 9781596327542

Needs a total review ??? everywhere and shows up as blocks on my iPad nook. Character codes need to be checked!!!! All these blocks and ??? really kill the whole thing.

Contributor
VileZero
0 Kudos

Title: Dead Harvest

Author: Chris F. Holm
ISBN-13: 9780857662187

This new release does not have a thumbnail cover art. I was told this is the place to report that kind of information, so I hope I'm in the right place!

Frequent Contributor
karlpov
0 Kudos

An easy way to add cover art on any epub is to

1) get the reader Calibre (useful for scads of things such as stripping DRM from B&N ebooks and others, and converting between various formats);

2) import the book into the Calibre list (which means it will make an extra copy under a Calibre Library folder);

3) use the metadata edit feature to browse to a cover image (this feature will check two or three places, plus you can navigate to an image you've saved on your PC); and finally

4) "covert" the book from epub to epub.

As well as adding the cover you should make sure you are happy with the metadata shown, especially for title and author. Also, in the title listing, make sure language is visible and that it is correct. When you create the new epub, all the corrections will be incorporated into that file. If you simply make chages using the metadata editor, the program will go by those changes but will not change the original epub file.

Frequent Contributor
karlpov
0 Kudos

ISBN-13: 9780982441466

The current Free Fridays book, Sylvia Nobel's The Devil's Cradle, misspells her surname as "Noble" in the metadata.

Frequent Contributor
karlpov
0 Kudos

Dead Game, Kirk Russell, ISBN 9780811873680

This ebook does not show anything for the author even though it has an opf:file-as="" (sic) in the <dc:creator>. Also the <dc:title> is given as DEADGAME (all caps, one word).

Frequent Contributor
Didact
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The Fifth Elephant (Discworld Series)

ISBN: 9780061020407

Formatting: One of the footnotes is wrong on page 260. It should be "A kind of pastry made from curtains." The ebook has "whatever name Vimes rec," which looks like something they accidentally copied and pasted from the main text.

Frequent Contributor
Didact
0 Kudos

Actually it's "whatever the name Vimes rec," and it is indeed part of a sentence from the main text.

Frequent Contributor
karlpov
0 Kudos

The Story of O, Pauline Reage, ISBN-13: 9781105645846. A chunk of text has evidently been lost on page 74, around the heading "(BM) III - Anne-Marie and the Rings". The sentence before the heading ends without being finished, and the sentence after starts in the middle and is unrelated to the previous incomplete sentence.

Scribe
TarHeelGirl00
0 Kudos

Becoming Fearless, by Michelle Aquilar, ISBN-13: 9780781407731

After page 27, pages are missing until page 44.

Frequent Contributor
Wayfarer58
0 Kudos

I jut bought Joel Richardson's newest book Mideast Beast. Chapter 1 ends several pages early! He was explaining 7 things that one needed to keep in mind, and at the end of item 6 it says "So the three primary emphases of Biblical prophecy are:" then it lists one and goes on to chapter two! It deosn't finish point 6 and doesn't even get to point 7.

What should I do? Is there anybody to call?

Any help will be most appreciated.

Dave

“I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.” - Groucho Marx
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Wayfarer58 wrote:

I jut bought Joel Richardson's newest book Mideast Beast. Chapter 1 ends several pages early! He was explaining 7 things that one needed to keep in mind, and at the end of item 6 it says "So the three primary emphases of Biblical prophecy are:" then it lists one and goes on to chapter two! It deosn't finish point 6 and doesn't even get to point 7.

What should I do? Is there anybody to call?

Any help will be most appreciated.

Dave

Have you tried rebooting (powering off, then back on) your NOOK?  Sometimes this will fix these kinds of problems. 

Frequent Contributor
Wayfarer58
0 Kudos

Yes, I've done all that, as well as archive and unarchive. Problem still persists. I am currently working with the publisher and hope to have a resolution soon.
“I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.” - Groucho Marx
Frequent Contributor
Wayfarer58
0 Kudos

FWIW, the publisher and the author of the book in question have contacted me and we'e gotten the whole issue straightened out.
Reader 4
Longclaw
0 Kudos

eBook Cover Art for Wheel of Time Books

Hopefuly this is the correct thread to post this.

The following Wheel of Time Books have the incorrect cover art.

Book 01 - The Eye of the World

Uses the cover art of the new Trade Paper edition

Book 05 - The Fires of Heaven

Uses the cover art of the new Trade Paper edition

Book 12 - The Gathering Storm

Uses the cover art of the Trade Cloth edition

Book 13 - The Towers of Midnight

Uses the cover art of the Trade Cloth edition

Just find it kind of annoying that TOR went through the trouble of making new cover art for the eBook editions and for them to be either not used (Books 12 and 13) or used and then switched to another versions artwork (Books 01 and 05)