Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

The NOOKbook Correction Thread (Meta-data/Formatting)

[ Edited ]

This thread is where you post any issues with NOOKbooks including:

• meta-data -   This includes issues with the title, author name, International Standard Book Number (ISBN), NOOKbook cover.
  • Formatting - Actual content of the NOOKbook having errors such as spelling errors, missing words or sections.

When you post on this thread please include the following:

• NOOKbook Title
  • ISBN
  • Where it applies, the specific page(s) where the issue(s) is found.

Please remember the following:

Formatting corrections can take some time because we do have to go back to the publisher to make these requests so there usually is no ETA.

Not all NOOKbooks contain covers being that publishers do not have the rights for the cover in NOOKbook format.

When a correction is made to access the corrected version please Archive then Unarchive or Remove Local Copy of that NOOKbook on your NOOK or NOOK App.

Inspired Contributor
NomDePlumeIL
0 Kudos

Re: The NOOKbook Correction Thread (Meta-data/Formatting)

[ Edited ]

Michael-V wrote:

This thread is where you post any issues with eBooks including:

• meta-data -   This includes issues with the title, author name, International Standard Book Number (ISBN), eBook cover.
  • Formatting - Actual content of the eBook having errors such as spelling errors, missing words or sections.

When you post on this thread please include the following:

• eBook Title
  • ISBN
  • Where it applies, the specific page(s) where the issue(s) is found.

Please remember the following:

Formatting corrections can take some time because we do have to go back to the publisher to make these requests so there usually is no ETA.

Not all eBooks contain covers being that publishers do not have the rights for the cover in eBook format.

When a correction is made to access the corrected version please Archive then Unarchive or Remove Local Copy of that eBook on your NOOK or NOOK App.

That sounds great but how will we know when a book has been corrected?

Inspired Correspondent
SHissong
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Since I got my Nook in May, I have read two Stephen King books (Stand and  Under the Dome).  Both of these books had a ridiculous amount of spelling mistakes.

I did not include examples but just thought you could pass it on to the publishers.  You would think that they would have some type of spell check.

Thanks Michael.

Inspired Contributor
ajrosen

[ Edited ]

I'd like to know why we get stuck with defective ebooks until/if the publisher fixes it. If we buy a DTB with that many mistakes, we would be able to bring it back to the store for a refund. Is there any logic behind the policy of no refunds for a defective product?

Not to mention that you are having the customers do the work of the editors and publishers here.

Correspondent
scjohanson5
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have noticed that pointing out a missing cover helps.  I let an author know about a missing cover on one of her books, and it appeared a couple of weeks later.

Distinguished Correspondent
javabird
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Michael-V, thankyou for creating this thread. We appreciate B&N following up on these.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@ajrosen,

I have sent you a PM.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@SHissong,

I will pass it along but as I stated in the OP can you please just point out some specific pages and specific errors.  This allows for a more expedient turnaround.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@NomDePlumeIL,

I have asked our correction teams to notify me when these corrections have been completed so that I can then post as a reply here on this thread with the update. 

But, as stated in the OP corrections can take some time because we do have to go back to the publisher to make these requests so there usually is no ETA.  This thread I created may help the turnaround time though....

Correspondent
scjohanson5
0 Kudos

Cover image not available for Macavity Award Winner- A Trace of Smoke

A trace of Smoke won the award for best historical mystery.  It deserves a cover

A Trace of Smoke (Hannah Vogel Series #1)

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright

[ Edited ]

@ajrosen:

I see your point that some accommodation for refunds on books with significant problems (missing sections, for example) needs to be made, given the open-ended/no ETA timeframe of getting problems corrected.

I do feel you are missing the point of this thread when you say:

Not to mention that you are having the customers do the work of the editors and publishers here.

This thread is here because many contributors on this board have been asking for it for some time. No one is expecting us to do the "work of editors and publishers." We asked for a system where the errors that get past the professionals can be easily reported.

Yes, what passes for QA and copyediting on some titles from some publishers is, well, shameful. But except for some extreme examples, I've mostly seen minor, if annoying problems that are formatting related (often due to OCR conversions) and simple copyediting mistakes. These happen in DTB as well and stand out to me mostly because I spend a large part of my day, well, copyediting.

I, for one, am glad that B&N puts these formal threads for suggestions & input out there rather than having to deal with a zillion threads on bad copyediting, book & magazine availability, etc.

Inspired Correspondent
CyborgQueen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Under the Dome  

Since I kind of just started this book, I can help out here. However, there were a few mistakes that I didn't record. I'll bookmark them as I go by. To me, it's not that hard (slightly annoying), but anything to help.

Formatting: The right side could be stretched out a little more. At almost every page (not all of them - pg 196 where it ends "...everyone in town just gets a bad scare..." for example, the lines are further down compared to the other pages), there's a lot of real estate that could use up 3 to 5 lines on medium sized.   If the real estate of nook is used up better = less clicking for the users = less chances of getting a crack (not 100% sure on this, but I would assume that problems with the buttons could be exacerbated with the number of clicks. 

Spelling errors: Page 106: eBook says, "...with their wives and families or to the controlled tburn in Castle Rock."  

I've never heard of tburn. :-)

Shoot - I thought I had more that I bookmarked. I'll keep my eye out for any further errors. I know there was a few.  I'll definitely add to my list. 

Correspondent
scjohanson5
0 Kudos

No cover art -My Soul to Take by Yrsa Sigurdardottir

My Soul to Take  This book has been on my wish list for awhile.  Waiting for a price drop and hopefully a cover

Correspondent
scjohanson5
0 Kudos

Re: No cover art -all 23 of Peter Lovesey's ebooks

The House Sitter (Peter Diamond Series #8)

These have been on my wishlist for about nine months and none of his 23 ebooks have cover art.  An example-

Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies
0 Kudos

errors in Kresley Cole's novella

[ Edited ]

Thank you for this thread!  I've been hoping for something to be formalized like this for some time.

The first book (that I can think of) is "Playing Easy to Get", an anthology by Sherrilyn Kenyon, Jaid Black, and Kresley Cole.  The ISBN is 9781416527244.  I've only read the final piece, by Cole, "The Warlord Wants Forever", so I have no idea what sorts of typos the other two stories/novellas might have.  But in Cole's piece, the beginning of every italicized word or phrase loses its spacing from the preceeding word.  Thus, instead of " Against him. "  we get " Againsthim. "  Cole's writing includes a LOT of italicization, so these happen ALL OVER the place.  On pages 130 and 131 alone, the typos include:

Againsthim

werestill on her

watchingDecisive Battles

vampires.A blood foe is...

ahe who fights and runs away...

I have verified that the punctuation actually lacks a space by opening the book in nook for PC and running a search; in this case, Againsthim pulls up that page, but Against him cannot be found.

Not only was this obviously not read by a human, but no one could have run spell check, either.

Frequent Contributor
Starearedkid
0 Kudos

Re: No cover art -My Soul to Take by Yrsa Sigurdardottir

Weep No More My Lady by Mary Higgins Clark; Publisher Simon and Schuster

ISBN # 9780743206167

This book is missing the entire prologue. 

Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies
0 Kudos

errors, Kresley Cole

The first book in Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series, "A Hunger Like No Other", ISBN 9781416523000, has more of the same typos.  on page 9, we have

ishis fire

and

her.Need her.

Again, these are just the errors on the first page of text; there are many more.  Briefly paging through the next couple books in this series doesn't reveal the same sort of errors.

Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies
0 Kudos

cover art, The Devil in Winter

Also, while I realize that cover art may not be available, it would be fun to have if it is.  And "Devil in Winter" by Lisa Kleypas, ISBN 9780061793516, doesn't display with cover art.  However, on NOOK for PC, it displays in full cover on the first page.  ?

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

All the Mercedes Lackey books I've bought have multiple and obvious OCR errors in them.  I didn't write them all down, though.  They include: Magic's Pawn, Magic's Promise, and Magic's Price.  I'm currently reading By the Sword by Mercedes Lackey and it has the same thing.  Again, I didn't write anything down while I was reading it.  The most obvious of these is merc (short for mercenary).  Every single time it should say merc, it says mere, instead.  And the word is used *a lot* in this book since it's the main character's profession.  I don't have page numbers for you, though.  

By the Sword (Kerowyn's Tale Series #1) 

I wish I could be more help.  It just never occurred to me to write down all the mistakes while I was reading and I don't have the time right now to go through the books and look for all the mistakes.

Fran

Frequent Contributor
Starearedkid
0 Kudos

Re: No cover art -My Soul to Take by Yrsa Sigurdardottir

[ Edited ]

Double post by accident.