Frequent Contributor
lilk
0 Kudos

Ebook not complete...will it be replaced??

In March of this year I purchased ( receipt no. 129996230) Priviliged Witness by Rebecca Foster and it is downloaded on my nook and ipad (nook app).  I've recently been in contact with the author and she tells me that the book is not complete.  I dutifully checked my copy both on the nook and ipad and verified with her that it is in fact not complete.  She states that the book has 48 chapters and ends with the words "Not exactly justice, is it?"  Both my nook and ipad have 45 chapters and ends with the words "What's the world coming to?"  She responded back to me that chapter 45 doesn't even end with those words.  There is clearly something wrong with this file.

Ms. Foster stated that she has replaced the file with B&N and hopes to have it up soon but that it might take 8 weeks. 

I've checked the file size on B&N (there are two selections) and one states that the file size is 219kb with 376 pages and the other states 244kb with no page count.  Amazon states 391kb with a page count of 384.

I paid for this book and need to know if B&N will be updating my purchase when the new file is uploaded so that I may have the complete reading experience.

Do I call technical support or customer service??

Karen / lilk13

Howzit, from Hawaii

lilk

http://thebookendsreviews.com
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

Re: Ebook not complete...will it be replaced??

When the corrected e-book is made available to B&N, you'll be able to redownload and get the correction. At the moment, though, there's no notification process to let you know that an e-book's been updated. You might need to archive/unarchive occasionally to see if the updated version is there yet.

Reader
FenGiddel64
0 Kudos

No breaks in text in Asimov's Magazine of Science Fiction digital magazine

[ Edited ]

Why are there no breaks in the text so you know when the introductory piece has ended and the story has begun?  Also: there are not visual breaks (blanks, etc.) between parts of the story when a new scene has begun.

Who do I need to communicate this to? Is it a B&N thing or the publisher?

Distinguished Correspondent
Coanda-1910
0 Kudos

Re: No breaks in text in Asimov's Magazine of Science Fiction digital magazine

[ Edited ]

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss - page 565 (on the nook) cuts off in the middle of the sentence with a random page break after just two lines of text, and continues on page 566.

Your product page says "ISBN: 1101147164"; I assume that's correct.

Correspondent
sharno22
0 Kudos

Formatting or transcription problem

Title:  A Blunt Instrument

Author: Georgette Heyer

ISBN-13 9781402246982

ISBN  1402246986

Problem:  Improper word breaks on nearly every page starting with first page of book.  Example:  "blue eyes frown ing" on page 5.  Also, sentence breaks with line spaces and asterisks as in the following from page 10:

"with his hands.  Can I do anything? I should like to,

only

I don't know what."

I wouldn't complain if the word breaks were occasional, but there are so many of them that it's really quite hard to read the book.  Would appreciate any assistance in helping put this book to rights.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: No breaks in text in Asimov's Magazine of Science Fiction digital magazine

@Coanda-1910,

Where in the text does this happen?  What chapter and what are the two lines of text before the page breaks?
Inspired Correspondent
SHissong
0 Kudos

Re: The NOOKbook Correction Thread (Meta-data/Formatting)

At the end of The Dark Tower II  on page 321 (in The Pusher, Chapter 4, Section 16) the font changes in the middle of a paragraph and there is line spacing that should not be there.  It is at the end of the page.

Contributor
Catski23
0 Kudos

Formatting issues in NOOKbook samples (Michael V.)

I have been reading the very lengthy sample of 160pp. from David McCullough's latest book The Great Bridge and within the 160 pages of text, 3 times along the way passages of 5 to 10 pages have been repeated word for word and I was beginning to think that I had lost my place, but it never happened.Large chunks were just duplicated verbatim.

The second formatting problem was for a book that I reently heard discussed on NPR called The Boy: A Holocaust Story. The body of the sample as formatted perfectly, but the glossary of terms is not directly centered and everything in the right margin is cut off and unreadable and as some of the terms are in German, undecipherable. I understand and appreciate that samples can have mistakes, but since these books will be on my ewishlist, I will be waiting to buy them, but less apt to do so unless these issues are recognized and hopefully rectified in the files of each entire book. Thanks, Michael!

Cat in San Diego:smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: Formatting issues in NOOKbook samples (Michael V.)

@Catski23,

Which (specific) text is repeating in "The Great Bridge"?

Contributor
zbarika
0 Kudos

A Lesson in Passion by Jennifer Connors, ISBN 978-0-9824655-0-9, has multiple formatting/font related issues starting with the Dedication page (page 7) where 5 lines of text are all partially superimposed.  

At the start of Chapter 11, the font size changes from medium to small.  After the first paragraph in chapter 12 (pp. 204-205) , the font again increases and the next ten paragraphs have all lines of text partially superimposed over each other.  The first line of the next paragraph is fine, the rest of that paragraph has superimposed text.  

The last paragraph of Chapter 12 has the font size reverting to small, which continues through the first paragraph of Chapter 13.  in the second paragraph of Chapter 13, the font size increases again and remains that size until it decreases again for the last paragraph of Chapter 13 and the first paragraph of Chapter 14.  The pattern of font decreases for the last paragraph of one chapter and the first chapter of the succeeding chapter continues through the beginning of Chapter 16 and then picks up again at the end of Chapter 17.  The pattern of font decreases is continued through the beginning of Chapter 22.  It starts again with the end of Chapter 23 and continues through the end of the novel.

Contributor
Catski23
0 Kudos

Re: Formatting issues in NOOKbook samples (Michael V.)

Pages 109-118 & 151-160

The passage beginning "Roebling had concluded, his son Washington would write in jest,... " and end with " In 1844, at age thirty-eight, he got his first real commission as an engineer. A prize of one hundred dollars had been offered in a notice..." 

Thanks for the quick response Michael. Sorry I didn't know where to properly post it.

Inspired Correspondent
MarkinStLouis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Armageddon's Children by Terry Brooks.

ISBN-13: 9780345495532

ISBN: 0345495532

ISBN-13: 9780345495532

ISBN: 0345495532

Chapter 11 of this book is missing all but the last 2 pages of the chapter.  I have tried reading it on my Nook, along with apps on my PC and iPhone.  The page numbers don't jump.

Inspired Correspondent
MarkinStLouis
0 Kudos

Wow, not sure what's going on with that last post: I didn't type all that in multiple times: it just posted that way.  Tried to edit it, and it only tried to make it worse.  Weird.

New User
Xavionite
0 Kudos

I recently received a Nook as a gift and I have been using it a great deal over the last few days. The most recent books I read have far too many errors--spelling, missing punctuation, missing spaces between words, errors in capitalisation, random italics--for me to think of reporting them all here. Someone needs to go through each book page by page to make corrections.

The titles are:

The Wind Harp (by B.J. Hoff)

• ISBN-13: 9780736932899
  • ISBN: 0736932895
  •  

The Song Weaver (by B.J. Hoff)

• ISBN-13: 9780736932264
  • ISBN: 0736932267
  •  

(These two books are part of a trilogy. Interestingly, I did not notice problems in Book One).

Now I am reading Thorn in My Heart (by Liz Curtis Higgs)

• ISBN-13: 9780307553096
  • ISBN: 0307553094
  •  

I started this book (which I have read before in a printed version), and I found 10 errors on page 9 alone. Most of these are missing apostrophes; twice the word "gentle" is rendered as "gende"; once the word "kettle" comes out as "ketde", and once a quotation mark has a unnecessary space between it and the word that follows. Considering the beginning of this book, I am not optimistic that the editing of subsequent pages will be any better.

Needless to say, I am not all that impressed with my initial foray into e-reading. Hoff and Higgs are excellent writers, and I believe they would be as disappointed as I was at the lack of care given to converting their work into e-books.

Wordsmith
    Michael-V
    0 Kudos

FYI.  All postings have been reported thus far....please continue posting if you have issue...Thanks.

Inspired Correspondent
    SHissong
    0 Kudos

The Waste Lands  

The title of this ebook is inconsistent with the rest of the series. 

All of the others are titled Dark Tower I, II, IV, V, VI, VII.

New User
    C13bug
    0 Kudos

Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy Series #6)

ISBN: 9781101475119

The problem is that all the apostrophes and quotation marks have been replaced with question marks.

New User
    cherry1092
    0 Kudos

Overview - Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy Series #6)

Product Details

• Pub. Date: December 2010
    • Publisher: Penguin Group (USA)
    • Sold By: PENGUIN GROUP (USA) KIRKWOOD -
    • Format: NOOKbook (eBook)
    • Sales Rank: 1

All of the quotation marks are ? marks. All of apostrophe's are ? marks and the book is borderline unreadable. There are a ton of extraneous characters as welll.

Reader
    ZX6RGirl
    0 Kudos

As others have posted, I am having issues with Last Sacrifice as well. The punctuation has been changed to '?'. It makes it difficult to read.

Overview - Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy Series #6)

Product Details

*Pub. Date: December 2010

* Publisher: Penguin Group (USA)

* Sold By: PENGUIN GROUP (USA) KIRKWOOD -

* Format: NOOKbook (eBook)

* Sales Rank: 1

* Series: Vampire Academy Series , #6

* File Size: 423 KB

* ISBN-13: 9781101475119

* ISBN: 1101475110

* Available only in the U.S

Wordsmith
    Michael-V
    0 Kudos

@Xavionite,

Corrected versions have been posted for:

The Wind Harp (by B.J. Hoff) EAN 9780736932899

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/books/product.aspx?EAN=9780736932899

The Song Weaver (by B.J. Hoff) EAN 9780736932264

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/books/product.aspx?EAN=9780736932264

To access these please do the following:

On the NOOK,
    1.Tap on "My Library" from the Home screen (all of these steps are done in your "Library" on your NOOK)
    2. Highlight the NOOKbook or NOOKperiodical (that you were unable to access) and tap "View Item Details & Options".
    3. Then tap "Archive" and follow the on-screen prompts
    4. Then tap "Check for New B&N Content" and wait for it to complete.

Once this update is completed, then you want to Unarchive the NOOKbook or NOOKperiodical in order to re-download the content

1. Ensure that you are still in My B&N Library section of My Library
    2. Navigate to and Highlight the NOOKbook or NOOKperiodical you want to download (it should be grayed out).
    3. Tap "View Item Details & Options".
    4. Tap "Unarchive." and then tap "ok"
    5. Then tap "Check for New B&N Content" and wait for it to complete.

You should now have access to that NOOKbook or NOOKperiodical..