Inspired Correspondent
CyborgQueen
0 Kudos

Re: The NOOKbook Correction Thread (Meta-data/Formatting)

More errors for Under the Dome.  Half way done, so I'll keep my bookmarks as I go along, and hopefully the errors are fixed soon.   Micheal-V: I'm not sure if you want me to wait until I'm done with the book, or do it as I go along?

eBOOKUnder the Dome 

eISBN # 978-1-4391-6803-5

ISBN# 978-1-4391-4850-

Errors as follows word-for-word: (italics is my comments)

pp: 248

"Big Jim said in a rueful thejoke's-on-me voice."

Obviously, there should be a space between the and joke. 

pp: 249

"...you'll love the feelin when Big Jim's dealin!"

It happens frequently, where a " ' " should be added. Like em, it should be 'em, or feelin', dealin', etc. This is throughout the entire book. I'm not sure if it's absent in paperback, but it is a little bit annoying not to see it. 

Throughout the whole book: perfect example on pp: 307

"...Rusty stopped by the Democrat  's office..." 

When an italicized word is used with 's, there tend to be a few spaces between the word and the 's. Annoying.  It's seen throughout the whole book. I think it's just a format issue, but if they italicized the 's, it should be fine. 

pp. 308

"What had happened to Reverend Cog-gins was a bit more brutal..."

No hyphen. It is Coggins

pp. 309

"Which was good -- the essence of smalltown life, in fact."

"Smalltown" should be separated in two words, small and town. :-)

pp. 313

"More important than ever, don't you t'ink?"  It was exactly what she t'ought, and Julia had told him so."

No "h" in think and thought? It doesn't look like "slang" to me, like thinkin', etc. 

pp. 363

" Bill Wicker calls out indignantly. "My wife sent me down for aigs!" "

What the heck is aigs?! I think if you say it out loud, it sounds like eggs. This guy is at a supermarket, so it has to be something related to food.  This one got me pretty stumped! 

pp. 379

"... but Big Jim reckoned it was close enough for government w--"

Okay...it looks like a word is missing after 'government'. Totally doesn't make sense.  

pp. 405

"Chief Randolph and Jackie Wetting-ton emerged from..."

Wettington is a single word due to character's last name, no hyphen

That's it for now! I've seen several others, but they're just a different spelling, so I double checked to make sure it's correct.  Chaise Longue, was one of them.  It is correct spelling, but in America, I believe it's spelled Lounge (even my spell check says that's wrong). Other words such as goddam, and scrip got me a little stumped, but with a little research, they're acceptable spelling.  So I can see why people think they're spelled wrong, but it's just a different dialect (even though Stephen King is American. LOL!)

Again, I'll update any errors as I come across them, give me another 200 pages or so.

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

CyborgQueen wrote:

More errors for Under the Dome.  Half way done, so I'll keep my bookmarks as I go along, and hopefully the errors are fixed soon.   Micheal-V: I'm not sure if you want me to wait until I'm done with the book, or do it as I go along?

eBOOKUnder the Dome 

eISBN # 978-1-4391-6803-5

ISBN# 978-1-4391-4850-

Errors as follows word-for-word: (italics is my comments)

pp: 248

"Big Jim said in a rueful thejoke's-on-me voice."

Obviously, there should be a space between the and joke. 

pp: 249

"...you'll love the feelin when Big Jim's dealin!"

It happens frequently, where a " ' " should be added. Like em, it should be 'em, or feelin', dealin', etc. This is throughout the entire book. I'm not sure if it's absent in paperback, but it is a little bit annoying not to see it. 

Throughout the whole book: perfect example on pp: 307

"...Rusty stopped by the Democrat  's office..." 

When an italicized word is used with 's, there tend to be a few spaces between the word and the 's. Annoying.  It's seen throughout the whole book. I think it's just a format issue, but if they italicized the 's, it should be fine. 

pp. 308

"What had happened to Reverend Cog-gins was a bit more brutal..."

No hyphen. It is Coggins

pp. 309

"Which was good -- the essence of smalltown life, in fact."

"Smalltown" should be separated in two words, small and town. :-)

pp. 313

"More important than ever, don't you t'ink?"  It was exactly what she t'ought, and Julia had told him so."

No "h" in think and thought? It doesn't look like "slang" to me, like thinkin', etc. 

pp. 363

" Bill Wicker calls out indignantly. "My wife sent me down for aigs!" "

What the heck is aigs?! I think if you say it out loud, it sounds like eggs. This guy is at a supermarket, so it has to be something related to food.  This one got me pretty stumped! 

pp. 379

"... but Big Jim reckoned it was close enough for government w--"

Okay...it looks like a word is missing after 'government'. Totally doesn't make sense.  

pp. 405

"Chief Randolph and Jackie Wetting-ton emerged from..."

Wettington is a single word due to character's last name, no hyphen

That's it for now! I've seen several others, but they're just a different spelling, so I double checked to make sure it's correct.  Chaise Longue, was one of them.  It is correct spelling, but in America, I believe it's spelled Lounge (even my spell check says that's wrong). Other words such as goddam, and scrip got me a little stumped, but with a little research, they're acceptable spelling.  So I can see why people think they're spelled wrong, but it's just a different dialect (even though Stephen King is American. LOL!)

Again, I'll update any errors as I come across them, give me another 200 pages or so.

Your examples of combined words and extra words look good except for 1) smalltown is a usage King makes consistently in the DTB...perhaps he has a reason for combining the words, I'm uncertain. 2) T'ink, t'ought, and aigs are colloquialisms that are used in the book and "aigs" is Southern for "eggs." :smileywink: (I'm Southern so I'm allowed, lol) 3) "Close enough for government work" is a fairly common expression, at least I think it is. The "w_" would indicate an interrupted thought, I imagine. 4) Chaise longue is the correct spelling, even in America. "Lounge" is an example of an oft repeated misspelling that has begun to creep into dictionaries. 

The hyphenated words are OCR errors so those are great to mention.

Inspired Correspondent
CyborgQueen
0 Kudos

Tim40744 wrote:

Your examples of combined words and extra words look good except for 1) smalltown is a usage King makes consistently in the DTB...perhaps he has a reason for combining the words, I'm uncertain. 2) T'ink, t'ought, and aigs are colloquialisms that are used in the book and "aigs" is Southern for "eggs." :smileywink: (I'm Southern so I'm allowed, lol) 3) "Close enough for government work" is a fairly common expression, at least I think it is. The "w_" would indicate an interrupted thought, I imagine. 4) Chaise longue is the correct spelling, even in America. "Lounge" is an example of an oft repeated misspelling that has begun to creep into dictionaries. 

The hyphenated words are OCR errors so those are great to mention.

Thanks!! I had no idea that's how King uses his words. I've never heard of aigs, and I tried looking it up on the web, and it's not there. Maybe I'm researching it wrong? :-)

the w_   was not an interrupted thought/statement, at least the way I'm reading it.  Yeah, I learned about the longue word with *cough* Wikipedia. So I learned something new.

Thanks for clearing up some of the words for me! :-)  This is my second Stephen King book, so it's been ages since I read Pet Semetary. So, I don't recall his language. 

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@slow_reader,

Are you trying to open that NOOKbook with the NOOK?

Contributor
Capnrandm
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

I was very excited to find this thread.  I've been attempting to report several formating issues for three recently purchased NOOKbooks through the "contact us" e-mail link and the B&N customer service line, both with differing degrees of frustration.  I wish they would have directed me right here!

I have recently purchased three books by the author Kresley Cole (titles and ISBNs below), and was attempting to read them on my iPhone Nook app.  First off, I do know how to change both font and margin when using the Nook app, the issues described below were not able to be fixed through any software adjustments.

"A Hunger Like No Other" (978-1416509875) and "If You Dare" (978-1416540946)- Incorrect margin formating.  Even on the smallest margin and smallest text, the book has a quarter of an inch margin on either side and the app can only display about 4-5 words per line.  Distracting, but readable.

"The Captain of All Pleasures" (978-0743466493) and "If You Dare" (978-1416540946) - The main issue is incorrect font formatting.  It can be seen as early as the Acknowledgements in "The Captain...", and in each chapter of the book.  "If You Dare" has small type on the dedication and opening quotes, but the body text appears fine.  The font is formated not to respond to the app's size settings, and is so small it is unreadable on the screen.  I've opened "The Captain" with a Nook for PC reader, and it's readable, but still does not respond to any font size changes.

Thanks for your help, sorry for the barrage of description!  Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Missing cover art (aka "Image Not Available") for two books:

The Name of the Rose

Foucault's Pendulum

Since I have the DTB versions, they'll stay parked on my wishlist till this gets fixed. I have a $50 GC burning a hole in my pocket, but it will probably go to other titles now.

Contributor
Miss_Moneypenny_1953
0 Kudos

The Great Kansas 'Raries'

NOOKbook: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)

ISBN-13: 9781411433557

ISBN: 1411433556

Spelling error:

Chapter 1, first sentence: Dorothy lived in the midst of the great Kansas raries, with Uncle Henry, who as a farmer, and Aunt Em, who was the farmer's wife.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

I'm reading The War for Late Night, and there is an intermittent problem with apostrophes.

i.e., on page 42:  "Ross was aware that ABC?s entertainment executives..."

In addition, O'Brien regularly appears as O?Brien.  As you can imagine, in a book almost entirely about Conan O'Brien, this can get a bit...annoying.  

What's weird is that there are plenty of other places where apostrophes appear absolutely fine. Including only a few lines above and below the errors. 

I'm only up to page 93 in reading, so I'll flag if any other types of problems appear later on.  

Frequent Contributor
xamier
0 Kudos

I downloaded the sample for Cold Spring by Rick Riordan. At first I was pleased, it is over a hundred page sample, but it restarts 2 or 3 Xs. Going back to the beginning or to the beginning of another chapter.

I wouldn't consider purchasing this book in case it is as messed up as the sample.

Xamier
Beware shiny objects that are free, for in this world there are no shiny objects that are free...Darkkin

Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies
0 Kudos

italics problems in Masques

There are italics problems throughout Patricia Briggs' novel "Masques", eISBN 9781101443590.  Pretty consistently, when a word is italicized, it runs into the word after it, deleting the needed space.  The problem is throughout the novel, and occurs often enough to be pretty obnoxious; I'll list the problems that occur in the Prologue for illustration, but note that they are NOT the only places with errors.

page 15:  hishumanity

himselftogether

page 16:  Histrap

page 17:  beena

page 19:  Go away,he

Whitecat5000
0 Kudos

I got this book about a week ago.  

Curran

It was in English but now when I went in to re-read it, it's now in German.

I'm not sure why.

Contributor
Smoke-And-Ink
0 Kudos

Samples with duplicate text

A number of samples I've downloaded (most recently Ponzi's Scheme by Mitchell Zuckoff) have long sections of text repeated.  The sample of Ponzi's Scheme is ostensibly 111 pages, but:

Chapter 1 begins on page 15;

The text continues properly until page 35, which contains the start of chaper 1;

The text then continues until page 68, reading the text of pages 15-35 again and an additional 13 pages;

the text returns to the text of page 56, which is also where it left off on page 35;

text reads from page 68 to page 77, where it starts chapter 1 AGAIN;

text reads to page 110, interrupting after the same paragraph as on page 68;

the sample resumes with text from page 64 (and page 105), and concludes one page later.

The result is that there are only 33 unique pages of story where there are 96 expected.  Those 33 pages appear twice in contiguous blocks.  A separate section contains 20 contiguous pages of the 33.  Another section contains 9 pages; a fifth block duplicates a single page.

The content of the 20-page block appears three times in the sample, as does the 9-page block and the single-page fifth block.  What gives?

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Regarding "The War for Late Night", in the future please remember to include the EAN.  I have added it.  FYI.
Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@xamier,

Can you give me more specifics?  Remember:

This thread is where you post any issues with NOOKbooks including:

When you post on this thread please include the following:

• NOOKbook Title
  • ISBN
  • Where it applies, the specific page(s) where the issue(s) is found.

Please remember the following:

Formatting corrections can take some time because we do have to go back to the publisher to make these requests so there usually is no ETA.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@Whitecat5000,

Regarding "Curran" try this...

On the NOOK,
1.Tap on "My Library" from the Home screen (all of these steps are done in your "Library" on your NOOK)
2. Highlight the NOOKbook or NOOKperiodical (that you were unable to access) and tap "View Item Details & Options".
3. Then tap "Archive" and follow the on-screen prompts
4. Then tap "Check for New B&N Content" and wait for it to complete.

Once this update is completed, then you want to Unarchive the NOOKbook or NOOKperiodical in order to re-download the content

1. Ensure that you are still in My B&N Library section of My Library
2. Navigate to and Highlight the NOOKbook or NOOKperiodical you want to download (it should be grayed out).
3. Tap "View Item Details & Options".
4. Tap "Unarchive." and then tap "ok"
5. Then tap "Check for New B&N Content" and wait for it to complete.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: Samples with duplicate text

@Smoke-And-Ink,

Regarding "Ponzi's Scheme", in the future please remember to include the EAN.  I understand that the issue is with the sample.  I have reported it.  FYI.

Whitecat5000
0 Kudos

Michael-V wrote:

@Whitecat5000,

Regarding "Curran" try this...

On the NOOK,
1.Tap on "My Library" from the Home screen (all of these steps are done in your "Library" on your NOOK)
2. Highlight the NOOKbook or NOOKperiodical (that you were unable to access) and tap "View Item Details & Options".
3. Then tap "Archive" and follow the on-screen prompts
4. Then tap "Check for New B&N Content" and wait for it to complete.

Once this update is completed, then you want to Unarchive the NOOKbook or NOOKperiodical in order to re-download the content

1. Ensure that you are still in My B&N Library section of My Library
2. Navigate to and Highlight the NOOKbook or NOOKperiodical you want to download (it should be grayed out).
3. Tap "View Item Details & Options".
4. Tap "Unarchive." and then tap "ok"
5. Then tap "Check for New B&N Content" and wait for it to complete.

Michael,

It tried and it didn't work.  The book is showing up on the website still as a German book with this description:

Bevor Sie weiterlesen, muss ich Sie warnen: Dies ist keine Kurzgeschichte oder ein Teaser für ein Buch. Dies ist eine Sammlung von Szenen, die von Gordon Andrews begleitend zu unserer Kate Daniels Serie verfasst wurden. Die Szenen illustrieren die Sichtweise von Curran, Herr der Bestien von Atlanta, dem Herrscher über das Rudel der Gestaltwandler.

I don't think it's a Nook problem and more of a website problem.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Re Curran:

That's a Smashwords e-book. Both English and Deutsche versions are available on Smashwords. I suspect that Smashwords sent the wrong version on their latest update "tape". I think the best bet is going to be to contact the author and/or Smashwords.

very-simple
0 Kudos

Michael-V wrote:
Regarding "The War for Late Night", in the future please remember to include the EAN.  I have added it.  FYI.

Will try to remember for next time (I did include a direct link to the nookbook on B&Ns site).  By the way, I've finished the book at this point, and the problems persisted throughout, in addition to question marks also periodically replacing quotation marks (in addition to apostrophes), but often only on one half of the quote - very confusing.  

I assume the problem is that some of the quotes and apostrophes were the over-formatted "smart" quotes, which often can't get translated correctly in electronic formats as compared to "straight" quotes.  

Contributor
Miss_Moneypenny_1953
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

NOOKbook: Christmas Carol, The Chimes, & The Cricket on the Hearth (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)

ISBN: 141143191X

Spelling error:

The chapters regarding The Cricket on the Hearth read as

CHIRD THE FIRST

CHIRP THE SECOND

CHIRP THE HIRD

(I also noticed this particular Barnes & Noble classic offers the cover scan, unlike so many others.)