Contributor
teacherguy66
0 Kudos

Re: The NOOKbook Correction Thread (Meta-data/Formatting)

[ Edited ]

@StephieJo,

Please archive then unarchive NOOKbook: Christmas Carol, The Chimes, & The Cricket on the Hearth (Barnes & Noble Classics Series).

I have tried archiving and unarchiving A Christmas Carol, as listed above, but I still have the wrong text on page 35 until page 37.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@Catski23,

An "UNABLE TO COMPLETE THE OPERATION..." message indicates that there is some kind of issue with the credit card in the account.

Unregistering your NOOK, then removing and re-adding the cc (as long as it is a valid cc) then re-registering your NOOK should fix the problem.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@teacherguy66,

Try to follow these steps exactly as they are written out....

On the NOOK,
1.Tap on "My Library" from the Home screen (all of these steps are done in your "Library" on your NOOK)
2. Highlight the NOOKbook or NOOKperiodical (that you were unable to access) and tap "View Item Details & Options".
3. Then tap "Archive" and follow the on-screen prompts
4. Then tap "Check for New B&N Content" and wait for it to complete.

Once this update is completed, then you want to Unarchive the NOOKbook or NOOKperiodical in order to re-download the content

1. Ensure that you are still in My B&N Library section of My Library
2. Navigate to and Highlight the NOOKbook or NOOKperiodical you want to download (it should be grayed out).
3. Tap "View Item Details & Options".
4. Tap "Unarchive." and then tap "ok"
5. Then tap "Check for New B&N Content" and wait for it to complete.

You should now have access to that NOOKbook or NOOKperiodical..

Contributor
teacherguy66
0 Kudos

Michael-V wrote:

@teacherguy66,

Try to follow these steps exactly as they are written out....

On the NOOK,
1.Tap on "My Library" from the Home screen (all of these steps are done in your "Library" on your NOOK)
2. Highlight the NOOKbook or NOOKperiodical (that you were unable to access) and tap "View Item Details & Options".
3. Then tap "Archive" and follow the on-screen prompts
4. Then tap "Check for New B&N Content" and wait for it to complete.

Once this update is completed, then you want to Unarchive the NOOKbook or NOOKperiodical in order to re-download the content

1. Ensure that you are still in My B&N Library section of My Library
2. Navigate to and Highlight the NOOKbook or NOOKperiodical you want to download (it should be grayed out).
3. Tap "View Item Details & Options".
4. Tap "Unarchive." and then tap "ok"
5. Then tap "Check for New B&N Content" and wait for it to complete.

You should now have access to that NOOKbook or NOOKperiodical..

Thank you for the response.  I still had trouble archiving and unarchiving that book to get the corrected version.  It was not clear to me when I was supposed to tap "Download" and then "Read".  It took me a couple of tries to discover that step comes after step five above.  If you do it immediately after tapping "Unarchive" and "OK", it doesn't work.

New User
tkc7605
0 Kudos

Re: Formatting issues in NOOKbook samples (Michael V.)

Hi. I have a few issues to report:

I recently read the Random House ebook In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. ISBN: 978-1-58836-165-3 v3.0. The biggest issue with this book is that chapter IV downloaded twice. Chapter IV starts on p. 229 and then repeats on p.311, after the end of the book on p.310. I do seem to recall some typos and grammatical or formatting issues, but not near as many in this book as in

the Bantam Dell ebook The Onion Field by Joseph Wambaugh. ISBN:978-0-307-48912-8 v3.0.
The formatting throughout this book (I am currently on p. 275 of 380) is horrible. I have seen hyphenated words where hyphens were not required, extra spacing between words, and no spacing between words. I have seen sentences run together because of missing punctuation.

examples: p.275: "Did you call yourself a. stupid jerk?"

p.273: "..they can really use the ma-  jority rule." and later same page "..from the lips ofthat poor woman.."
p. 267, last word, "var-   ious". The extra spaces between words show up on nearly every page.
Get it? I'm sure the next reader would appreciate it if the publisher could clean up these versions.
Thanks
Distinguished Correspondent
booklover128
0 Kudos

Genghis 

Genghis  

Genghis  

All 3 books are downloading with only the name Genghis - it would be nice to see the whole name to help differentiate them.

New User
MikeRman
0 Kudos

I just got my Color Nook and downloaded my first ebook- The War for Late Night. I was very disappointed to see that every apostrophe was instead a question mark.

So whenever its supposed to say Conan's it shows Conan?s and NBC?s instead of NBC's.

I tried changing fonts- but that didn't help.

Do we get a refund or a credit for something like this? I don't understand with such a popular book how that can happen.

Thanks for any advice and help.

Whitecat5000
0 Kudos

and Falling, Fly  does not link with 

And Falling, Fly

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@MikeRman,

Please include the following when you post on this thread (as noted on the OP):

• NOOKbook Title
  • ISBN
  • Where it applies, the specific page(s) where the issue(s) is found.

So I need this data above for the NOOKbook "The War for Late Night" that you're stating has these issues.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@tkc7605,

Regarding The Onion Field by Joseph Wambaugh. ISBN:978-0-307-48912-8 v3.0. please archive then unarchive.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@Whitecat5000,

Thanks for pointing this out!  I have reported this (and all other previous correction issues on this thread) and received feedback that and Falling, Fly should be linking correctly shortly.

New User
tkc7605
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response, Michael. I did as you said, I will let you know if I have any more trouble. Happy New Year!  :smileyhappy:

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

Bloody Valentine Hardcover and NOOKbook not linked

Bloody Valentine (Blue Bloods Series #7)

ISBN 9781423134497

Bloody Valentine

ISBN 9781423147299

Reader 4
lotesse
0 Kudos

Title: Bloom-Again Orchids: 50 Easy-Care Orchids that Flower Again and Again and Again
Author: judywhite
ISBN-13: 9781604691337
ISBN: 1604691336

Missing photographs throughout the book. Below is one example.

Example (read using nook for PC, 2 page view):

Page 18: There are two photographs referenced on this page.

"(left) When repotting your orchid...too much. " This photograph is missing. And no the photograph on page 19 is NOT the one referenced by this caption.
"(right) Spray an infested orchid plant...the spray drips." This photograph is present.

This occurs regularly throughout the book whenever two photographs are referenced as (left)/(right). However, some photographs referenced as (inset) do appear but at least one does not.

Missing photographs.

Example:

Page 27

"Brilliant color and repeat blooming are highlights of sun-loving Ascocenda hybrids like Fuchs Baby Doll (right), Brighton Fuchsia (left), and Orange Sparkler (page 9, top)."

Orange Sparkler does appear on the following page (page 28 in ebook format with current font/size). One photograph appears on page 27 (ebook) which I believe is Brighton Fuchsia (not all that familiar with this group of hybrids). No matter how you look at it though there is one photograph missing.

These are NOT the only missing or incorrect photographs.

I love my nook and my nookColor. I love my ebooks. I do NOT love being treated like a second-class citizen by publishers because I want to be able to take my books with me wherever I go. I paid for a complete book. I did not get a complete book.

Is there any way to tell if an ebook has been updated/corrected?

Thank you for listening.

Reader
evila_elf
0 Kudos

If this is not allowed, please let me know!

I have been saving several books from other sources and some PDFs for the day I would get an eReader. I have been using Calibre to convert to ePub format.

Common problems I have been running across are paragraphs broken up into two, which makes dialogue a little tricky, and sometimes when there are two lls together, only one will show up. Like wil, tel, etc. Not all of them, but a handful. Is the converting perhaps the problem? Is there something better to use rather than ePub?

Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies
0 Kudos

PDFs are... tricky.  It's true that they don't format well on the NOOK, or most ereaders, for that matter.  This isn't a good thread for this discussion, but if you run a search, you can see what people are doing with Calibre and similar programs.

Whitecat5000
0 Kudos

The nookbook and paperback versions don't link up.  And they also have the wrong synopsis. 

The Big Five-OH!

The Big Five-OH!

TML
Reader 4
TML
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Title: The Federalist Papers (Signet Classic Edition)

ISBN: 9781101212905

Issue / Where it applies:

Page 2-65 of this book consist of a single footnote, on each page, with no context as to what the footnote is regarding (see attached image of how book displays on "Nook for PC" client - same issue is visible in the iPad and the Nook versions of same).

Full View of Page in Nook PC available at http://content.screencast.com/users/TML/folders/Jing/media/4fa8382a-ead2-411d-982a-decb1591bcac/2011...

Correspondent
Trazy
0 Kudos

Homebrewer's Companion

ISBN: 0062018507

Link:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Homebrewers-Companion/e/9780062018502/?itm=1&USRI=homebrewer%27s+co...

Problem:  Comes up on NOOK as UNKNOWN AUTHOR.  Should be Charles Papazian.

"You can see a lot by just looking" - Yogi Berra
Reader 2
CDH_Vegas
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have the exact same issues with this book. The typos occur in all locations I have downloaded this book: Color Nook, Windows Desktop software, and my iPhone Nook app.

The Details are: "The War For Late Night" by Bill Carter

ISBN 1101443421

The typos are throughout the book in most places where there should be an apostrophe, there is instead a question mark. Examples: Page 32, Chapter 2, paragraph 4. What should be "NBC's" appears as "NBC?s". If you look six paragraphs down, there is another instance of "O'Brien" appearing as "O?Brien". Oddly, the next instance of "O'Brien" is punctuated correctly.