Reply
Frequent Contributor
Irishelf
Posts: 242
Registered: ‎07-20-2011

Re: The Official OT Free NOOKbook summary thread

If they put the religious and erotica books in a separate thread, there wouldn't be too many books in this thread!  Most of the freebees are erotica , religious, romance or business.  And you rarely see freebees from established publishers like there used to be (I got the first "Warriors" book by Erin Hunter for free, which I believe is from Harper Collins, but that was more than 1 year ago).  Personally, I wish there was a way to block genres I am not interested in (especially erotica-yuck).  I am visually impaired and cannot view more than 12 pages before I get a wicked headache (or B&N's website acts up and stops at 12 pgs).  And please bring back freebees from established authors. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
Posts: 2,230
Registered: ‎07-25-2011

Re: The Official OT Free NOOKbook summary thread


Irishelf wrote:

If they put the religious and erotica books in a separate thread, there wouldn't be too many books in this thread!  Most of the freebees are erotica , religious, romance or business.  And you rarely see freebees from established publishers like there used to be (I got the first "Warriors" book by Erin Hunter for free, which I believe is from Harper Collins, but that was more than 1 year ago).  Personally, I wish there was a way to block genres I am not interested in (especially erotica-yuck).  I am visually impaired and cannot view more than 12 pages before I get a wicked headache (or B&N's website acts up and stops at 12 pgs).  And please bring back freebees from established authors. 


Interesting points.  It might be a good idea, as a community, to decide which genres deserve their own threads, and leave one general one, primarily for people like Spec (as always, yay, Spec!!!!) to publish more mixed lists. 

Frequent Contributor
bga_reviews
Posts: 150
Registered: ‎10-24-2009

Re: The Official OT Free NOOKbook summary thread

[ Edited ]

It takes time to click on the titles and when the people listing smashbooks titles don't include anything but the title, it's a waste of everybody's time, especially when the title in question has 0 B&N reviews, and goodreads has more neutral or negative reviews than positive. At least the people listing all the erotica, religious, romance or business ebooks usually list the publisher and synopsis so I can tell at a glance which genre it is.

Inspired Contributor
ReformedReader
Posts: 47
Registered: ‎11-16-2011
0 Kudos

Re: No Longer Free Messages and Genres

[ Edited ]

lkmiller wrote:

They also bug me because I subscribe to the thread by email. The email I get just says there is a new post, showing the subject but not the post itself. If the person has not changed the subject on their post, then I think I'm going to see a free book. When I follow the link in the email over here, I'm dissappointed when I find something I consider an off-topic post instead. But if people continue to post these, it's not really a big deal.


Now that leads to a very reasonable request. If you are posting that a book is "no longer free", please modify the subject to indicate that so that those who have subscribed to the thread will know. This might solve the problem for those on both sides of this debate.

As for separating threads based on genre, That is an idea with merit, especially if the threads could be made "'sticky" or perhaps a separate category under the "Book Discussion" section.

Scribe
lkmiller
Posts: 704
Registered: ‎10-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: The Official OT Free NOOKbook summary thread


MacMcK1957 wrote:
It might be a good idea, as a community, to decide which genres deserve their own threads, and leave one general one, primarily for people like Spec (as always, yay, Spec!!!!) to publish more mixed lists. 

I believe Spec's list is compiled from that thread only. It just summarizes what is posted there. I don't know if he would add things posted in other separate threads.

Scribe
lkmiller
Posts: 704
Registered: ‎10-31-2009

Re: No Longer Free Messages and Genres


ReformedReader wrote:

... if the threads could be made "'sticky" or perhaps a separate category under the "Book Discussion" section.


Just as an FYI, if you're not aware, you can make threads "sticky" for your own personal view when you're signed in to the board. Near the top of the thread page there is a drop down list for Thread Options, click Float thread to the top.

Inspired Contributor
ReformedReader
Posts: 47
Registered: ‎11-16-2011

Re: No Longer Free Messages and Genres

Upon reflection regarding the separating genres, I have come up with at least on reason NOT to do it.  That is that some (many?) books would fit into multiple genres.  As an example, I picked up a free book a while back called Elisha's Bones, which was classified as "Christian Fiction".  After reading the book, my impression was this:

 

"Wow, that was a fun read but it really was not 'Christian' at all."  Sure the was no profanity or illicit sex, but there were only passing mentions of "God", no mentions of Christ at all.  It was just a good, clean adventure novel that might have been missed by some had it been placed only in a thread with "Christian" books.

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy
Posts: 514
Registered: ‎03-21-2011

Re: No Longer Free Messages and Genres


ReformedReader wrote:

Upon reflection regarding the separating genres, I have come up with at least on reason NOT to do it.  That is that some (many?) books would fit into multiple genres.  As an example, I picked up a free book a while back called Elisha's Bones, which was classified as "Christian Fiction".  After reading the book, my impression was this:

 

"Wow, that was a fun read but it really was not 'Christian' at all."  Sure the was no profanity or illicit sex, but there were only passing mentions of "God", no mentions of Christ at all.  It was just a good, clean adventure novel that might have been missed by some had it been placed only in a thread with "Christian" books.


Good point.  However I suspect that a book like that is an exception, which could be called to everyone's attention in the OT thread.  

 

There are folks out there who look at the publisher and when they see Baker or one of the other primarily religious publishers they pass right by the free book listing.  For them these postings would not raise their curiosity enough to even read anything about the book before dismissing it as somethin in which they have no interest.  Bottom line is that they would not miss these books because they currently gloss over them in the current thread.

Doug_Pardee
Posts: 5,522
Kudos: 4,015
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

My two bits' worth


BrandieC wrote:

 

Not to mention that the post quoted by ReformedReader was posted more than 2 years ago, back when there were far fewer free eBooks and prices changed far less frequently.


I posted that original message, which means my opinion is worth exactly the same as anyone else's. But here are my thoughts:

 

The "no longer free" postings were useful in the beginning, because they allowed us to get a sense of how long e-books typically were free. My own "no longer free" postings always indicated the number of days that the e-book had been free. This was especially valuable for sussing out the policies of the various publishers. For example, at the time, Baker typically did their free e-books on a calendar-month basis. Today, most e-books are free for only a few days, maybe only a day, maybe less.

 

They were also helpful to me in putting together my occasional summaries of free e-books. At the time, though, when you moused over a link the site would do a "flyout" which showed the current price, so determining which e-books should be carried over to a new summary was a lot easier back then.

 

My concern with Smashwords titles primarily wasn't quality but quantity. A good part of my personal e-book collection comes from Smashwords, so I don't look down my nose at them. But people were doing searches for free e-books at Smashwords and posting dozens of titles just because they'd found them. Smashwords currently has over 16,000 free e-books in its catalog. If you want to see them all, click here. Posting links to over 10,000 free e-books strikes me as counter-productive.

 

Besides, many of Smashwords' free e-books are continuously free. I'd started that free-e-book thread to highlight limited-time opportunities — if you want it for free, you'd better grab it now. I did occasionally post a summary of the perennial freebies.

 

I also had, yes, a bit of a quality concern. Most free e-books being posted here haven't been read by the person doing the posting, so the posters can't personally vouch for the titles. E-books from most publishers are curated, so there's reason to believe that at least one editor liked it. The same can't be said for most Smashwords titles.

 

In my opinion, ratings aren't a particularly trustworthy indicator. Many (most?) Smashwords titles start with reviews from friends and family of the author. Furthermore, a surprisingly high percentage of readers only write good reviews and refuse to give a bad review. Consider this: right now there are 5366 free e-books on Smashwords with at least one review. Of those, 5086 (95%) are rated 3-stars or higher. 4397 (82%) are rated 4-stars or higher. 2147 (40%) are rated a full 5 stars.

 

I think it's great if you found a Smashwords e-book that you really liked and you want to let the world know. In fact, I started a thread for just this purpose. I don't think it's very interesting if you found a Smashwords freebie that sounds interesting but you haven't actually read it, because there are literally thousands of those.

 

AlanNJ
Posts: 3,722
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: No Longer Free Messages


ReformedReader wrote:

Well, I guess, to each his own here.  I personally appreciate when others post when a book is no longer free because it saves me time as I don't have to bother clicking on the link just to find out the book is no longer free.  I guess others opinions vary, though I notice the 12 people have given Kudos to my post you quoted whereas only 8 have given Kudos to the post I was responding to, so apparently more people find the "no longer free" posts helpful than find them a problem.  I, personally think that sticking to the rules requested by the OP is the best course of action.  Now if the OP, who still posts here, were to request a change either here or in the other thread, I would then follow his "new" direction.  Otherwise, we are just going to turn a good thing into a fight. 

 

As a example, I personally think that there should be a separate thread for erotica.  Just seeing the covers of those books bugs me.  But instead of making a big stink about it, I simply choose to ignore those posts and most times set up a new adblock filter to block the cover picture.

 

My apologies for posting the post you quoted in the other thread.  I was only vaguely aware of this thread and this is the first time I have used it.


It takes me one mouse click and approximately one or two seconds of waiting time to click on a link and get to the other page.  I am extremely busy as well but that small amount of time needed to check the status of a book is minimal to me.  It takes longer to read people's reasons for not wanting to click the link than to actually click the link itself.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Scribe
lkmiller
Posts: 704
Registered: ‎10-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: No Longer Free Messages and Genres


ReformedReader wrote:

lkmiller wrote:

They also bug me because I subscribe to the thread by email. The email I get just says there is a new post, showing the subject but not the post itself. If the person has not changed the subject on their post, then I think I'm going to see a free book. When I follow the link in the email over here, I'm dissappointed when I find something I consider an off-topic post instead. But if people continue to post these, it's not really a big deal.


Now that leads to a very reasonable request. If you are posting that a book is "no longer free", please modify the subject to indicate that so that those who have subscribed to the thread will know. This might solve the problem for those on both sides of this debate.


Thank you for changing the subject on your latest No Longer Free post! I followed the link over here from the email anyway just to show my appreciation. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
Posts: 469
Registered: ‎02-24-2010

Re: No Longer Free Thread

[ Edited ]

Personally, I don't need a no longer free message.  I always check before I buy.  But if some people need that, perhaps we could start a "No Longer Free" thread.

I, also, prefer a separate thread for Smashwords for all the reasons Doug has mentioned.  I've also found many Smasheord books way too long!  Better editing would also shorten many Smashwords titles. Just

my thoughts...

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
Posts: 632
Registered: ‎04-13-2010

Re: No Longer Free Thread

[ Edited ]

My personal opinion is I don't really care who the publisher is.  Everyone has their own personal preferences and no matter what someone does there will be someone else there feeling the need to "police" the thread.  I have seen some highly rated Smashwords titles posted in the free nookbook thread (I'm talking about a high number of high ratings, not 5-10 high ratings by family members or friends) which according to prior "decisions" is ok to list because of the high # of 5 star ratings (since these are not very common for Smashwords titles) then you get someone who feels the need to be the "thread police" who enter a post that is almost lecturing the OP about how "we don't put Smashwords title in this thread".  My biggest issue with the thread is all the posts from the "thread police" who feel the need to nearly bash someone for putting a post that someone else may find useful - just because it's not useful to you does not mean that it is not useful to someone else.  I understand the reasoning for a seperate Smashwords thread but do not go look at it as it is just one more thread to try to follow.  I appreciate the individuals who put the higher rated Smashwords titles in the free nook book thread so I don't have to go to multiple threads.  As for the "no longer free" posts - I have no opinion one way or another, I just skim past them and they don't bother me at all.  I appreciate anyone who takes the time to post a free book in the thread whether it be Smashwords, Christian, Erotica or anything else - it saves me the time I would have had to spend looking for the books myself and with 3 kids and a sick Mother to help care for I don't have much extra time. 

AlanNJ
Posts: 3,722
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: No Longer Free Thread


TXAnnie wrote:

Personally, I don't need a no longer free message.  I always check before I buy.  But if some people need that, perhaps we could start a "No Longer Free" thread.

I, also, prefer a separate thread for Smashwords for all the reasons Doug has mentioned.  I've also found many Smasheord books way too long!  Better editing would also shorten many Smashwords titles. Just

my thoughts...


Maybe we could start a new thread for every conceivable situation we could come across and make them all stickies.  Then maybe by page 3 of the forum we could find new threads.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
Posts: 469
Registered: ‎02-24-2010

Re: No Longer Free Thread

[ Edited ]

AlanNJ wrote:


TXAnnie wrote:

Personally, I don't need a no longer free message.  I always check before I buy.  But if some people need that, perhaps we could start a "No Longer Free" thread.

I, also, prefer a separate thread for Smashwords for all the reasons Doug has mentioned.  I've also found many Smasheord books way too long!  Better editing would also shorten many Smashwords titles. Just

my thoughts...


Maybe we could start a new thread for every conceivable situation we could come across and make them all stickies.  Then maybe by page 3 of the forum we could find new threads.

 

 

 

This is exactly why I rarely post on these forums any more.  I posted here because I do get frustrated when I see a new post only to find a Smashwords book or a no longer free comment.
But I made a positive comment to perhaps serve more people's needs.  I didn't deserve the sarcasm, nor does anyone else who posts something to try to help others.
Peace on earth or at least on our forums!

 

 

 

AlanNJ
Posts: 3,722
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: No Longer Free Thread

My sincere apologies for taking my frustrations out on you.  I just had this picture in my mind of multiple pages of sticky threads.  It's hard enough to wade through the threads we currently have (in my opinion) as so many of the posts are irrelevant comments about what is acceptable in the thread vs. giving information that people are looking for.  

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
Posts: 2,230
Registered: ‎07-25-2011

Re: No Longer Free Thread


AlanNJ wrote:

My sincere apologies for taking my frustrations out on you.  I just had this picture in my mind of multiple pages of sticky threads.  It's hard enough to wade through the threads we currently have (in my opinion) as so many of the posts are irrelevant comments about what is acceptable in the thread vs. giving information that people are looking for.  


The issue I have with the public sticky threads is that nobody ever unsticks them.  There should be an automatic unstick for any thread with no activity for a month.

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
Posts: 469
Registered: ‎02-24-2010
0 Kudos

Re: No Longer Free Thread

Thank you Alan.

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy
Posts: 514
Registered: ‎03-21-2011
0 Kudos

It's now a free for all over there

... dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Scribe
lkmiller
Posts: 704
Registered: ‎10-31-2009

Re: It's now a free for all over there


beeyebickiebuy wrote:

... dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!


LOL....I know. Smashwords and Christian books. I'm expecting a bunch of erotica to show up next! :smileytongue: