Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy

Re: It's now a free for all over there

lkmiller wrote:

beeyebickiebuy wrote:

... dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

LOL....I know. Smashwords and Christian books. I'm expecting a bunch of erotica to show up next! :smileytongue:

Plus one post that indicates that some book is no longer free, without identifying the book.  Perhaps that is a blanket no longer free post that will suffice for all previous and future books?  Nah, we can't be that lucky.

Wink

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0

lkmiller wrote:

beeyebickiebuy wrote:

LOL....I know. Smashwords and Christian books. I'm expecting a bunch of erotica to show up next! :smileytongue:

Christian erotica with pets!  Now there's a category you don't see too many posts about.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

[ Edited ]

AlanNJ wrote:

lkmiller wrote:

beeyebickiebuy wrote:

Christian erotica with pets!  Now there's a category you don't see too many posts about.

I am disturbed by this idea.

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

beeyebickiebuy wrote:
Plus one post that indicates that some book is no longer free, without identifying the book.  Perhaps that is a blanket no longer free post that will suffice for all previous and future books?  Nah, we can't be that lucky.

Wink

It's a puzzle -- something that was a repeat freebie on 12/6 is no longer free. Hmmm. I was seriously wondering if someone was trolling us with that one.

Contributor
quiltergns

Re: No Longer Free Messages

But please don't put erotica and religion books in the same category.  Georgia

Contributor
librarydancer

Just to let you know (and it wasn't me who posted that).... I didn't know this thread existed until someonementioned that this is where the book discussion belongs. While the inital discussion starter was old, I was still assuming smashwords, etc. Were acceptable since the particular poster decided to do post. Really, it's for the benefit of everyone to locate free books. Does it *really* make a difference who produces it? The individual readers can choose to skip the posting or decide to take a look at it.
Contributor
librarydancer

Sorry -- just finished reading the messages.... I agree with a lot of what everyone was saying about liking to have only reviewed books, etc....

I also guessI need to subscribe to the thread instead of just keeping popping on!
Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy

Free Book Discussion

Just a bump to remind everyone that this thread exists to discuss issues related to free books.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Froide

U of Chicago Press: Monthly Free eBooks

The UofChicago Press offers monthly free eBooks, here. Seem it's not too late to get the February book. To obtain it, you'll have to provide your email address, which also registers you for the email list announcing upcoming ebooks. Here's the link again: http://www.press.uchicago.edu/books/freeEbook.html.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Frequent Contributor
bga_reviews
0 Kudos

Re: The Official OT Free NOOKbook summary thread

Maybe it's better than I expect, but I don't have high hopes about a self-published physics/cosmology ebook by a retired law professor.

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy

Bumping this thread for those who are unaware that this one is for discussion related to free books.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Froide
0 Kudos

Re: University of Chicago Press free e-book of the month

[ Edited ]

bga_reviews wrote:

Maybe it's better than I expect, but I don't have high hopes about a self-published physics/cosmology ebook by a retired law professor.

Agreed. (LOL) However, I joined too late to snag some titles I find appealing, so I wish I'd gotten on board earlier.  

Here's the list of free ebook titles UofChicago Press has offered since I subscribed:

SEP 2012 -

Title: Madison's Nightmare: How Executive Power Threatens American Democracy 
Author: Peter M. Shane

OCT 2012 -

Title: Inside the Presidential Debates
Authors: Newton N. Minow & Craig L. Lamay & Vartan Gregorian

NOV 2012 -

Title: How to Do It: Guides to Good Living for Renaissance Italians 
Author: Rudolph M. Bell

DEC 2012 -

Title: Custerology: The Enduring Legacy of the Indian Wars and George Armstrong Custer 
Author: Michael A. Elliott

JAN 2013 -

Title: Last Words of the Executed 
Authors: Robert K. Elder & Studs Terkel

FEB 2013 -

Title: Bill Veeck's Crosstown Classic
Authors: Bill Veeck & Ed Linn

MAR 2013 -

Title: The Smoking Book 
Author: Lesley Stern

APRIL 2013 -

Title: The Gold Leaf Lady and Other Parapsychological Investigations 
Author: Stephen E. Braude

For those interested in subscribing or learning more, here's the link: http://www.press.uchicago.edu/books/freeEbook.html

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Frequent Contributor
bga_reviews
0 Kudos

Re: University of Chicago Press free e-book of the month

I wish U Chicago would give away ePub instead of PDF format books, though.  With PDFs, the sizes that show the page as intended are usually too small to read.  I sometimes wonder if B&N were to release a Nook comparable to the Kobo Aura (which some people claim the screens were manufactured for B&N and then B&N passed on it), if we would finally be able to read most PDFs without going to a size where it does that hideous rewrapping.

Frequent Contributor
bga_reviews

Nice, Harper Collins.  The Trap part 1 is free, part 2 is $3.99, and part 3 is $5.99, but if you like part 1, you might as well buy the whole book for $8.99 (a dollar less), and then you won't have 2 extra books in your collection.  I hope everybody ignores this one so Harper Collins won't start doing this across the board.  Just give the first third of the book as a free sample, instead of the first 3 pages, and everyone wins.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Froide

Free ebooks, audiobooks, podcasts, videos, and apps

When my s.o. asked me to find a Rick Warren book for his NOOK, I came across the site eChristian.com, which offers free ebooks, audiobooks, videos, apps, and podcasts (in addition to paid content and a free newsletter). Surprisingly (at least, to me), the site offers a broad range of content, not just that which is religious or spiritual.

For those who are interested, here are links to:

Distinguished Wordsmith
Froide
0 Kudos

U of Chicago Press: Monthly Free eBooks - June 2013

Hack  Hack: Stories from a Chicago Cab
Dmitry Samarov
124 pages | 66 halftones | 5½ × 8½ | ©2011

E-book Free! See below  (about e-books) ISBN: 9780226734743

Cloth $20.00 ISBN: 9780226734736 Published October 2011

“Samarov drives late afternoon and into the night, the best time to cull material to create his vibrant, detailed stories that would make Nelson Algren proud. He has that very Chicago knack for succinctly capturing the city’s neighborhoods and the characters that inhabit them.”—Chicago Sun-Times

The link above is to the paid BN book. The link to the free UofChicago Press book is here: http://www.press.uchicago.edu/books/freeEbook.html

Distinguished Wordsmith
Froide
0 Kudos

2 free audiobooks avaialabe at YA Sync May 30-June 6

[ Edited ]

Excerpt from http://www.audiobooksync.com/

"SYNC offers free Young Adult & Classic audiobook downloads in the summer months to introduce the listening experience.

DOWNLOAD this week's complimentary copies."

Young Adult Audiobook: Of Poseidon

By Anna Banks,  Read by Rebecca Gibel
  Published by AudioGO

Classic Audiobook: The Tempest

By William Shakespeare,  Performed by a Full Cast
   Published by AudioGO/ BBC Radio

Distinguished Wordsmith
Froide
0 Kudos

June 2013's monthly ebook from Arc Manor/Phoenix Picks - The Crystal Empire

[ Edited ]

The Crystal Empire  I registered for Phoenix Pick's free monthly email and updates. The email I received this month reads:

"Access June 2013's newsletter (with the free ebook code) from Phoenix Pick by clicking below:

http://www.phoenixpick.com/newsletter/2013-06A.htm

If you can't click the link or the link is not visible, please put the following URL in your browser window.

www (dot) PhoenixPick.com/newsletter/2013-06A "

The free June ebook, L. Neil Smith's The Crystal Empire, costs $9.99 in the NOOK Store. I've posted the NOOK Store link and picture so you can see for yourself.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Froide
0 Kudos

Re: U of Chicago Press: Monthly Free eBooks - June 2013 (updated)

Crossing: A Memoir
Deirdre N. McCloskey
282 pages | 32 halftones | 6 × 9 |  ©1999

E-book Free! See http://www.press.uchicago.edu/books/freeEbook.html ISBN: 9780226556727

Paper $20.00 ISBN: 9780226556697 Published September 2000

A3A
Inspired Scribe
A3A
0 Kudos

Gremlins at work?

Someone is altering tag lines in the Free Nookbook summary thread - please no OT. Mine have been altered on and off. I doubt that the posters of the last two 'No longer free' posts added tag lines of 'ot spam Troll' and 'ot' to their own posts. Just be aware that this is going on if you post in these forums.