Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

Re: Gremlins at work?

[ Edited ]

A3A wrote:
Someone is altering tag lines in the Free Nookbook summary thread - please no OT. Mine have been altered on and off. I doubt that the posters of the last two 'No longer free' posts added tag lines of 'ot spam Troll' and 'ot' to their own posts. Just be aware that this is going on if you post in these forums.

The person that's doing this - I know who you are. It took about 10 seconds to find out.

Look, I get that you don't like these posts, but this is not the way to handle it.  Please don't make me have to report this to the mods, okay?

Scribe
Froide
0 Kudos

Re: Gremlins at work?

[ Edited ]

A3A wrote:
Someone is altering tag lines in the Free Nookbook summary thread - please no OT. Mine have been altered on and off. I doubt that the posters of the last two 'No longer free' posts added tag lines of 'ot spam Troll' and 'ot' to their own posts. Just be aware that this is going on if you post in these forums.

A3A - I don't believe anyone can "alter" anyone else's tags (except maybe a moderator).  After reading your post in this forum (quoted above), I looked at several BN Forum posts that have been tagged and see they all bear a statement that reads: "Everyone's Tags". Apparently, then, not only can any reader tag any post to categorize it the way s/he sees fit - try it for yourself (but first read the next salient bit) -  but those tags cannot be made private; everyone sees them. That's important, cautionary information for all of us who use the tagging feature.   

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx

[Do you catch/share limited-time ebook and audiobook freebies in the Limited-Time NOOKbook Freebies and Official OT threads?]
Scribe
Froide
0 Kudos

Audiobooks

[ Edited ]

On another note:

I've been enjoying my free weekly audiobooks from YA Sync Literature.  Learned about them from various BN Forum posts. 

I didn't expect to enjoy audiobooks but have found them fun to listen to while futzing around doing other things that don't require my full attention.  Haven't yet tried listening in the car, though, and look forward to trying them out during a road trip.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx

[Do you catch/share limited-time ebook and audiobook freebies in the Limited-Time NOOKbook Freebies and Official OT threads?]
Scribe
Froide

Re: University of Chicago Press free e-book of the month - July 2013

[ Edited ]

God , by Franco Ferrucci, is this month's e-book freebie at UofChicago Press. If you're interested and are not already on their email list, then you can click this link to sign up for it.

FYI, the same ebook currently costs $2.99 in the NOOK Store, as you can tell by clicking the linked title or picture.

Enjoy!

Scribe
Froide

Re: Current YA Sync Audiobook freebies

[ Edited ]

Here are the current and upcoming YA Sync audiobook freebies for Summer 2013.  FYI, each book is available for one week only, from Thursday through Wednesday.

June 27 – July 3, 2013

Rotters by Daniel Kraus, read by Kirby Heyborne (Listening Library)

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, read by Jim Weiss (Listening Library)

July 4 – July 10, 2013

Carter Finally Gets It by Brent Crawford, read by Nick Podehl (Brilliance Audio)

She Stoops to Conquer by Oliver Goldsmith, read by a Full Cast (L.A. Theatre Works)

July 11 – July 17, 2013

The Peculiar by Stefan Bachmann, read by Peter Altschuler (HarperAudio)

Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens, read by Simon Vance (Tantor Audio)

July 18 – July 24, 2013

Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers, read by Erin Moon (Recorded Books)

Hamlet by William Shakespeare, read by a Full Cast (L.A. Theatre Works)

July 25 – July 31, 2013

The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen, read by Charlie McWade (Scholastic Audiobooks)

The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain, read by Steve West (Blackstone Audio)

Aug 1 – Aug 7, 2013

Death Cloud by Andrew Lane, read by Dan Weyman (Macmillan Audio)

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle, read by Ralph Cosham (Blackstone Audio)

Aug 8 – Aug 14, 2013

Enchanted by Alethea Kontis, read by Katherine Kellgren (Brilliance Audio)

Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll, read by Miriam Margolyes (Bolinda Audio)

Aug 15 – Aug 21, 2013

Sold by Patricia McCormick, read by Justine Eyre (Tantor Audio)

Let Me Stand Alone by Rachel Corrie, read by Tavia Gilbert (Blackstone Audio)

Scribe
Froide

Phoenix Pick Free Ebook of the Month - July 2013

Here are the publisher's instructions to access the freebie:

Access July 2013's newsletter (with the free ebook code) from Phoenix Pick by clicking below:

http://www.PhoenixPick.com/newsletter/2013-07ge.htm 

If you can't click on the link above, or if the link is not visible, please put the following URL in your browser window:

www (dot) PhoenixPick.com/newsletter/2013-07ge.htm

Once at that page, submit the coupon code (if it's posted) or register so one will be mailed to you.

Enjoy!

Scribe
Froide

Downpour's free audiobook of the month for July 2013, and more ebook/audiobook freebies

[ Edited ]

The Good Earth  - CD's

The Good Earth  - Downloadable

CAUTION: I POSTED THE NOOK AUDIOBOOKS PICTURED HERE FOR ILLUSTRATIVE PURPOSES. They currently cost $72.90 for the CD set and $67.60 for the downloadable version, respectively.  (In other words, you can snag both for the price of a NOOK HD.) This post discusses the free the downloadable version of the very same downloadable audiobook at Downpour. 

I only recently got into audiobooks (as you can tell from my posting history here), but when it rains, it pours!  Literally. This week I found two free audiobooks at Downpour.com.

DOWNPOUR'S FREE AUDIOBOOK #1:

The first is this month's freebie - The Good Earth (by Pearl S. Buck, narrated by Anthony Heald) - accessible at http://www.downpour.com/the-good-earth-1, code: earthfree. (FYI, the code's freely available online, e.g., at http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1282574/.) I'd registered at Downpour last week and then forgotten about it, so I was pleasantly surprised to receive their email announcing this month's free audiobook and its associated code. 

To download the book gratis at Downpour, click "Add to Cart", enter earthfree in the "Promo or Download Code" box, watch the price drop to $0.00, click "Checkout", choose your download format, and enjoy.  FYI:

• NOOK can't play mp4 files, so choose mp3 for NOOK consumption.  Your ebook will remain in your online Downpour library, and you  can always return to the well to download other copies later, in whatever available formats suit you. [I confirmed this with Downpour's very helpful, nice, and knowledgeable customer service rep.]
  • You may have to register your name and contact info at the site to complete the transaction, but you don't have to enter a credit card number.

DOWNPOUR'S FREE AUDIOBOOK #2:

Downpour's also offering a free audiobook version of Chuck Palahniuk's short story "Romance". It was originally published in Playboy (August 2011) and is being made into a movie. Click this link to access the audiobook at Downpour. (I searched in vain for that audiobook in the NOOK Store.)

MORE FREEBIES:

This fatwallet.com book-deals search lists a number of free and discounted audiobooks and ebooks at multiple sites, including BN: http://www.fatwallet.com/book-deals/ .

ASIDE:

I've read that it's OK to make posts and links to non-BN freebies.  Nonethless, I can imagine BN's reps getting their panties in a bunch about this and similar posts. But they should be heartened to read: I'm buying a NOOK HD this holiday weekend. If I like it, I'll soon thereafter buy several more as gifts, while supplies last.

One my first tasks on my shiny new NOOK HD will downloading the Downpour app at Google Play. (Downpour audiobook files are zipped, and though easy to manage on a computer, they'd be a pain to deal with when downloaded directly to a NOOK lacking the app). 

Happy reading, and happy Independence Day!

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy

This thread is still here for OT posts related to free books

Just a reminder for new, and some old members of this site.

Distinguished Correspondent
junonia-shell

Re: This thread is still here for OT posts related to free books

@ BR427, if you feel you must post no longer free posts, why don't you start a new thread that states the books are no longer free?  You bumped the free posts for 7/8/13, which is today, for posts from July1, July4, and July5 and to me, that's a little rude. Sorry, I couldn't keep my mouth shut any longer. Let the flaming begin......

Bibliophile
bklvr896

junonia-shell wrote:

@ BR427, if you feel you must post no longer free posts, why don't you start a new thread that states the books are no longer free?  You bumped the free posts for 7/8/13, which is today, for posts from July1, July4, and July5 and to me, that's a little rude. Sorry, I couldn't keep my mouth shut any longer. Let the flaming begin......

Won't soa any good.  We had a thread about this last month, this person is still doing it.  And in this case felt the need post submit 5 separate posts, where one would have sufficed.  If his/her goal is to drive people away from the thread he/she has pretty much succeeded with me.  I hardly look at it any more, I haven't found anything I was interested in in a while anyway.

Scribe
Froide
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

bklvr896 wrote:

junonia-shell wrote:

Won't soa any good.  We had a thread about this last month, this person is still doing it.  And in this case felt the need post submit 5 separate posts, where one would have sufficed.  If his/her goal is to drive people away from the thread he/she has pretty much succeeded with me.  I hardly look at it any more, I haven't found anything I was interested in in a while anyway.

"I Second That Emotion". 

What's "SOA" stand for?

Wordsmith
Sardonicus

[ Edited ]

:smileylol:  I wonder . . .

. . . Which costs more time and effort

Scrolling past no-longer-free posts OR writing and reading posts complaining about no-longer-free posts?

( :smileyindifferent: The preceding is rhetorical wondering.  :smileywink: )

The people who live in a golden age usually go around complaining how yellow everything looks.

- Randall Jarrell

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy

Sardonicus wrote:

:smileylol:  I wonder . . .

. . . Which costs more time and effort

Scrolling past no-longer-free posts OR writing and reading posts complaining about no-longer-free posts?

( :smileyindifferent: The preceding is rhetorical wondering.  :smileywink: )

Without the unnecessary NLF posts we would not have the NLF complaint posts.

I really like the idea of having a separate NLF thread.  This would make everyone happy.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

beeyebickiebuy wrote:

Without the unnecessary NLF posts we would not have the NLF complaint posts.

I really like the idea of having a separate NLF thread.  This would make everyone happy.

Except you'll still have the new people posting them because they'll see the directive to post them on the first page of the thread.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Wordsmith
Sardonicus

[ Edited ]

beeyebickiebuy wrote:
. . . a separate NLF thread . . . would make everyone happy.

:smileylol:

"everyone happy"?

Everyone?

I love internet humor.  :smileyvery-happy:

No worries, Beeyebickiebuy and folks.  I won't get caught up in complaining about complaining.  I commented only 'cause the whole 'issue' is amusing - to me, that's all.

:smileyindifferent:  You guys carry on. 

Enjoy.  :smileywink:

The people who live in a golden age usually go around complaining how yellow everything looks.

- Randall Jarrell

Distinguished Correspondent
junonia-shell
0 Kudos

No longer Free

Maybe if the "No longer free" posters would at least change their subject title to "No longer free" it might clear up some confusion. And then maybe group them all in one reply?

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Froide wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

junonia-shell wrote:

"I Second That Emotion". 

What's "SOA" stand for?

It stands for my iPad's damn autocorrect struck again and I didn't catch this one.  Should have been "do".

A3A
Inspired Scribe
A3A

University of Chicago Freebie / August

"Playing in Time: Essays, Profiles, and Other True Stories" by Carlo Rotella. http://www.press.uchicago.edu/books/freeEbook.html
Scribe
Froide
0 Kudos

christianaudio's monthly FREE audiobook / August 2013

[ Edited ]

Basic Christianity  - 

• CAUTION: the title link (above)  takes you to the BN page, where the audiobook is $10.77.  (For some reason, the cover image will not post here).  The book is regularly $12.98 or 3 credits at christianaudio
  • by John R.W. Stott, narrated by Grover Gardner

Scribe
Froide

PhoenixPick's monthly FREE ebook / August 2013

[ Edited ]

The Ice Owl - Hugo & Nebula Nominated Novella 

• CAUTION: this title link goes to the BN version, which is NOT free (for some reason, the cover image will not post here).

"Our free ebook for August is The Ice Owl by Carolyn Ives Gilman. This novella was nominated for both the Hugo and the Nebula when it was originally published.

"The code for July is 9991670 and the link to download the book is available, as always, from our online catalogue page at http://www.PPickings.com . The book will be available from now through August 31, 2013.

Brief description of the book:

"Set in the same universe as Arkfall (although a totally independent story), The Ice Owl tells a tale capturing that moment when we start to lose our childhood...when we start to realize that our parents and the "grown-ups" are just as flawed as we are...everyone struggling to deal with their own demons.

It is also a story about past crimes and the haunting echo of ghosts long dead, of a life-long quest for redemption and, for some, the final revenge for crimes lost in the stellar dust..."