Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Re: The Official OT Free NOOKbook summary thread

[ Edited ]

It also says:  This thread is intended to be an ongoing list of the latest free NOOKbooks of note.

(It was explained elsewhere, by the originator of the thread, why he didn't include Smashwords and why they weren't part of the original intent of the thread.  He also created a thread, at nearly the same time, titled :  Smashwords Freebies of Note.  I think that's pretty telling, isn't it?)

Smashwords freebies are rarely "of note."  Most are always free, therefore not "the latest."  

Does this mean that you are also okay with the thousands of public domain freebies being posted? They are, of course, free as well.

When the thread is full of books that are always free and don't really require notification because they are always free, is it still useful?

If the thread only has crap books in it, is it still useful? 

If Smashwords titles belong in that thread, we could, right now, post 1,868 books in it.  Would the thread still be useful?

I won't be posting in it again, though, in order to abide by the no OT request.  I'll probably quit visiting it, too.

Wordsmith
swan480

Ya_Ya wrote:

It also says:  This thread is intended to be an ongoing list of the latest free NOOKbooks of note.

(It was explained elsewhere, by the originator of the thread, why he didn't include Smashwords and why they weren't part of the original intent of the thread.  He also created a thread, at nearly the same time, titled :  Smashwords Freebies of Note.  I think that's pretty telling, isn't it?)

That doesn't change the fact that he said people could post Smashwords ebooks in the primary free thread.  And, honestly, "of note" is a subjective thing.  I'm tired of people acting like they own that thread and have the right to control what's in it.  In my opinion, the thread is still useful, even if I have to skip over titles I'm not interested in.  So what?  It still takes far less time than it would to find all the freebies myself.  Sorry if you disagree, but everyone here has just as much right to post as you do, and I think the people who are complaining about Smashwords and OT posts are being extremely rude.

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy

swan480 wrote:
That doesn't change the fact that he said people could post Smashwords ebooks in the primary free thread.  And, honestly, "of note" is a subjective thing.  I'm tired of people acting like they own that thread and have the right to control what's in it.  In my opinion, the thread is still useful, even if I have to skip over titles I'm not interested in.  So what?  It still takes far less time than it would to find all the freebies myself.  Sorry if you disagree, but everyone here has just as much right to post as you do, and I think the people who are complaining about Smashwords and OT posts are being extremely rude.

I won't comment on the Smashwords thing because that seems like a religious war.  However Doug made it very clear about OT posts when he wrote: "Everyone should feel free to post here, as long as it's on-topic for free NOOKbooks."  So in actuality no one is being "rude" for complaining about OT posts and should continue to do so, when they feel the urge, in this thread, but not in Doughs thread.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

swan480 wrote:

So what?  It still takes far less time than it would to find all the freebies myself.  Sorry if you disagree, but everyone here has just as much right to post as you do, and I think the people who are complaining about Smashwords and OT posts are being extremely rude.

I don't think I said anybody had more right to post than anyone else.  That would be pretty far out of character for me.  

I do think that the thread had a specific original intention with specific suggestions about how the thread could be useful.  When those suggestions were at least acknowledged, it was an extremely useful thread.  Now that they're being completely disregarded, the thread isn't very useful.

• There are pages of posts without  any free ebooks.
  • There are questions about books that are no longer free.
  • There are "This is free somewhere else, but not here" posts.
  • There are books that aren't free and never were free at B&N posted in the thread.
  • There are discussions about difficulties with specific titles.
  • There are discussions about people being charged for free books because they clicked on the wrong version.
  • There is even a discussions of "bargain" (as in not free) titles in the thread.  [I'm not talking about Kirsty's links, which are posted when she posts a freebie, either.  That seems completely reasonable to me.]

I don't in any way find it rude to suggest that all of the above is outside of the original intent of the thread, and that it makes a thread about free, promotional, limited-time NOOKbooks less useful.   

I do think it's interesting that it's only rude to suggest that Smashwords titles don't belong in the thread - but suggesting that the rest of it doesn't belong is perfectly acceptable.  :smileywink:

Wordsmith
Sardonicus

An' it don' stop. An' it won' stop.

[ Edited ]

beeyebickiebuy wrote:
So in actuality no one is being "rude" for complaining about OT posts and should continue to do so, when they feel the urge, in this thread, but not in Doughs thread. 

:smileysurprised: It's effing amazing!

it's as though that several have decided that Doug's thread is already as good as dead, so they've decided to hasten its demise. 

The spate of OTs continues.

Ah, well. :smileyindifferent:

Bless their hearts.

The people who live in a golden age usually go around complaining how yellow everything looks.

- Randall Jarrell

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Dead zombie horse kicking.

[ Edited ]

Sardonicus wrote:

it's as though that several have decided that Doug's thread is already as good as dead, so they've decided to hasten its demise.  

The thread has been dead for two months now.  For a while it stayed in purgatory, but we've finally reached the stage of Zombie Apocalypse Dead Horse Kicking.

I honestly think the entire discussion inside and outside of that thread is futile.

Wordsmith
Sardonicus

If you want something to die, let it.

[ Edited ]

Ya_Ya wrote:
I honestly think the entire discussion inside and outside of that thread is futile.

:smileysurprised: Really?  "Honestly . . . futile"?

How many times have you participated "inside and outside" of that thread in this "futile" discussion since . . . say . . . yesterday?

Once?  Thrice? A half-dozen?  More?

Whatever, Ya_Ya.  No biggie.

It's a free country, bless your heart.:smileyhappy::smileywink::smileyhappy:

The people who live in a golden age usually go around complaining how yellow everything looks.

- Randall Jarrell

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

It's already dead. It can't die again.

[ Edited ]

I didn't say I wasn't part of the discussion, inside or outside.  I just said it was futile - as in not going to accomplish anything.

I do futile crap everyday.  I have futile conversations everyday.  Why not here? 

As to the title of your post, I believe it's already dead.

Wordsmith
Sardonicus
0 Kudos

So . . . don't interfere with something that ain't bothering you none.

Ya_Ya wrote:

. . . I believe it's already dead.

:smileysurprised:
Not everyone agrees with your assessment/proclamation, Ya_Ya.  If you haven't noticed, a few people have attempted to continue the tradition - even in the past 24 hours - despite your [apparent] omniscience. 

Even if their efforts are "futile", why would anyone want to interfere with the attempts?

Why?

- Randall Jarrell

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Wasn't.

Sardonicus wrote:

Even if their efforts are "futile", why would anyone want to interfere with the attempts?

Why? 

Didn't want to interfere with the attempt.  I don't care what you do or don't do, want to do or not want to do.  I did care to explain to people - where they'll read it, because doing it where they won't is even more futile than futile :smileywink: - why I think certain things are less than useful.  

I didn't expect it would do any good, but by your own admission, I should have been able to try, right?

Or is it only interference if it annoys you?

Wordsmith
Sardonicus
0 Kudos

Be honest.

[ Edited ]

Ya_Ya wrote:
Didn't want to interfere with the attempt.  

:smileyvery-happy:

So you say.  However . . . when you acknowledge that OT posts are harmful to the thread's integrity even as you post same, that is interference - by any pragmatic measure.:smileyindifferent:

Nonetheless, this is a free country and a free message board.  You can do as you will, bless your heart.

Enjoy youself, Ya_Ya.  I'm done wit' it.  :smileyhappy:

- Randall Jarrell

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

I was.

[ Edited ]

Sardonicus wrote:

So you say.  However . . . when you acknowledge that OT posts are harmful to the thread's integrity even as you post same, that is interference - by any pragmatic measure.:smileyindifferent:

Should I say "I wasn't speaking in order to interfere but with X intention"?

As the person to whom I responded indicated that s/he didn't think discussing the intent of the thread was OT in the thread, I figured s/he wouldn't read an explanation elsewhere.

If you notice, I indicated above that I was not going to post in it again, (as the overwhelming futility had been confirmed) in order to honor the request that nobody post in it unless it was a free book.  Of course, it didn't happen on your timeline, so, um, that means it didn't happen.

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1

Re: An' it don' stop. An' it won' stop.

Sardonicus wrote:

beeyebickiebuy wrote:
So in actuality no one is being "rude" for complaining about OT posts and should continue to do so, when they feel the urge, in this thread, but not in Doughs thread. 

:smileysurprised: It's effing amazing!

The spate of OTs continues.

Ah, well. :smileyindifferent:

Bless their hearts.

Not sure but think you may have misunderstood this post.  From the way I read it beeyebickiebuy is saying to go ahead and complain but leave the complaints out of "Dougs" original Free NOOKbook thread and post them here instead so there are less OT posts in that thread for people to complain about.

Wordsmith
Sardonicus

[ Edited ]

Nevermore1 wrote:

Not sure but think you may have misunderstood this post.  From the way I read it beeyebickiebuy is saying to go ahead and complain but leave the complaints out of "Dougs" original Free NOOKbook thread and post them here instead so there are less OT posts in that thread for people to complain about.

I understood - and whole-heartedly agreed with - BBB's Original Post.  I referenced the OT posts that appeared [on Doug's threadafter BBB's attempt to sort it all out.

It's too bad that BBB's efforts were willfully ignored, IMO. :smileyindifferent:

- Randall Jarrell

Inspired Correspondent
CyborgQueen
0 Kudos

Alrighty then...

Okay okay okay...I'm already getting annoyed by the little spats and bickering on what's going on in these threads and it's obvious that some things aren't getting anywhere...

I *DO* want to see a thread exactly the way Doug had it.  Listed by Publishers, title and links etc.  And absolutely NO other comment. But alas, it is not going to happen on this forum, especially when there aren't really any moderators. 

SO - I have a proposal.  Can anyone create a BLOG with a  LIST of Freebies and the links on TOP of the Blog page (you can set the date to a future date so it's always on top, and it can always be edited).   The rest of the blog can show a updated list that says, "This book is no longer free...free for 18 days." or whatever. You can also talk about discounts in books - I hardly ever keep an eye on my book wishlist, but perhaps someone has a book wishlist that they really keep an eye on discounts. Etc etc.  That way any comments will stay in the comments. I'll just skim over it and ignore it. All I care is the post itself. 

If you use Blogger, you can have more than one person be the author of the posts, as long as the authors know the rules. Keep Free List and Discounted list on top.

Does that help at all?

I would love to do it myself, but I'm lazy, and frankly, I don't even know how I check for freebies and how long they were free, etc etc.

Doug, Kristin, and whoever else that has been doing really well with keeping Doug's list free. 

Just a thought.... 

I just find it much easier to look up on a blog instead of Facebook Cheap eReads (which is good, but if I'm away for a few hours or so...I miss out on the list because of the news feeds...it just feels a little messy Facebook style.  

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

Sardonicus wrote:

Nevermore1 wrote:

I understood - and whole-heartedly agreed with - BBB's Original Post.  I referenced the OT posts that appeared [on Doug's threadafter BBB's attempt to sort it all out.

It's too bad that BBB's efforts were willfully ignored, IMO. :smileyindifferent:

Maybe we need an OT post in Doug's thread to let them know that this thread is here.  Some people just don't bother looking at the other threads.

Wordsmith
Sardonicus

Re: Alrighty then...

[ Edited ]

CyborgQueen wrote:

. . . 

SO - I have a proposal.  Can anyone create a BLOG with a  LIST of Freebies . . . 

Here's one:

http://nookdeals.blogspot.com/

Click on "Freebie Roundup"

- Randall Jarrell

Wordsmith
swan480

CyborgQueen wrote:

I would love to do it myself, but I'm lazy, and frankly, I don't even know how I check for freebies and how long they were free, etc etc.

See, this is exactly what bothers me.  You can't be bothered to figure out how to do it yourself, but you'll complain if someone else doesn't do it the way YOU want it done?  And by you, I mean "you and a bunch of others who have expressed basically the same complaints while expecting a free service to be made-to-order to their desires."

I don't think Doug's thread is dead.  I still check it pretty much every day... even before it got "extra spicy" these last couple of days.  As I've said before, sorry if some of you don't find it useful...  But there are a lot of us who still do.

As for OT posts on the free nookbooks thread, as has been mentioned, problems with downloads, charges, etc. IS on topic for free nookbooks.  And yes, I DO think it's rude to constantly post with "No OT please" messages... not to mention hypocritical, because if you consider defining the thread to be OT, doesn't that include your post too?

I actually think it's a great idea for the complainers to start their own blog.  If you aren't happy with how the free nookbook thread has evolved, no one is forcing you to check it!

Contributor
Alex_G

I didn't want to get in the discussion but then again I'm known to take a lot of risks :smileytongue: 

There is technically a very simple solution to the OT and to gently direct people to use the Smashword thread.... USE the private messaging to a person.

HMY
Contributor
HMY
0 Kudos

After reading many (albeit not all) of the comments that have been made on this thread, and the no OT thread intended to go with it may I make a suggestion?

What if we start a new thread.  We can state in the first post that we would like to be for free nookbooks and smashwords of note (as that is what it sounds like some people would prefer).  We can request that the publisher be mentioned in the post, and if it is a smashwords that the poster has read it and would still recommend it. 

Title of Free Book

Publisher

Link

(If it's a smashwords a short recommendation)

If time allows/it's possible a short description of the book if the poster so chooses?

I know that I am extremely busy and find any post about a free book helpful (so thank you to anyone that takes the time to make a post).  As there are certain posters who haven't been here lately I don't think it's fair to hold newer posters, who are taking time out of their day to help the rest of us, to the pattern that was here originally.  Maybe this can be a happy medium for those getting frustrated with the old thread?

Thoughts?