Distinguished Correspondent
javabird

Re: Alrighty then...

[ Edited ]

That's a good idea. Feel free to have at it.

BTW,

HMY wrote:

After reading many (albeit not all) of the comments that have been made on this thread, and the no OT thread intended to go with it may I make a suggestion?

What if we start a new thread.  We can state in the first post that we would like to be for free nookbooks and smashwords of note (as that is what it sounds like some people would prefer).  We can request that the publisher be mentioned in the post, and if it is a smashwords that the poster has read it and would still recommend it. 

Title of Free Book

Publisher

Link

(If it's a smashwords a short recommendation)

If time allows/it's possible a short description of the book if the poster so chooses?

I know that I am extremely busy and find any post about a free book helpful (so thank you to anyone that takes the time to make a post).  As there are certain posters who haven't been here lately I don't think it's fair to hold newer posters, who are taking time out of their day to help the rest of us, to the pattern that was here originally.  Maybe this can be a happy medium for those getting frustrated with the old thread?

Thoughts?

That's a great idea, Please feel free to have at it.

BTW, Doug's original thread is not dead, since there are still people who use it, appreciate it and post to it. The frequent contributors use it and continue to check it regularly. What matters is that the people who continue to use it can get something useful out of it. I don't see why it needs to be "dead" if the users keep using it. 

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Perhaps all that needs to be done is for someone, not me but an "old-timer" here who everyone recognizes, make an OT post in Doug's thread that restates the ground rules like those in HMY's post and any other rules that will get people to continue to post free nook books there without all of the extra posts that are totally unnecessary.

HMY
Contributor
HMY
0 Kudos

I don't mean to say it's dead.  I still regularly check it.  I guess it's the teacher in my trying to find a happy medium for all.

I like beeyebickiebuy's suggestion.  That's a great idea.

Inspired Correspondent
CyborgQueen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

swan480 wrote:

CyborgQueen wrote:

I would love to do it myself, but I'm lazy, and frankly, I don't even know how I check for freebies and how long they were free, etc etc.

See, this is exactly what bothers me.  You can't be bothered to figure out how to do it yourself, but you'll complain if someone else doesn't do it the way YOU want it done?  And by you, I mean "you and a bunch of others who have expressed basically the same complaints while expecting a free service to be made-to-order to their desires."

I actually think it's a great idea for the complainers to start their own blog.  If you aren't happy with how the free nookbook thread has evolved, no one is forcing you to check it!

I may have made the statement wrong, so I apolgoize for that.  What I meant is  I am not a very reliable person to keep up a blog or a list. Someone who is decicated to keep everything fresh and going such as Doug, Kristin,  and a number of others that work their butt off will be much better than I.

I'll never complain if someone didn't do it the "way I want it done".   I just rather look at a recent list, see which ones are interesting, check the ratings and buy it.  I'm SURE that anyone who posts these threads on freebies/discounted books are very grateful for our thanks...but I find all those posts thanking them  are bleh...OT posts, Bleh...I never reply unless if something is seriously wrong with the link.   Hence why something like a blog where all the comments are hidden away at "Comments" list.  I don't care whether they're Smashwords works, a lousy book, or the list was just too simple (such as no Publishers, no "length they were free"...I don't care).  All I care is seeing a recent list of books that are free for temporary time, or a list of books that got hugely discounted of most popular books.  That's it. 

Again, I'm not reliable person, and wouldn't you rather have reliable people to keep things up and fresh?

EDIT:  I found some good blogs, so I guess they already exists, I'll just go there as well. I'm not quitting on Doug's thread...I think it just got a little out of hand lately.   

Thanks to EVERYONE who contriubuted to the thread with your freebies. Collected over 100 books. :-P

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat

beeyebickiebuy wrote:

Perhaps all that needs to be done is for someone, not me but an "old-timer" here who everyone recognizes, make an OT post in Doug's thread that restates the ground rules like those in HMY's post and any other rules that will get people to continue to post free nook books there without all of the extra posts that are totally unnecessary.

A nice sentiment, but it's been done ... over and over again, all to no avail. Many of us "old-timers" have made mention of the OT and it falls on deaf ears, so to speak. There are just too many colorful people who seem to lead the charge and then others follow. We've had many discussions on self-entitlement and those who feel the rules don't apply to them.

I found the post by one of the B&N booksellers to be chilling. But then, B&N itself is partly to blame. We lost one of the best moderators to ever participate in these forums when B&N reorganized a few months ago. Misposts were moved to the proper forums, OT posts were either moved to their own threads or removed, things were kept well organized in general.

But B&N no longer moderates the forums unless there is a major outcry. Thus, things have rapidly gone to hell in a handbasket. Take a look at the Community Room as an example. This forum used to be for regular print books. There is a thread specifically for authors to post an announcement about their book. There is a sticky at the top of the forum reminding people to post all nook and ebook items in the nook forums. But what do you find in scanning the message lists of the Community Room?

There was also a ban on outside links, especially advertising or sales links. You didn't see posts that said "read my book here ..." There was a special thread in the Nookbooks forum for authors to post, yet now you see individual promo posts with nothing but acknowledgments and kudos instead of a paragraph or two of what the books is about. Generally you only saw an individual book thread when forum members were discussing that particular book.

Us "old-timers" have often remarked on how odd it seems that people who profess to be readers, really don't read. There's even a guide for posting in the forums, but it's doubtful many have read it since they post wherever their cursor lands.

And please don't discount the Smashwords titles. Smashwords isn't some hack outfit where anyone with a computer can publish a book (although I've read a few that have made me wonder), it's become one of the leading independent publishers for ebooks. They offer a premium service where authors can pay a fee to have their book vetted and distributed to some of the top sites like B&N, Sony Reader Store, Amazon, Kobo and others.

Smashwords is very much a part of the B&N catalogue now that Google has launched its own ebook store. And not all Smashwords titles are free. So when one does become free or is offered a special price, it's worth noting.

You won't see B&N's own PubIt authors in the free listings because the lowest price allowable for an ebook is 99 cents. There is no way to offer a PubIt title for free. Recently, former PubIt author M.P. MacDonald withdrew her book, No Good Deed, from the PubIt catalogue and republished it via Smashwords in order to offer it for free from time to time. It's a valuable means of advertising. Offer the first book for free, and hopefully readers will want to read more books by this author.

And please don't confuse independent with self-published. They are two very different categories. Independent publishers operate just like the Big 6, just on a smaller scale. And lately I've noticed a lot of the Indie authors, whose books have already been in print for some time, are now republishing them via sites like Smashwords so they are available in electronic form. Probably because a lot of the smaller publishers don't have the means to offer digital formats.

So where is the answer in all of this? I don't know that there is one. In this age of self-entitlement, common courtesy is thrown out the window. The anonymity of the Internet pretty much allows people to behave however they choose. Rules don't apply to these people. It's their misconcept of freedom of expression or freedom of speech that says they can do or say whatever they wish.

While I appreciate the frustration expressed, there is no easy answer. Petitions to B&N seem to fall on deaf ears. B&N itself doesn't seem to understand that all of the in-fighting and disorganization does, indeed, reflect on its reputation and that of its users. Maybe one of the best things B&N could do is shut down everything but the blogs and the moderated book clubs. I'd hate to see it come to that, but frankly this is no longer the place it once was, and many of the old-timers make infrequent visits if any.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Wordsmith
Po1gara
0 Kudos

Desert_Brat wrote:

beeyebickiebuy wrote:

A nice sentiment, but it's been done ... over and over again, all to no avail. Many of us "old-timers" have made mention of the OT and it falls on deaf ears, so to speak. There are just too many colorful people who seem to lead the charge and then others follow. We've had many discussions on self-entitlement and those who feel the rules don't apply to them.

I found the post by one of the B&N booksellers to be chilling. But then, B&N itself is partly to blame. We lost one of the best moderators to ever participate in these forums when B&N reorganized a few months ago. Misposts were moved to the proper forums, OT posts were either moved to their own threads or removed, things were kept well organized in general.

But B&N no longer moderates the forums unless there is a major outcry. Thus, things have rapidly gone to hell in a handbasket. Take a look at the Community Room as an example. This forum used to be for regular print books. There is a thread specifically for authors to post an announcement about their book. There is a sticky at the top of the forum reminding people to post all nook and ebook items in the nook forums. But what do you find in scanning the message lists of the Community Room?

There was also a ban on outside links, especially advertising or sales links. You didn't see posts that said "read my book here ..." There was a special thread in the Nookbooks forum for authors to post, yet now you see individual promo posts with nothing but acknowledgments and kudos instead of a paragraph or two of what the books is about. Generally you only saw an individual book thread when forum members were discussing that particular book.

Us "old-timers" have often remarked on how odd it seems that people who profess to be readers, really don't read. There's even a guide for posting in the forums, but it's doubtful many have read it since they post wherever their cursor lands.

And please don't discount the Smashwords titles. Smashwords isn't some hack outfit where anyone with a computer can publish a book (although I've read a few that have made me wonder), it's become one of the leading independent publishers for ebooks. They offer a premium service where authors can pay a fee to have their book vetted and distributed to some of the top sites like B&N, Sony Reader Store, Amazon, Kobo and others.

Smashwords is very much a part of the B&N catalogue now that Google has launched its own ebook store. And not all Smashwords titles are free. So when one does become free or is offered a special price, it's worth noting.

You won't see B&N's own PubIt authors in the free listings because the lowest price allowable for an ebook is 99 cents. There is no way to offer a PubIt title for free. Recently, former PubIt author M.P. MacDonald withdrew her book, No Good Deed, from the PubIt catalogue and republished it via Smashwords in order to offer it for free from time to time. It's a valuable means of advertising. Offer the first book for free, and hopefully readers will want to read more books by this author.

And please don't confuse independent with self-published. They are two very different categories. Independent publishers operate just like the Big 6, just on a smaller scale. And lately I've noticed a lot of the Indie authors, whose books have already been in print for some time, are now republishing them via sites like Smashwords so they are available in electronic form. Probably because a lot of the smaller publishers don't have the means to offer digital formats.

So where is the answer in all of this? I don't know that there is one. In this age of self-entitlement, common courtesy is thrown out the window. The anonymity of the Internet pretty much allows people to behave however they choose. Rules don't apply to these people. It's their misconcept of freedom of expression or freedom of speech that says they can do or say whatever they wish.

While I appreciate the frustration expressed, there is no easy answer. Petitions to B&N seem to fall on deaf ears. B&N itself doesn't seem to understand that all of the in-fighting and disorganization does, indeed, reflect on its reputation and that of its users. Maybe one of the best things B&N could do is shut down everything but the blogs and the moderated book clubs. I'd hate to see it come to that, but frankly this is no longer the place it once was, and many of the old-timers make infrequent visits if any.

Well said DB!

Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

CyborgQueen wrote:

swan480 wrote:

CyborgQueen wrote:

I would love to do it myself, but I'm lazy, and frankly, I don't even know how I check for freebies and how long they were free, etc etc.

See, this is exactly what bothers me.  You can't be bothered to figure out how to do it yourself, but you'll complain if someone else doesn't do it the way YOU want it done?  And by you, I mean "you and a bunch of others who have expressed basically the same complaints while expecting a free service to be made-to-order to their desires."

I actually think it's a great idea for the complainers to start their own blog.  If you aren't happy with how the free nookbook thread has evolved, no one is forcing you to check it!

I may have made the statement wrong, so I apolgoize for that.  What I meant is  I am not a very reliable person to keep up a blog or a list. Someone who is decicated to keep everything fresh and going such as Doug, Kristin,  and a number of others that work their butt off will be much better than I.

I'll never complain if someone didn't do it the "way I want it done"...

I totally misunderstood you then, and I'm sorry!  :smileysad:

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Frequent Contributor
_deb_

I consider the free ebook thread the way I do a lot of things.  It is a matter of choice.  When it worked for me, it was great.  I likened it to when my grocery store went away from the weekly coupons to the little discount card that I could hang on my keychain. THRILLED didn't describe how I felt.  I didn't have to clip coupons, remember to take them with me, make sure I bought the right size and brand, and then.....and for some reason I had a real issue with this step....remember to take them out of my purse and redeem them.  I was notoriously ariving back home with a purse full of unused coupons.  I was also never one to visit a whole set of grocery stores to take advantage of every bargain.  I had my favorite and it got all my business. I figured some weeks I saved and others maybe not.

Anyway, the thread used to work the same way my little discount card did for me.  Quick, concise, and easy for me to discern if I wanted to even open the book's link to check it out.  None...or very few Smashwords options.  Publishers noted.  Organized in a list.  Now that is it is not that way, it doesn't work as well for me.  However, as I am not willing to take on the maintenance of the thread to keep it the way I like it, my choice is to just move on.  Just as there are many who choose to save a lot more money than I do by investing the time to clip the coupon and travel from store to store for the best deal, there are many who will now find more free books than I will. 

Its all about being willing to make your own choices and allow others to freely make theirs.

Hope to see you later at...

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy

YAY!  Three free nook book posts in a row!

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy

Hats off to cherryblossommj for the great free nook book post, especially identifying the genres.

Let's all go over there and award a laurel to this post.

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy

I knew it wouldn't last

After getting back on track we get two OT posts.

To Jenniisme who wrote "It is truly a shame that this thread has become so off kilter."  You interrupted a return to free nook book postings with your unnecessary post, which returned the thread to "off kilter."

And hey gwwilli, you do not need to make an OT post over there to thank people for posting free books.  That is what laurels are for.

Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

Re: I knew it wouldn't last

Someone suggested the other day that we send private messages to remind OT posters in the free ebooks thread that we're trying to get back on topic.  I think that's a great idea.  Otherwise this is going to turn into the free ebooks OT complaint thread, and then those who hate reading the complaints won't use it.

Wordsmith
Sardonicus
0 Kudos

If only Gandhi could pen a Form Letter for us . . . ,

[ Edited ]

swan480 wrote:

Someone suggested the other day that we send private messages to remind OT posters in the free ebooks thread that we're trying to get back on topic.  I think that's a great idea.  Otherwise . . .

Good idea, BUT . . .   :smileyhappy:  that'd better be one delicately-worded PM!

If not, a flame war rivaling post-quake 'Frisco in '06 could ensue.

Just sayin'  :smileyindifferent:

The people who live in a golden age usually go around complaining how yellow everything looks.

- Randall Jarrell

Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

Re: If only Gandhi could pen a Form Letter for us . . . ,

Sardonicus wrote:

swan480 wrote:

Someone suggested the other day that we send private messages to remind OT posters in the free ebooks thread that we're trying to get back on topic.  I think that's a great idea.  Otherwise . . .

Good idea, BUT . . .   :smileyhappy:  that'd better be one delicately-worded PM!

If not, a flame war rivaling post-quake 'Frisco in '06 could ensue.

Just sayin'  :smileyindifferent:

Are you saying that most people here might have some difficulty wording a PM delicately?  Whyever would you think that?  :smileywink:

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy
0 Kudos

In Doug's free nook book thread, is it really necessary to post that a book is no longer free?  After all most folks:

• Know that "free" is temporary.
  • Will see the price when they click or hover on the title or icon.
  • Have either already downloaded the free book or passed on it.

I am not sure what added value these posts have.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

beeyebickiebuy wrote:

In Doug's free nook book thread, is it really necessary to post that a book is no longer free?  After all most folks:

I think you're giving "most folks" too much credit.  :smileywink:

I never saw (don't see) the value in those posts, either, but hey, I apparently have no idea what is valuable... 

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy
0 Kudos

Most folks

[ Edited ]

Ya_Ya wrote:

beeyebickiebuy wrote:

I think you're giving "most folks" too much credit.  :smileywink:

I never saw (don't see) the value in those posts, either, but hey, I apparently have no idea what is valuable... 

Yeah, you are right.  I forgot that I got beat up on here for suggesting that nook owners are probably intelligent because they read.  And no, I am not suggesting that we reopen that discussion.  I am only trying to, reinforce your tongue-in-cheek comment.

Correspondent
MuseK

beeyebickiebuy wrote:

• Will see the price when they click or hover on the title or icon.
  • Have either already downloaded the free book or passed on it.

I am not sure what added value these posts have.

Actually, when the thread first started annd the implied meaning was to post books that were free for a limitedtime so people would not miss them ( some books were only free for a few days), there were post staing when they were no longer free
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI

Re: If you want something to die, let it.

Sardonicus wrote:

Ya_Ya wrote:
I honestly think the entire discussion inside and outside of that thread is futile.

:smileysurprised: Really?  "Honestly . . . futile"?

How many times have you participated "inside and outside" of that thread in this "futile" discussion since . . . say . . . yesterday?

Once?  Thrice? A half-dozen?  More?

Whatever, Ya_Ya.  No biggie.

It's a free country, bless your heart.:smileyhappy::smileywink::smileyhappy:

Ya_Ya - posts > 2,900

Sardonicus - posts 338

You question her level of participation?