Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw

Re: It's a free country.

In case no one here noticed Doug no longer posts on that thread. People keep arguing about how Doug did it yet he doesn't do it anymore!! Let it go people. There is no rational reason that those taking their time need to still go by Doug's rules. The more I read all the emotion generated the more I think there just needs to be an entire new thread not bound by Doug's rules.

Wordsmith
ProfReader

Okay, All that needs to be done is to only make a post if you have a free book otherwise don't post. That is as simple as it needs to be.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4

Goodness, just create a new thread and start fresh.  The other one is insanely long now anyway.

I really don't see why this is so difficult.  Just post whatever free ebooks you would like to share and let others do the same.  Instead of arguing for months over how everyone helps, you should all just be grateful that people are willing to put their time into doing so in the first place.

* All instances of the word "you" are meant generally.

Wordsmith
swan480

Ya_Ya wrote:

Post all the OT, Smashwords freebies and useless notifications you'd like.  It is, afterall, a free country.  As has been pointed out, what Doug thought doesn't matter , but it's more than a bit hypocritical to use his intention as a justification in some instances and not all and ignore it in others. 

Good thing I haven't been doing that, then.  I've been citing Doug's original post, where he said Smashwords titles were okay.  And even in the quote you gave, he said "some filtering is needed," in HIS opinion, but if you have a good reason for posting a Smashwords title, that's fine.

I'm tired of being told I'm hypocritical or "talking from both sides of my mouth."  I have been nothing but consistent.  I've supported Smashwords posts (though I have suggested people say why they are posting the title), and when people have complained that it's not the way Doug did it, I've pointed out that he did say it was okay.  Whether he said this because it's a free country or because he personally likes Smashwords titles, ultimately, the meaning is the same: We can post Smashwords titles.

I have never varied from this stance, and considering there are others who have stated the same thing, I feel like your attacks against me are becoming rather personal.  Clearly you have a problem with me, but I'd appreciate it if you would refrain from hinting that I'm a hypocrite or making other personal accusations.

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy
0 Kudos

Hey jesla and Steve

[ Edited ]

@jesla

Not sure we really needed a new free book thread because Doug's was back on track.  But I really don't care as long as we have one that everyone will use.  Thanks for taking the lead on this.

Please tell Steve that "off-topic" in the free book thread is not at all subjective.  If a post contains the announcement of a free book, then it is "on topic."  If it does not, then it is "off topic."

Pretty simple.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat

Re: Hey jesla and Steve

beeyebickiebuy wrote: ... Not sure we really needed a new free book thread because Doug's was back on track...

There's really no such thing as a thread that is too long. Once you sign in and click on a message to read, it automatically takes you to the first unread message since your last visit.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Frequent Contributor
jesla
0 Kudos

we thank you for your clarification

but Steve stands by his original statement.  :smileywink:

And now I am done with this senseless bickering. I had hoped to inject a bit of humor to defuse this nonsense but  it doesn't appear to have helped. I surrender. Y'all have at it. I'm done.

Inspired Wordsmith
Colleen_Rose

Re: we thank you for your clarification

I appreciated the humor - especially because my husband's name is Steve.  I will check any thread that has free books listed on it. :smileyhappy:

jesla wrote:

And now I am done with this senseless bickering. I had hoped to inject a bit of humor to defuse this nonsense but  it doesn't appear to have helped. I surrender. Y'all have at it. I'm done.

bvxszac

Colleen

Optimist: Someone who isn't sure whether life is a tragedy or a comedy but is tickled silly just to be in the play. ~Robert Brault
Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy

Re: we thank you for your clarification

jesla wrote:

The humor did not go unnoticed or unappreciated from here.  It was a welcome relief.

I have not seen any "senseless bickering" since you created the thread, for which I thank you once again.  there have just been a few posts by people expressing their opinions.

Contributor
JoAnnB

Re: The Official OT Free NOOKbook summary thread

[ Edited ]

Good grief!!  Some of you need to get a life, get a job, volunteer somewhere to help your local community or something because it seems you have a lot of free time on your hands if you have this much time to bicker about the rules on a free, public forum about how to post about free books.

I, for one, appreciate all free books that are posted, Smashwords or otherwise.  If the title intrigues me, I check it out, read the description, read the reviews and decide to download it or not.  It is really that simple.  I have found several good books and authors, including Smashwords titles, that I would never had found if not for the free book thread.  I've only had my Nook since January and have tons of free books thanks to the thread.

I'll admit sometimes I get disappointed when I check the forum and there seems to be alot of new posts in the thread and then they turn out to be OT posts. But it only takes a few minutes to scroll through them and move on.  The sheer nastiness of some of the posters who chastise users for making posts they disagree with is astounding.  As a new user, I would have been turned off along time ago if I didn't have a thick skin and was familiar with how nasty people can be on the web when they can be anonymous.  If you wouldn't treat someone that way face-to-face, what makes it okay to say those things online?

Consider this, the NOOK appeals to book lovers of all ages.  I would imagine that many users are not internet saavy and don't know all the ins/outs and acronyms of posting on a forum.  Cut them some slack as they just want to help and be part of the community not chastized, made to feel inferior and chased away.

I say give it a rest already.  Just appreciate the efforts that people are trying to make, if the post is OT or the book doesn't appeal to you then move on. It is really that simple.

Now I think I will go read one of the many free books I have on my NOOK thanks to the contributors to the free book thread.  It might even be a great Smashwords title that I would have missed out on if not for someone "breaking the rules" and posting it.

All comments posted here are, of course, IMHO.

Happy Reading!

J

So many great books. so little time.

Contributor
Alex_G
0 Kudos

Thread is too long

Desert_Brat wrote:

beeyebickiebuy wrote: ... Not sure we really needed a new free book thread because Doug's was back on track...

There's really no such thing as a thread that is too long. Once you sign in and click on a message to read, it automatically takes you to the first unread message since your last visit.

That is exactly why the thread is too long. Its too long for the newbies (like me) not for people who had been around these posts since Doug created them.

I love reading but having too go through almost 60 pages of a thread so you can realise when a new post has been added was almost too much for me :smileyhappy: Okay I admit I still checked every book, and added a lot on my wishlist.... and I laughed my head off and got a bit upset sometimes about the OT.... especially by the nastiness from some particular people and I said thank goodness I never post before I get a feel of the people :smileyhappy: but on the whole you are a nice batch

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat

Re: Thread is too long

Alex_G wrote:
That is exactly why the thread is too long. Its too long for the newbies (like me) not for people who had been around these posts since Doug created them.

In the past, I've always advised newcomers to go to the last page and read from the bottom up to have the most current info. When you've read as far as you desire, click on the message options and mark all posts as read. Then the next time you check in, it will take you to the first unread post.

Also, when you've read all of the threads that you care to read, you can also click on the options link and mark all threads as read.

Distinguished Correspondent
javabird
0 Kudos

Re: Thread is too long

You can also subscribe to the RSS feed to see regular updates

Inspired Wordsmith
Colleen_Rose

[ Edited ]

just thought I would bump this back to the top before things get carried away on the Free Book Thread.

Colleen

Optimist: Someone who isn't sure whether life is a tragedy or a comedy but is tickled silly just to be in the play. ~Robert Brault
Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy

Here we go again

After a nice run of posts of the announcement of free books on the Free NOOKbook Summary thread a series of off-topic posts has begun.

shrug  Oh well.  Here's to hoping that folks will use this or some other thread for OT posts and we can start another long run.

Correspondent
Rose_Bee

bga_reviews wrote:

I'm sorry to be OT on this, but this is a book from the Google Digital Library scans, and can not be downloaded to any of the Nook eReaders, just the Nook desktop applications.  All of the books with this description are from Google Books, in the public domain, and free.  Please don't clutter this discussion with these books.

All free Google ebooks can be downloaded as epubs and sideloaded to ones Nook.

I'm not sure where you got your information that they could only be downloaded to the Nook desktop applications.  Besides the book Kathylcsw linked to was a B&N version, and which can be downloaded to a nook (& doesn't even need to be sideloaded).

Also, I don't consider posting about one book to be 'cluttering the discussion'

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden

Re: Here we go again

@ beeyebickiebuy

I wouldn't call 2 comments "a series of off-topic posts".  And Rose_Bee moved her comment so you are down to 1 comment posted, relax.

Pinky :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy
0 Kudos

Pink_Maiden wrote:

@ beeyebickiebuy

I wouldn't call 2 comments "a series of off-topic posts".  And Rose_Bee moved her comment so you are down to 1 comment posted, relax.

Pinky :smileyhappy:

Fair enough.  After such a long run, the interruption seemed disappointing, I guess.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

bga_reviews wrote:

Boots and Saddles  

This is an EXACT reproduction of a book published before 1923. This IS NOT an OCR'ed book with strange characters, introduced typographical errors, and jumbled words. This book may have occasional imperfections such as missing or blurred pages, poor pictures, errant marks, etc. that were either part of the original artifact, or were introduced by the scanning process. We believe this work is culturally important, and despite the imperfections, have elected to bring it back into print as part of our continuing commitment to the preservation of printed works worldwide. We appreciate your understanding of the imperfections in the preservation process, and hope you enjoy this valuable book. 

I'm sorry to be OT on this, but this is a book from the Google Digital Library scans, and can not be downloaded to any of the Nook eReaders, just the Nook desktop applications.  All of the books with this description are from Google Books, in the public domain, and free.  Please don't clutter this discussion with these books.

Google books has been part of the B&N catalog for a long time.

Any ebook listed in the B&N catalog will auto-download to the nooks -- with the exception of enhanced content, which only download to the Nook Color (Read To Me books, etc.)

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy
0 Kudos

Woo-hoo!!!!

The Free NOOKbook Summary thread is back on track!