Contributor
Alex_G
0 Kudos

Re: Free Book Lists

Pinky thanks a million for all the effort you are putting in the creating the lists.

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden

Everyone is very welcome :smileyhappy:  I just wish I knew how to separate the list like doug used to do, at least I can sort by publisher.  I realized after I posted yesterday I made a couple of mistakes with publishers, but oh well, I will make corrections next time.  Changes I made on my master list didn't carry over to the list I posted.

I'm glad it has made everyone so happy, this thread needed a little bit of happy :smileyhappy:

Pinky

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy
0 Kudos

Excellent job Pink_Mainden.  I am glad to see that the trhead did not die and we have you to thank for this.

I am not sure how you keep track of all of this stuff.

A request - would it be possible to place next to the publisher's name an indication of their primary genre, e.g., Romance, Technical, Christian, etc.?  This would be quite helpful to those who have no interest in specific genres.

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

beeyebickiebuy wrote:

Excellent job Pink_Mainden.  I am glad to see that the trhead did not die and we have you to thank for this.

A request - would it be possible to place next to the publisher's name an indication of their primary genre, e.g., Romance, Technical, Christian, etc.?  This would be quite helpful to those who have no interest in specific genres.

I would be happy to, but I'm not sure about a lot of the publishers.  Would anyone be willing to help me out with that?

Pinky

Distinguished Correspondent
blemons

Pink_Maiden wrote:

beeyebickiebuy wrote:

I would be happy to, but I'm not sure about a lot of the publishers.  Would anyone be willing to help me out with that?

Pinky

I may be wrong, so feel free to correct me:smileyhappy:

I had a general idea on some, but googled them just to see what I found:

Samhain is one you may want to put a warning by - as is frequently (but not always) done when people post titles by them...

mission statement from baker publishing group:

Baker Publishing Group publishes high-quality writings that represent historic Christianity and serve the diverse interests and concerns of evangelical readers.

They also list their other publishers under them - like Bethany House

"The Tyndale Purpose" from Tyndale House website:

Tyndale publishes Christian fiction, nonfiction, children's books, and other resources, including Bibles in the New Living Translation (NLT).

CORPORATE PURPOSE:
Minister to the spiritual needs of people, primarily through literature consistent with biblical principles.

Zondervan is another Christian publisher.  Their parent company is Harper Collins.

Pearson Education:

About Us

Educating 100 million people worldwide, Pearson is the global leader in educational publishing, providing scientifically research-based print and digital programs to help students learn at their own pace, in their own way.

About Pearson Education

We have the most widely trusted and respected programs in educational and professional publishing, and offer the most
comprehensive range of educational programs, in all subjects, for every age and level of student, from preK-12 through higher education and on into professional life.

St Martins Press and Sourcebooks both seemed to have a wide variety (according to Wikipedia)

I'm sure there's more info others can provide - I didn't have time to look them all up - and didn't see much in the quick search that I did for some...

But that's a start...

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

Thank you for your help with this blemons!  Okay, the new list has been posted with the requested publisher genre information.  Enjoy!

Pinky :smileyhappy:

blemons
0 Kudos

You're welcome!  And thank YOU for doing such a great job with the updates!

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy
0 Kudos

SPECTACULAR is how I would describe the most recent summary free book post that included the genres with each publisher.

Thank you Pink_Maiden and blemons.  I wish that I could give you more than a single laurel.

Contributor
Chicagobookworm
0 Kudos

Pinky where is the list??

blemons
0 Kudos

at the free nookbook summary thread (this thread was created just for discussion).

here is a link.  Start at the end, and scroll back a few posts and you should see the most recent updated list.

As you can see, people are adding to it and it is changing all the time...

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Book-Discussion/Free-NOOKbook-summary-thread-please-no-O...

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

Thanks Blemons!

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden

Hi gang,

I attemped to create the "Perennial List" with major help from blemons (thanks bunches).

I found out that Barnes & Noble's code does not like Mac, I had to write out each line of html code (what a PAIN, I hate .html errors, lol).  

Anyway, I posted the list on the "Free Nook Book Summary Thread" and I urge everyone to let me know if anything needs to be changed, or if you do not want this list at all.  I did this for those who are new to the threads and may not have some of these books.

Enjoy, 

Pinky :smileyhappy:

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Does anyone know how I can change my viewing options for the posts. I'm having a tough time reading Pinky's list. It's difficult for me to see that shade of blue and the lettering is so large it actually tires my eyes trying to read the list. Is there a way I can make it appear as just regular size and regular text?

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

Hi,

I don't think the options will change that information, when I created the list the color and size was written into the html code.

If you would like I can send you a message or email with the list in just black and a smaller font, I have the list saved in a message format.  Just let me know.

If anyone else would like for me to send them the list in a message or email in plain black or whatever you would like, let me know.

Pinky :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

Question for posting

Hi everyone,

I have a question please.  Spec says that he/she (I apologize to spec I do not know if you are male or female) does not want to post anything more than the book title with a link that you have to click to get any information, even the price, when posting new free books.  I thought that he/she did not know how to post with the book cover so I sent directions on how to do it and to thank him/her for the recent posts.  

Spec wrote back saying that he/she felt it was "overkill" posting a picture, the book's description, and publisher information because "With time I even found myself just grabbing all the freebies, as it costs nothing to store, and looking at whether I'm going to read it later."

I received a request from more than one person that we include the publisher, but I would like to know how you feel about the other details.  I for one do not just "grab all of the freebies", I like to know if the book is of interest to me before I download it by reading the description.  I also like having the cover included to keep an eye on the pricing with new posts.  I personally don't want to waist my time clicking on links to see if I'm interested in that book or find out that it is not free after doing so.

How do you all feel about that?  Is it overkill or do you want this information?  It was requested at one time that we include the details with the book cover and link, do you still want this when new free books are posted?

Thanks,

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Pink_Maiden wrote:

I don't think the options will change that information, when I created the list the color and size was written into the html code.

If you would like I can send you a message or email with the list in just black and a smaller font, I have the list saved in a message format.  Just let me know. 

Thank you Pinky, I would appreciate that.

In a lot of the software for creating html code, there is a button to remove formatting. Usually you just highlight the text you want unformatted and click the button.

I can also recommend the Koala Edit software. It has two tabs, one is the code, the other is WYSIWYG. You can create in either tab, i.e. if you design on the WYSIWYG, it automatically writes the code in the other tab. It's a free program and very easy to use.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Contributor
Jael_Notsri
0 Kudos

Re: Question for posting

I like the photo and the information!  I'm not a fan of having to click each title for informaiton.  I'm selective with my book downloading as I'm already going to be reading free books for 2-3 years without downloading any more, so these descriptions help immensly to streamline my book browsing process.  Thank you Pink Maiden for all your work!  I'm always thankful for everyone who's helped with the free book threads!

Contributor
Alex_G

For me, the photo or even just hyperlink and the genre of the book are usually enough but having the info does not bother me at all. Either way you do it is great. Whilst I appreciate the fact that you want everyone's opinion I personally think that since you are doing the majority of the work you should decide how you prefer it.

Thank you so much for your hard work

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

Alex_G wrote:

For me, the photo or even just hyperlink and the genre of the book are usually enough but having the info does not bother me at all. Either way you do it is great. Whilst I appreciate the fact that you want everyone's opinion I personally think that since you are doing the majority of the work you should decide how you prefer it.

Thank you so much for your hard work

Thanks Alex,

Remember, we are talking about NEW FREE nookbooks being posted, NOT the lists.  The lists will be maintained the way it is, so you can mouse over the title and see the cover and click for more information.

Pinky

Contributor
Alex_G
0 Kudos

I personally think that we should let the person posting the new free book as s/he deems fit (or with their knowledge.... it took me a bit to realise how to do the covers :smileytongue: ) and we can only hope that no one has a fit over some post and we end up with loads of OT posts.

Whilst this is my opinion, I'll follow the majority without any hassles in this case.