Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy
0 Kudos

Re: Question for posting

I cannot imagine clicking on every free book and filling up my NC with a bunch of stuff that I will never read.  That is why I asked for the genres to be added to the lists.  Thanks again for that Pink_Maiden.

Posting all of the infromation that is available for a free book is quite useful, appreciated, and I hope is the standard.  But if one cannot post the cover or a description, for whatever reason, that is OK too and should not be criticized.

Distinguished Correspondent
blemons
0 Kudos

I for one do appreciate the additional information posted - as it helps me decide more quickly what to download and what to skip (I already have way too many freebies - I can't keep loading up with every one).

I do still click on the link for more information if it looks like something I am questioning or I might enjoy.  But it helps if I can skip some right off the bat from the additional information posted.

But I also agree that it should not be REQUIRED or someone who cannot post this should not be criticized for doing so.

So in short - I agree it's helpful if you can... but appreciate every one attempting to post freebies - even if it doesn't include all that.

javabird
0 Kudos

I like to see the information about the book, including the picture. The name of publisher tells you a lot about the book (for example, Harlequin is obviously romance, Samhain is usually going to be explicit, Tyndale will be Christian themes, etc.)The picture is also useful for quickly scanning the list and eliminating/selecting choices (Romance and the Amish books, for example). Pictures also help those of us who don't have great eyesight :smileyhappy:

It's really easy to add the picture (just click the "add product " link at the top right of the menu and click the button.  

I don't download a freebie unless I think i might be interested in reading it. Why clutter up my library? ( In fact, I personally don't even find the "no longer free" list that useful, since I'm aware the whole point of the list is limited-time freebies, so I check the list frequently and check to see if the book is still free. But if other people find it useful, no problem.)

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

If someone just posts the link from the Add Product button, then I can always hover to see the image and click through to see more. Ideally though, I do like to see the image, link, publisher, and if possible the description or the genre/subject.

Distinguished Wordsmith
spec

beeyebickiebuy wrote:

I cannot imagine clicking on every free book and filling up my NC with a bunch of stuff that I will never read.  That is why I asked for the genres to be added to the lists.  Thanks again for that Pink_Maiden.

Posting all of the infromation that is available for a free book is quite useful, appreciated, and I hope is the standard.  But if one cannot post the cover or a description, for whatever reason, that is OK too and should not be criticized.

I didn't mean to discuss this publicly as i didnt expect Pink_Maiden would paste pieces of my private response to her for public discussion.

beeyebickiebuy: To your point I definitely understand why somebody would choose to spend time to examine a freebie before purchasing. I did that before too. But I found myself spending too much time on all that and I approached it from psychological aspect: Is it really worth to spend all that time to save $2 $3 even $4 ($10 books show here rarely)? I mean it's a price of fancy ice coffee, gallon of gas or 2 bus rides and we dont put that much thought into purchasing that. Actually since all the promotions seem to be of the authors' old writings to promote newest non-free ebooks (a.k.a "bonus material" in today's free ebook) the better comparison is to a free day-old sushi to promote fresh sushi. So is it worth it?

So it's all psychology: I was examining all of that myself, I'm currently clicking almost all trying to spend minimal time on all that, while considering dropping that all, which i think is the natural evolution of things (perhaps that's why Doug left). I hope nobody gets offended by comparisons.

Similiarly if I the rule is that I need to spend time in html editor toying with pictures and links and formatting, I'm just not going to post in this thread at all (most likely I'll stop, less likely start another thread). I do want to share, I do enjoy other people being thankful for sharing what I've found, but if I have to start spending more time that I do today, I'd rather spend it with family, even doing nothing collectively.

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy

spec wrote:

beeyebickiebuy: To your point I definitely understand why somebody would choose to spend time to examine a freebie before purchasing. I did that before too. But I found myself spending too much time on all that and I approached it from psychological aspect: Is it really worth to spend all that time to save $2 $3 even $4 ($10 books show here rarely)? I mean it's a price of fancy ice coffee, gallon of gas or 2 bus rides and we dont put that much thought into purchasing that. Actually since all the promotions seem to be of the authors' old writings to promote newest non-free ebooks (a.k.a "bonus material" in today's free ebook) the better comparison is to a free day-old sushi to promote fresh sushi. So is it worth it?

So it's all psychology: I was examining all of that myself, I'm currently clicking almost all trying to spend minimal time on all that, while considering dropping that all, which i think is the natural evolution of things (perhaps that's why Doug left). I hope nobody gets offended by comparisons.

Similiarly if I the rule is that I need to spend time in html editor toying with pictures and links and formatting, I'm just not going to post in this thread at all (most likely I'll stop, less likely start another thread). I do want to share, I do enjoy other people being thankful for sharing what I've found, but if I have to start spending more time that I do today, I'd rather spend it with family, even doing nothing collectively.

I am not sure what it is that anyone else does to determine if they are going to grab a free book that is offered, but it takes me less than 30 seconds to decide.  If I just downloaded every free book that was offered it would take a whole lot more time to deal with them once they were on my nook.  So, let's say we see 20 new titles on here each week.  For me that is the expenditure of less than 10 minutes, which doesn't seem overly outrageous in the larger scheme of things.

Also, we don't spend time deciding on the purchase of "fancy ice coffee, gallon of gas or 2 bus rides" because these things do not present the variability of a book, i.e., you already know what you are going to get before you buy them.  

Inspired Contributor
lives2read
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Lets just keep it simple, I love the cover and link so that if I think it is an interesting book I can go and look it over, read reviews if there are any and get it or not. I don't mind the other info, but it must make it a lot of work to do all of the posting the way everyone wants it. If we didn't have a no longer free list, that could save lots of time. I love that Pinky is doing this, and will take it anyway that she wished to do it. Thank you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Colleen_Rose

I think people should post as they see fit.  If spec doesn't what to add info, their choice.  I personally appreciate the information posted.

Colleen

Optimist: Someone who isn't sure whether life is a tragedy or a comedy but is tickled silly just to be in the play. ~Robert Brault
Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden

New Lists Posted on the "Free Nookbook Summary Thread"

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that I posted the new "Perennial List" on the "Free Nookbook Summary Thread".  I had to break the list into three parts because of character limits.  One part is broken down to include only "Bibles, Educational, Government, Religious Reference, Television & Reference".  The other two lists are A-M & N-Z.  I'm sorry, I didn't know how else to break it down.

I changed the font back to a smaller font and the default link color to black.  I'm sorry, I didn't think of those using their Nook to view these lists.  If anyone would like to have these lists in any other format please just let me know.

I also went through the "Free Nookbook" area and found a few more titles that we didn't have listed.

Pinky :smileyhappy:

Contributor
Cats_Meow
0 Kudos

I don't think it is overkill. It is easy to cut and paste to list the book synopis and publisher.

Thanks for all your hard work, Pink Maiden. 

Cat

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy
0 Kudos

I don't know if this has been proposed previously and I apologize in advance if it has:

Would it make sense to isolate all posts about books that are no longer free in a separate thread just for that purpose?  That way, the free book thread would only contain posts about books that are free at the time of the post.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

I'd rather have the update in the thread that first said the book was free. Why would a notice that Book X is no longer free be considered off-topic for a thread on free books anyway? Frankly, I find the extremely strict and restrictive interpretations of what's on topic or off topic to be FAR more irritating than having one or two posts that I consider irrelevant.
Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
Inspired Wordsmith
Colleen_Rose
0 Kudos

I like having both on the same thread so I can scroll back and forth if need be.  It may also create confusion with too many places to look to get information (this thread, free books and then not free).

Colleen

Optimist: Someone who isn't sure whether life is a tragedy or a comedy but is tickled silly just to be in the play. ~Robert Brault
Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

I have to agree with the Colllen_Rose and Omnigeek, I think it should all be in one thread.  And I agree that it would cause confusion if people had to look at two threads for information about the free books listed, not to mention the inconvenience.

Pinky

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy
0 Kudos

Omnigeek wrote:
I'd rather have the update in the thread that first said the book was free. Why would a notice that Book X is no longer free be considered off-topic for a thread on free books anyway? Frankly, I find the extremely strict and restrictive interpretations of what's on topic or off topic to be FAR more irritating than having one or two posts that I consider irrelevant.

I don't think that I said that the "no longer free" posts were off topic, as they certainly are not.  I was just floating an idea to separate the two types of posts so that those of us who find little to no value in the "no longer free" posts would not see them.  In the big scheme of things it doesn't matter either way.  However you guys want to do this is fine with me.

javabird
0 Kudos

spec wrote:

I didn't mean to discuss this publicly as i didnt expect Pink_Maiden would paste pieces of my private response to her for public discussion.

I'm sorry to hear that happened. That is definitely not appropriate nor is it good manners in any forum. 

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

I posted portion of one sentence only. I felt like it was an issue to bring to topic, I wanted to know if others felt the way spec did to see if I was waisting my time posting information. If everyone didn't want the information I didn't want to waist my time posting it.  Excuse me for trying to make everyone happy.

Pinky

javabird
0 Kudos

Pink_Maiden wrote:

I posted portion of one sentence only. I felt like it was an issue to bring to topic, I wanted to know if others felt the way spec did to see if I was waisting my time posting information. If everyone didn't want the information I didn't want to waist my time posting it.  Excuse me for trying to make everyone happy.

Pinky

It's certainly ok to bring an issue to the forum. But rather than a direct quote without the person's permission, it would be better to paraphrase the comment, such as "I have received comments from users that they would prefer doing so-and-so..." 

javabird

[ Edited ]

spec wrote:

I think that's something everyone has to decide for themself. For some people, every $2 or $3 adds up, and a fancy coffee is a luxury. While it's great that you can afford it, some people have to be more frugal, so it might indeed be worth it to spend time deciding before making a purchase.

No one is forcing you to share, so if you don't have time, then don't. But you don't have to spend a lot of time "toying with html" either, since B&N makes it easy. You can simply click the "Add product" link, enter the book title or author name and click the "Add product and image" button. The "Add product" link is to the far right of the menu bar. 

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

Trouble with mouse overs?

Is it just me or is anyone else having trouble with mouse overs on the "Free NookBook Summary Thread"?

Pinky